Corsair/Farrier Anarchy

deminimis

Orygun
First no-drama 970 mast raising this past weekend. Much, much improved. Still, no desire to return to the days of trailer sailing this beast, but so much better than before.

290058164_10221336727624620_2933194002208547888_n.jpg

MultiThom

Super Anarchist
Benicia, CA
Biggest difference between the F24 Original and F242 was the change from fixed to rotating mast, as you say. But there were also differences related to kick up centerboard on the Original vs Daggerboard on the F242. Rudders were also different. I think Corsair designed the Original while Farrier designed the F242. Corsair later bought the rights to the F242 when Farrier left. Of all the boats, only the F242 was actually a Farrier design (while the Dash' and Sprints were revisions to the F242 without Farrier input).

Airwick

Victoria, BC
Yes, the sprint 750 has a mark1 and a mark2 as well. I think the mark2 has redesigned wider amas (and same large cockpit deck) I think from splitting the mold and adding material "in the middle" and if I remember correctly the "Dash" is a larger cabin version of the mark2 750 (i.e. with wider amas). The bottom half of the main hull and the beams would be the only "constant" across all of these.
Mine is the F24 mark2, rotating vs fixed mast, daggerboard vs centerboard, transom hung rudder vs under, and no interior molding being the main difference from the mark1 F24

Sailabout

Super Anarchist
So are there essentially four variants?
  • F-24: Original boat, fixed mast
  • F-24 MK II: Added rotating mast
  • Dash 750: Updates as you noted above
  • Sprint 750: Smaller “cabin”, rotating mast
I understand all pretty much the same amas and hull.

I think Pestou has the pop-up hatch.
I think we are mixing F boats with Corsairs hence the confusion, seems like both had mk1 and mk2 but are different.
If I call the factory and say I want a hatch for C24 mk1 I get what Team Pestou has, perhaps his boat is a Farrier and not a Corsair?
manual hatch struts with pins, C24 mk2 has gas struts, hatch is bigger along with new deck and more space inside same like as 760.
Maybe its easier to ask boat built in USA or Vietnam?

Last edited:

MultiThom

Super Anarchist
Benicia, CA
Not F24 Original since has daggerboard. Spreaders are solid and not tubular so likely a Pre 2000 F242. Someone changed the bowsprit to lengthen it and those are not factory hatches in the amas.

MultiThom

Super Anarchist
Benicia, CA
Dunno, single axle trailer is not normal for a F27. But the mast base does look different than I recall on my F242.

Last edited:

nota

Anarchist
PIC IS NOT FROM IT'S LOCAL IN S DADE

MAYBE OLDER MAYBE FAKE

see the boat first do not send cash

I was looking at the boat but
just noticed the is BACKGROUND IS WRONG

LOOKS far away from here

deminimis

Orygun
Having my boat at a marina, and not having it close at hand, is going to take some getting used to. It full-on nukes here and although the boat is located in the least windy part of The Gorge, it's still windy as Farrier. I went down after work yesterday because I was concerned (felt like it was gusting into the upper 30s, perhaps into the 40s). Added more dock lines. Snubbers on order. Considering a jib sock. I'm using so many fenders (and two buoys) the dockside ama looks like the Michelin man. Even reinstalled the mast raising shrouds for a little extra sumsum in case something goes sideways. On the upside, I'm at the end of the dock, so no one is going to break free and ram into me. On the downside, I'm at the end of the dock and I get hammered by the wind. Still, better than trailer sailing.

Loose Cannon

Super Anarchist
Planet Earth
it is on c-list for 12.5k
Seriously suspicious of that listing, much like the C31 scam that was passed around for a couple years.

I have a real live genuine 242 that I just spent 2 years Restomodding for sale - it is not going for 15k, and I am not a prince from a mysterious foreign country trying to put $5Mil in your bank account :)

Last edited:

Tomfl

Re the C27 add

I sent an email to when it first showed up and still have not seen a reply. Florida has such a wide range of geography that I guessed it was in Florida but kinda agree it now looks like a scam. As for price I am betting things will get worse before it gets better. When COVID-19 first hit there were multiple threads claiming the bottom was about to fall out of the boat market but the opposite seemed to happen with prices seeming to increase. In the past six months or so probably half a dozen boats have arrived at the small marina where I keep my boat and all of them are what I would call junkers; but it is an out of the way place more of a commercial fishing boat marina than a private boat marina.

deminimis

Orygun
I'm on a slow moving list for the benefit of a normal slip. I'll have to fold in one ama (970). It's no big thang. Current spot, I'm all splayed out, but location is not ideal. A trick is to permanently lace as much of the beams as possible. The remaining (on our boat) four eyelets have to be loosened and retightened to allow for folding, but that's not bad.

J_Grove

Biscayne Bay
Nationwide quoted me $343/yr for a F27. Is that a mistake?

Liability $46
Comprehensive $183
Collision $114

That cannot be right. Snatch it up if it is though, and see what happens when it goes to the underwriters.

State Farm quoted me significantly less than Geico for my F27 ($1200 vs $3K), so I switched. I got the binder, and off it went for underwriting. A couple of weeks later it came back from underwriters with a few hundred higher, although still a lot less than Geico. Still waiting to hear from them on why the initial quote was incorrect. But your quote sounds too good to be true.

deminimis

Orygun
Ran into Wal-Marine yesterday. Okay, I was dropped off, like a kid at the arcade, while my wife did some shopping. I saw Lewmar anchors were on sale. I snatched one up. I read the 22# fits in a 31 locker, so I'm guessing/hoping it will fit in my 970's. Not a fan of my current danforth-in-ama situation if it ever comes to an urgent deployment situation. $161 for the 22# galvanized, so that's a mighty good deal if anyone is considering.

20220708_061709.jpg

Latest posts