Corsair/Farrier Anarchy

eric1207

Anarchist
Seattle
Did you get the mast raising/lowering sorted?  Or are there further tweaks to get it just right.  Is your wife still a little gun shy about it?  Truth be told I usually raise/lower without my wife being around.   I usually only do it once a year and wait for near perfect conditions.   Good to see you out sailing.  I imagine you've experienced that Farrier grin by now.   Yeeha!

deminimis

Orygun
Corsair grin and Corsair pucker.   Wife actually took that pic.  Her first day of actual sailing.  She did not expect to be tacking every two minutes while we shot the narrows, but trial by fire.  Sailed quite a bit the last two days.  Figured a few things out.  Got off the river almost in time yesterday.  Once I started seeing 23 knots wind (knowing gust were going to be over 30), we called it.  The Gorge is punchy and it was super punchy yesterday. 

Fixed the mast raising pivots (bimini pivots) by fab'n a spacer like other 970s have.  That helped a ton.  I need to build new triangles.  I haven't pinned the pole or come up with the right straps for that,  but that's coming.  Just a little added security doing by that.

20210902_150323.jpg

eric1207

Anarchist
Seattle
Thats the thing about daysailing in a smaller body of water:  A lot of tacking.  The closest spot for me to sail, and the area I like best is just under mile across.  I barely have a few minutes to get in the groove/zen before having to make a turn and start over again.  Fortunately there is the ddw back home where I can kick back and chill, if I don't set the spinnaker.  I actually prefer my Lightning for my typical 2 or 3 hour daysailing loop on the lake.

Monkey

Super Anarchist
I really like these boats, but the whole myth about them embarrassing monohulls is silly!  

MultiThom

Super Anarchist
Benicia, CA
I really like these boats, but the whole myth about them embarrassing monohulls is silly!  
Well, depends on the owner of the monohull.  I recall distinctly coming back from the Faralones in a race on my F24.  We're main and barberhauled jib on a reachy course in 25-35 kt breeze when we passed Thursday's Child (older race monohull that won awards in the 1980s and 90s).  He had 10 crew on the rail.  He was pissed enough to change course to try to head me up but I was bye before he got close enough to worry about.  He wasn't in the race since it was a double handed event, but he did not appreciate being passed to windward by a dinky trimaran.  

mundt

Anarchist
=
In an ideal world people wouldn't be so ridiculously petty but I've seen it happen on more than one occasion myself. 

Monkey

Super Anarchist
Well, depends on the owner of the monohull.  I recall distinctly coming back from the Faralones in a race on my F24.  We're main and barberhauled jib on a reachy course in 25-35 kt breeze when we passed Thursday's Child (older race monohull that won awards in the 1980s and 90s).  He had 10 crew on the rail.  He was pissed enough to change course to try to head me up but I was bye before he got close enough to worry about.  He wasn't in the race since it was a double handed event, but he did not appreciate being passed to windward by a dinky trimaran.  
It was my first time ever with the boat, but those silly trimarans weren’t an issue. Hell, we even stuck the rig in the water to slow down!  

5207D844-6A35-479B-AD11-DA78E2087630.jpeg

0D361BC1-9B43-4506-A1A8-67B70F1C0B67.jpeg

Max Rockatansky

DILLIGAF?
Hopefully I’m not out of line.

but I’ve just had a friend, who has cancer, ask if I would ask around to see if anyone is interested in his F-25A. Please PM me here and I’ll refer you. I don’t know what he wants for it, but he did tell me that there may be issues with the title, as in, he didn’t change it. Boat in FL.

mundt

Anarchist
=
I begrudgingly disagree.  Especially on a very windward/leeward course fast monos will get er done.  An F-27 and a 28cc are great boats but not super fast and if there's not much reaching they'll sail to the rating just like those monos will.  Going to weather, waterline will rule.

MultiThom

Super Anarchist
Benicia, CA
I begrudgingly disagree.  Especially on a very windward/leeward course fast monos will get er done.  An F-27 and a 28cc are great boats but not super fast and if there's not much reaching they'll sail to the rating just like those monos will.  Going to weather, waterline will rule.
For the shorter Corsairs 13-16 is just about the windspeed at which the tri can keep up with the longer keelboats who will point higher to weather and drive deeper downwind.  There were lots of races in Benicia where J24s were faster than my F24.  Particularly frustrating to gybe back and forth and never catch up with the symspins.  Our courses were pretty much wind-lee.  13-16 is likely the max seen on the committee boat when filling in the form.  Part of the reason PHRF TOD is not appropriate for mixed fleets of keelboats/multihulls is that skipper skill is not often the reason one type wins over another.

deminimis

Orygun
Hi Eric!  Yes, I need to order up a flatbed tarp for the rest.  Will hook that heavy bastard to the inside of the door header, drape it out over the front/mast, and down towards the ground.  Unfortunately, my shop is no longer secure, with the slider open, so I'll have to beef up the interior door (from cold storage side (boat side) to the insulated projects/gym side).  Hands are blistered up today from all that trenching:  After getting through the gravel, then the dry, rock hard, compacted clay underneath was a bear.  Eventually water made the digging a bit easier.

eric1207

Anarchist
Seattle
Wish I had a bunch of land to store stuff.  I'd be temped to frame up a bay extension on your shop.  A few pier blocks, 2x4's, rafters, T1-11, roll roofing and Bob's your uncle.  Doesn't look like you have any neighbors to object or call the bldg dept.  I get tired just setting up my boat's tarp every year... x 10 years of ownership you might be time ahead adding on to the shop.

deminimis

Orygun
No extension for me.  This may be temp (may be moving within the next few years).  If so, a 40x60 ag building will be the first order of business.  If, on the other hand, we stay where at, then I'll likely build a 25X45 addition on the end (with an east/west ridge, as opposed the the current N/S ridge)... if not both ends.

eric1207

Anarchist
Seattle
Thats the general idea; to make Deminimus' shop larger to fit his new boat.  Seems like a reasonable thing if he owns it for many years.  However, if he's going to move soon then its not a good payoff. 

deminimis

Orygun
Well, it's a start. Four hooks installed in the inside of the header. 12 more to go, after I pull the tarp back inside a bit.  16x27 18oz flatbed machinery tarp.  That's one heavy SOB.  Meeting with builder buddy tomorrow to talk new shop at the other place.  I only want to to string up this beast once or twice.  Next time will be easier, however (rolled up vs folded).

20211012_182334.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: