Corsair/Farrier Anarchy

deminimis

Orygun
That's $3k that would have been better spent on electronics, but I ain't really complaining. However, it may sound like I am. We could use the extra 5hp where we live.

Ravenswing

I’ve had that engine on our F39 for six years now. It works best for me with a 10”, 4 blade, 7” pitch. Good reverse thrust and plenty of grunt to fight a headwind. Much better than the standard 3 blade powerboat prop they ship with.

I can’t imagine a world where my wife actually orders a boat motor. You’ve blown my mind ;)

deminimis

Orygun
I'll stick it on sometime after we pull the boat for the season (probably within the next four weeks). That said, if anyone is looking for a perfectly fine 2015 Honda 15hp extra long shaft in Oregon...

deminimis

Orygun
Light, east, squirrely winds in the Gorge yesterday. We made the best of it.

7221.jpeg

Gib808

Great pic!

I had a marine survey come back today on a 2005 C28r that i would like to buy. The surveyor said that it had water in the deck near the mast and the folding arm connection to the forward port ama. I had thought that the closed cell foam construction would not allow traditional fiber glass water issues... any advice?

Wess

Super Anarchist
and the folding arm connection to the forward port ama.
This does not make sense. The ama is the float or one of the two outer hull (not main/middle), and is distinct from the beam or aka... and none of the folding mechanism connects to the ama. So the statement the surveyor is making does not add up at least with regards location.

As for the deck near mast, while Corsair and Ian swears its not so, I can state with certainty that there was some wood (and balsa specifically) that was used there on some boats. I never had an issue on mine (or even knew it was there) but when the next owner flipped and wrecked the boat on righting it, I was at the marina when it was towed in and I and another F-boat owner were stunned to see balsa in the destroyed deck near mast. It was solid and dry but still it was balsa.

SailingTips.Ca

Feigns Knowledge
Victoria, BC
Great pic!

I had a marine survey come back today on a 2005 C28r that i would like to buy. The surveyor said that it had water in the deck near the mast and the folding arm connection to the forward port ama. I had thought that the closed cell foam construction would not allow traditional fiber glass water issues... any advice?
I've noticed that that carbon in layups can also "fool" inductive moisture meters into false positive wet readings because it can induce currents in carbon and thinks the currents are because of moisture instead.

Does anybody know if there is carbon in this area?

It's also not unheard of for boats to be constructed slightly differently in a given production run e.g. if the workers run out of one part or material they may substitute another to get the boat out the door.

deminimis

Orygun
Looks like this weekend is going to mark the end of the season for us. Plan is to pull the boat on Monday as the crew is available and we'll beat the cooler/wet weather that is on the horizon. A few Winter projects on tap: First is to remove our Honda BF15D and, hopefully, sell it in short order. New outboard and all that entails will go on shortly. After that, I need to start cranking out electronics needs (replace the hull transmitter (no speed reading all Summer)), a MFD, and all the goodies so they can talk with each other. Other items this Winter is an EPIRB, new mast/steaming light and main sail repair. Let's hope this weekend is a good one!

On a completely unrelated note, after the boat is squared away, time to start a reno on our giant aluminum suppository (marine flooring and marine components, where appropriate, are the call).

301216487_10221586428426984_6464180386496246992_n.jpg

Last edited:

MultiThom

Super Anarchist
Benicia, CA
Anyone here racing offshore/ocean with a Corsair/Farrier?
Not me currently, but annually the c/f boats in San Francisco race offshore to the Farralones and back in a double handed event. Typical winds are big and typical seas are 13+ feet. I did the same route with my F242 a bunch of times, sometimes single handed. C/F boats are robust.

jdazey

Kingston, WA
Here is a link to last year's race: https://www.cycportland.org/pnwo-home

Basically it's a race from Ilwaco, WA to (probably) Victoria, BC with one mark at Duntze Rock northwest of Cape Flattery. Say 140nm up the coast and 45 or so to Victoria. Starts mid-May, and instead of two weeks before Swiftsure, it may be one week before.

Until last year this was a mono only race. After working out some details with the OA, we were allowed to participate as a "communications boat". I've been working with the OA inspectors and board to arrive at at set of multihull SERs, and with some interest from the fleet, we should get a start. We were welcomed last year, and Presto will be participating in one form or another in 2023. We have some interest from some F-boats in NWMA, but no other committed boats at this point. You'll need a rating from PHRF-NW.

So MIzzmo, we may meet again. I look forward to it. Send me a pm if you want to discuss this in more detail.

jdazey

Kingston, WA
Well I know Invictus raced (unofficially) to HI. That was many decades ago. Dragonfly raced Van Isle 360 a few years ago. Neither are Corsairs, but there could well be many I don't know about. There are generally a number of Corsairs in Swiftsure, and I hope some of them take an interest in PNWOS. I don't want to be the only multi:)

BTW, I'm targeting Corsairs just because there are so many and most of the local racers have Corsairs. Getting some of the larger cruising cats interested hasn't been productive so far:(