Cost Of Custom Race Boats

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
This is directed at the members who work or have worked in the industry.

I'm currently restoring an old full race 1/2 Tonner. It was custom designed & built pretty high tech for the early 80's - bagged foam core, titanium chains & rudder shaft, carbon & foam tiller, custom noodle spar, Harken roller hardware and so forth.

I'm curious what doing something like that would cost nowadays. I know it would be solidly into 6 figures but I'm hoping someone here can get it a bit more specific.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
What I have - a 6000 Lb pure race boat - no interior to speak of etc.

Not a 30' current sport boat.

Bagged polyester & E-glass over varying density foam - heavier in the hardware areas - nothing exotic like carbon or Kevlar fabric or epoxy.

I'm not looking for a builders quote level of accuracy, just some sort of current ballpark number.

doghouse

Super Anarchist
So, 6,000 lbs will put you in the 33 to 35 ish foot range. To be honest, carbon isn't super exotic,  but there is a little saved not using it.

Being a custom one off, 350-450k is ball park. 

Swimsailor

Super Anarchist
UT
I inquired about this sort of thing a few weeks ago, but asked the designer directly.  They said the sub-30 foot racer-cruiser I was asking about would be anywhere between $60 and $100k depending on what country it was built in.  I'm assuming $100k in the States and $60 in Asia.  

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
0.5M ?  WAG because when I was designing those sorts of boats I didn't know about the cost. Really depends on the builder and build country too. (i.e. Spain is cheaper labour than UK or US)

When a Beneteau 36.7 is about $200K you can't imagine a custom boat being less than ~2x even though the Beneteau has a nice interior, it also has huge buying power so the company is buying fittings, engines, masts, etc etc. Molds are amortized over hundred boats, interior is all CNC cut

With a custom boat you have a nice design fee to the NA, then cost of building a plug, and fairing the outside hulls. Lots of fiddly little custom composite fittings these days are expected at this level. Hardware is of higher quality and cost, carbon mast is a given. 

bjp

It seems pretty clear to me that this was a hypothetical question. Our sport doesn't currently have an equivalent to the frequently iterating custom designs in the quarter and half ton size range. When I think about custom race boats now I immediately assume millions of $, but how many 30' custom race boats built today don't have canting keels, foils, and lots of fiddly composite fittings?

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
For reference, in 1981, the price of a bare hull Serendipity 43 was 125K.  A limited run where the plug was amortized over a number of boats.  

SJB, who designed your project boat?   I love the half ton boats.

pulpit

Super Anarchist
This is directed at the members who work or have worked in the industry.

I'm currently restoring an old full race 1/2 Tonner. It was custom designed & built pretty high tech for the early 80's - bagged foam core, titanium chains & rudder shaft, carbon & foam tiller, custom noodle spar, Harken roller hardware and so forth.

I'm curious what doing something like that would cost nowadays. I know it would be solidly into 6 figures but I'm hoping someone here can get it a bit more specific.
SloopJonB,

To build a 30 footer custom with a carbon rig and basic sails I can see $100k + just in materials and labor and transport on top of that. So a 30 footer would cost you $250-$350 and would take 12-16 weeks at best with a good team.

pulpit

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
For reference, in 1981, the price of a bare hull Serendipity 43 was 125K.  A limited run where the plug was amortized over a number of boats.  

SJB, who designed your project boat?   I love the half ton boats.
Nelson/Marek

I agree about the 1/2 Tonners. Years ago Ted Brewer said he thought they were the ideal size for a race boat - small enough to be handled by a small crew but big enough to take some weather. Seemed very logical.

I loved my old 1/4 Tonner but it came up short on the weather component.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
Nelson/Marek

I agree about the 1/2 Tonners. Years ago Ted Brewer said he thought they were the ideal size for a race boat - small enough to be handled by a small crew but big enough to take some weather. Seemed very logical.

I loved my old 1/4 Tonner but it came up short on the weather component.
Agree completely but on the Lakes, G&S cleaned up with the 1/2 tonners.  Peterson had a 1/2 tonner that it took overnight races to beat.  

Would love to see your work if I get to Seattle.  Stay offline and grind/sand/prime/paint.   :D

Had a Mull 32 1/2 tonner in Detroit that didn't lose a buoy race all summer.  That would have been '76.  The G&S boats were more like '81 or so.  

Last edited by a moderator: