Corsair / Farrier 31 /9 variations

Sailabout

Super Anarchist
Yes Phil's tiller, cassette and rudder blade.

I don't have a photo of the actual daggerboards.. but here's a comparison between a Phil's elliptical and the factory board.  

The Phils board is significantly lighter than the original board.

View attachment 325722
I wondered about mooring a 31 with the tapered foil as now there is a large gap for barnacles to grow and lock your board up?

Sulzerman

Tasmania
Hi guys, I have just bought a Farrier F9A project boat. Should be same as the Corsair 31 I believe, how does the centreboard retaining system work?

If the rope breaks can it fall out the bottom or does it come out if I remove the mast step,  sorry for the question but I cannot find out any info on it?

Airwick

Victoria, BC
Hi guys, I have just bought a Farrier F9A project boat. Should be same as the Corsair 31 I believe, how does the centreboard retaining system work?

If the rope breaks can it fall out the bottom or does it come out if I remove the mast step,  sorry for the question but I cannot find out any info on it?
Not 100% sure on an F9 but I would assume it's like most F-boats and comes out the top after removing the mast step. The top section of the daggerboard is also usually "rectangular" to fit snuggly in the trunk (rather than having the foil shape extending to the top section).

The daggerboard should also float so if the rope breaks while sailing it will just move up a bit and stay in the 1/2 way down position.

Charlie P Mayer

Anarchist
F-27 rudder fence also fixed ventilation caused by seagrass on the rudder (ICW - south Texas). 

In heavy weed areas without the fence, the rudder would load up and stall at speed - slowly rounded up no matter what you did with the sheets or tiller.

With the fence, same conditions, ventilation down to the top of the fence - could clearly see the top of the fence if you crawled back there to look.

Didn't get rid of the weed, but you didn't lose control.

Weird thing to see, but the fence did its job 20 years ago.  Don't know why it was such a revelation on SailRocket 2.

can-UK

Dubai
could never understand the rudder and dagger board on a 28 , the NACA profiles are completely different, rudder for slow speed and the board for high speed?

When you compare to the C24 with the aluminum sections hard to work out what they thinking was with the 28
I have a 28R and completely agree.  I now have “phil’s foils” foils - both daggerboard and dagger-rudder.  The factory rudder used to ventilate at 16knots.  The new high aspect rudder blade (with no fence) never ventilates and, surprisingly, has much better low speed control.  My race starts are better because i can now hold the boat into the wind without accidentally tacking or getting stuck in irons.

The daggerboard has saved approx 10-15kgs and allows me to point high and sail faster upwind.