Could Just as Easily Have Been a Sailboat

Moonduster

Super Anarchist
How far was the closest land at the point when the people spotted the outboard powered fishing boat?

sailman

Super Anarchist
Portsmouth, RI
I sailed on tankers for a number of years...came across a life raft in the Atlantic on one of our runs. No reports in the area of vessels in distress. The Captain stopped and launched our rescue boat to take a look, being the deck engineer I was on that boat. Pretty errie approaching the raft not knowing if anyone was on board, turns out no one was it was empty. We took it on board rather than sinking it, worked out nice we cut the top off and used it as a pool for a few months.

Back on topic though, if the ship's officers were made aware of the report they should have investigated. At a minimum I would expect a report to the nearest Coast Guard station.

narecet

Super Anarchist
Well, that is a real side-track, but most likely he would have. Before the disaster, by all reports he was highly regarded by his peers, with the one report of character flaws being that he was extremely full of confidence, pushed the envelope, and was showy, which all seem related to that disaster. But none of these would seem much related to why reports of this fishing boat in distress received no action.

There is no reason to suggest he or cruise ship captains in general would choose to ignore reports of a vessel in distress.

Perhaps if this captain had blown the horn as he passed by, there would be a relation. But as he did not, no.

Back to the topic, I hope.

Last edited by a moderator:

bljones

Super Anarchist
CA
Before the disaster...
exactly. it's just like that old joke, it doesn't matter how many bridges or skyscrapers you build, how much money you give to charity, suck ONE cock and you will be known as a cocksucker forever.

Captain Schettino was probably a hell of a captain, right up until he wasn't. The worst part for the poor bastard is that his ship didn't sink, but became a big-ass blight on the shore and instant photo-op. It's like he erected a monument to his fuck-up.

belandm

Super Anarchist
Everett, WA
Before the disaster...
exactly. it's just like that old joke, it doesn't matter how many bridges or skyscrapers you build, how much money you give to charity, suck ONE cock and you will be known as a cocksucker forever.

Captain Schettino was probably a hell of a captain, right up until he wasn't. The worst part for the poor bastard is that his ship didn't sink, but became a big-ass blight on the shore and instant photo-op. It's like he erected a monument to his fuck-up.
The man abandoned ship before his passengers were safe; that's not a "one little slip and your reputation is ruined" problem, that's a "you have failed at the core requirement of your position as Captain" problem. It's not that he was a hell of a Captain and then he made a mistake; it's that he was unfit to be a Captain and was never faced with the situation before the grounding.

pogen

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
Is this in Cruising Anarchy because it involves a cruise ship?

Just askin'. B)

Now more than ever I'm committed to never setting foot aboard one of those things.

Jose Carumba

Super Anarchist
Pugetopolis
Before the disaster...

The man abandoned ship before his passengers were safe; that's not a "one little slip and your reputation is ruined" problem, that's a "you have failed at the core requirement of your position as Captain" problem. It's not that he was a hell of a Captain and then he made a mistake; it's that he was unfit to be a Captain and was never faced with the situation before the grounding.
+1

narecet

Super Anarchist
True. He failed completely when the pressure, responsibility, and (it may not be clear) possible need to buck orders from shore passed his limits. As well as having failed to exercise prudent restraint against his showoff tendencies and prudent judgment in the initial event.

That wasn't the sort of situation that faced the present captain though, from the information so far presented.

We don't know what happened here. Perhaps a culture of apathy on his ship or of excessive fear of upsetting routine, which is his responsibility. Or perhaps something else. Too soon to know, except that events proved his command to have failed here with regard to this tragic event.

belandm

Super Anarchist
Everett, WA
JS, pump your brakes, old man. You ain't winning arguments or friends, but in the CA assholympics, you have relegated me to bronze. You now own the podium.
Bronze is still on the podium - last place on the podium, but still on the podium;-)

Mike
Point taken.
JS now owns the top of the podium.

Better?
This could save him some time writing.

wFba9.png

How far was the closest land at the point when the people spotted the outboard powered fishing boat?
The article linked in the first post gives the cruise ship's position as 06° 12' 25" N, 083° 29' 08" W when the bird watchers with the 30 power spotting scope saw the small fishing boat. That puts it at over 100 nautical miles from the nearest small island and over 110 from the mainland of Panama and Costa Rica.

stickboy

Super Anarchist
Maine
How often have you passed another boat and somebody has waved at/to you? And did you go and investigate every time somebody did wave at/to you?

How do you tell the difference between somebody waving at you, or just waving to you, as people so often do.

Really? Seriously?

Are you aware that a cruise ship will probably take about 4 or 5 miles to stop?

Oh, well then, if it's too much trouble, let them die.

There is no mention of any of the recognized distress signals in any of the stories.

You have to have 'waving a red shirt with your last dying effort' documented somewhere before you offer assistance?
I don't usually wrestle with SA pigs (we don't usually get them in CA) but as a responsible skipper I feel some responsibility to offer you assistance. You need to know that you are a complete douche.

johnnysaint

Super Anarchist
How often have you passed another boat and somebody has waved at/to you? And did you go and investigate every time somebody did wave at/to you?

How do you tell the difference between somebody waving at you, or just waving to you, as people so often do.

Really? Seriously?

There is no mention of any of the recognized distress signals in any of the stories.

You have to have 'waving a red shirt with your last dying effort' documented somewhere before you offer assistance?
I don't usually wrestle with SA pigs (we don't usually get them in CA) but as a responsible skipper I feel some responsibility to offer you assistance. You need to know that you are a complete douche.
Hey arsehole. Instead of writing such crap, how about you go to the other thread and read the post by Archy - a regular deck officer on the Star Princess, and see what he has to say.

Ishmael

Fuctifino

Really? Seriously?

Hey arsehole. Instead of writing such crap, how about you go to the other thread and read the post by Archy - a regular deck officer on the Star Princess, and see what he has to say.
That doesn't negate the fact that you are a douche.

johnnysaint

Super Anarchist

Really? Seriously?

Here we have the great American Way. We don't like your point of view so we insult you right off the bat.

johnnysaint

Super Anarchist
Here we have the great American Way. We don't like your point of view so we insult you right off the bat.
Huh. That seems to be more the JS way. You reflect poorly on your countrymen.

You, Sir, apparently represent the douche in its entirety - the nozzle, the bag, and most importantly, the effluvium. Good Show.

Mike
Obviously it is the American Way. Guess that's why you are welcome all over the world.

Ishmael

Fuctifino
Huh. That seems to be more the JS way. You reflect poorly on your countrymen.

You, Sir, apparently represent the douche in its entirety - the nozzle, the bag, and most importantly, the effluvium. Good Show.

Mike
Obviously it is the American Way. Guess that's why you are welcome all over the world.
Nationality has nothing to do with it. I'm a Canuck, and I see representatives of many nations in many posts calling you a douche.