Couple Cruise for 1000 Days

svitale

Anarchist
Been lurking since the beginning of this show, but never really had anything to say.But Im a little surprised no one has done any comparisons between this farce and Jon Sanders 658 day triple circumnavigation.
check this article out ESPN

some of the better quotes

At first, as he contemplates Stowe's proposed journey to nowhere, Sanders doesn't sound fazed by the possible loss of one of his 15 sailing marks listed in the "Guinness Book of Records." But his competitive nature soon surfaces, perhaps shaping his opinion that Stowe will have his work cut out for him.
After looking over pictures of Stowe's boat on the 1,000 Days Voyage Web site, Sanders expresses concern over the "heaviness" of the sails and rigging compared to the vessel that he had sailed. He acknowledges some advantages to having an "aircraft carrier" over a "frigate," but he is not convinced that Stowe can successfully complete the journey. "Granted, I haven't seen his boat firsthand," Sanders says, "but if I were laying odds, I'd give him 20-1.
Crisscrossing competitive juices aside, Sanders is clear about wishing Stowe safe passage. When asked to provide just one piece of advice, he shuns grand philosophical musings in favor of a practical key to survival: "Silly as it may seem, the biggest risk I've found is being run down by other ships."
(Editor's Note: The original version of this article mentioned that the Hayden Planitarium would plot Stowe's progress at sea as an instructional tool for children. In fact, the Planitarium has not agreed to do this, and the reference has been removed.)
Finding the time to sleep with only himself to stand watch? No problem. A couple of naps during the day and a couple at night should do the trick.
Smashing into ships while asleep? A collision avoidance radar system will sound a beep when a ship enters his vicinity.

Sleeping through that beep? No chance. Stowe is so sensitive to the smallest changes on his boat that even the slightest shift in wind direction would cause him to awaken.
The article also mentions Alejandro Molina as the first mate. Exactly how many mates has Reid gone through on his quest to get the POS out to sea?

svitale

Anarchist
Organization Name/AddressAMERICAN FRIENDS OF STOWE INC

42 WHITE ST APT 3

NEW YORK, NY

10013-3507
NautiGirl needs to learn to use Google

American Friends of Stowe (AFS) is a nonprofit organization that supports the Stowe School, one of England’s leading independent boarding schools

Most 501C3's need to register with the Secretary of State for the state that they incorporate in and have to file federal income taxes. If any officers receive compensation it's listed there. We should be able to get a copy of the income tax forms if we know how they are registered and if they filed.

My guess is that Reid came up with some bullshit educational mission to get the 501c3.

svitale

Anarchist
NYS Department of State

Division of Corporations

Entity Information

Selected Entity Name: 1000 DAYS NON-STOP AT SEA, LTD.

Selected Entity Status Information Current Entity Name: 1000 DAYS NON-STOP AT SEA, LTD.

Initial DOS Filing Date: SEPTEMBER 16, 1997

County: NEW YORK

Jurisdiction: NEW YORK

Entity Type: DOMESTIC NOT-FOR-PROFIT CORPORATION

Current Entity Status: ACTIVE

Selected Entity Address Information DOS Process (Address to which DOS will mail process if accepted on behalf of the entity)

KIMERLING, MARGULIES & WISDOM, LTD.

370 LEXINGTON AVENUE

SUITE 310

NEW YORK, NEW YORK, 10017

Registered Agent

NONE

mjpurcell

Anarchist
Chicago, IL
NautiGirl needs to learn to use GoogleMost 501C3's need to register with the Secretary of State for the state that they incorporate in and have to file federal income taxes. If any officers receive compensation it's listed there. We should be able to get a copy of the income tax forms if we know how they are registered and if they filed.

My guess is that Reid came up with some bullshit educational mission to get the 501c3.
You guys do not seem to understand that this all makes sense to the (real) readers.

Christ. Blah blah blah...Ignore.

greasy al

Anarchist
Been lurking since the beginning of this show, but never really had anything to say.But Im a little surprised no one has done any comparisons between this farce and Jon Sanders 658 day triple circumnavigation. Didnt really find much on the ol' web after a cursory search, and his book "Lone Sailor" appears to be out of stock at Amazon, but heres a pic of his boat the Parry Endeavor. One can only hope it wasn't powered with sprouts and cheese...

(horrifyingly enough though, it would appear there was a "fairly substantial collision" on this trip too...)

so anyway, anyone know more?

b80d458d94df5cc5442900ef465eeded.jpg
yes. we know you're a complete fucking idiot with no idea what you're talking about, or a troll.

that help?

Regatta Dog

Super Anarchist
Timmys_Trick_Turkey said:
POST NO MORE: LET THIS BE THE BEGINNING OF THE VOID OF SILENCE.............. HO !

:huh:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thought you were serious there for a second. Good one.

NautiGirl

Super Anarchist
New Scotland
NautiGirl needs to learn to use Google
Most 501C3's need to register with the Secretary of State for the state that they incorporate in and have to file federal income taxes. If any officers receive compensation it's listed there. We should be able to get a copy of the income tax forms if we know how they are registered and if they filed.

My Bad.

I did google AFOS and did not find that link. Thanks for clariflying.

awolf209

Super Anarchist
this is starting to sound like a cross between the Truman show, and Apollo 13.
With Apollo 13 featuring Tom Hanks, they found serious mechanical defects in their vessel which meant certain death if they took off on their mars mission, so the crew were stashed aside, and the boat, er rocket, was sent off on its mission by remote control, with tightly controlled media releases. The sailing anarchy forum, er world were convinced that the trip was for real, but unfortunately the rocket sunk, er crashed, and Reid, er Tom Hanks who had gone along with the farce, overcoming his moral dilemma of telling the truth about the mission, suddenly found that his own cult of supporters, um, mission control, started hunting him down because the revelation of the farce was unacceptably damaging to them...

And throughout the entire proceedings, it was the voice of reason, from a radio enthusiast on the other side of the world, who noticed the discrepancy in their gps coordinates/track radio transmission times, who was shouted down and persecuted for telling the truth.

POST NO MORE: LET THIS BE THE BEGINNING OF THE VOID OF SILENCE.............. HO !
But it's been so entertaining BMBETF! :(

Time for someone to contact Wiki about two of his lies that can be proved: (1) this Mars mission is unknown to NASA and (2) the Hayden Planetarium was not involved to the extent 1000 days stated :eek:

Let's keep this rolling!

Regatta Dog

Super Anarchist
That's just strange enough to make sense. I'd need to see closer-up photos to see if any abrasion scrapes rather than just a sprit (bobstay anywhere?) that failed in tension from overload. But then again for that I'd need to care enough for it to matter.Yeah, container ships do hit yachts out in mid-ocean at night, though usually they don't. Someone investigated aboard the Maersk Dunedin I'd reckon (I do the same for ships and their underwriters sometimes), but isn't talking on web pages. I don't either, if it's "my" ship, it's bad form. Reid on the other hand talks a lot, that's how he keeps donors happy (?) and donations coming in.

We've finally debunked the "Maersk Myth".

PROOF

I've got a friend at Maersk who's cousin works in the photo lab at the Wiesbaden INTERPOL office. She used their equipment and highly sophisticated algorithms and found the real cause of the "Sprit Happens" episode. Remember, this photo was taken the morning of the 8th of May, just hours after the "impact":

Saving_the_figurehead.jpg

sprit_picture_zoom_2.jpg

GABA

NYS Department of State
Division of Corporations

Entity Information

Selected Entity Name: 1000 DAYS NON-STOP AT SEA, LTD.

Selected Entity Status Information Current Entity Name: 1000 DAYS NON-STOP AT SEA, LTD.

Initial DOS Filing Date: SEPTEMBER 16, 1997

County: NEW YORK

Jurisdiction: NEW YORK

Entity Type: DOMESTIC NOT-FOR-PROFIT CORPORATION

Current Entity Status: ACTIVE

Selected Entity Address Information DOS Process (Address to which DOS will mail process if accepted on behalf of the entity)

KIMERLING, MARGULIES & WISDOM, LTD.

370 LEXINGTON AVENUE

SUITE 310

NEW YORK, NEW YORK, 10017

Registered Agent

NONE
Not for profit is not the same as 501C3 tax exempt.

Merely forming a non-profit corporation does not make you tax free or tax exempt. All it takes is filling in some really, really basic paperwork. Don't even need a lawyer, a lot of the "Document Preparation Services" can do it. The Secretary of State doesn't check or screen anything.

Getting recognized 501c3 tax exempt status is a heck of a lot harder. It requires filing an extensive application package with the IRS on Form 1023, with lots and lots of attachments and exhibits. Your articles, bylaws, who is on the board, descriptions of the activities and compensation of all officers, directors and board members, board meeting minutes, sources of funds financial statements from inception up to the date of application and then projections for the next two years. You also need to prove the charitable, religious or educational purpose of your organization, with detailed examples and illustrations. Generally, the package is about an inch thick when submitted.Then it gets examined by the IRS. They always come back with questions, want updates, examples and more information. Eventually, the issue a Determination Letter. From start to finish, its about 18 months (last time I did one).

IRS does publish a list of recognized 501c3 organizations. Ought to be posted on their website. Problem is its only updated about once every 6 months.

The IRS is stingy with these. They don't want you or me giving people tax deductions when we put money into our own pet projects (like my rum and sailing project). You've got to show who it benefits in the broader community, or its no go.

elle

Super Anarchist
Been lurking since the beginning of this show, but never really had anything to say.But Im a little surprised no one has done any comparisons between this farce and Jon Sanders 658 day triple circumnavigation. Didnt really find much on the ol' web after a cursory search, and his book "Lone Sailor" appears to be out of stock at Amazon, but heres a pic of his boat the Parry Endeavor. One can only hope it wasn't powered with sprouts and cheese...

(horrifyingly enough though, it would appear there was a "fairly substantial collision" on this trip too...)

so anyway, anyone know more?

b80d458d94df5cc5442900ef465eeded.jpg
i've read that article before and you are misquoting. the trawler was substantial not the collision.

JON SANDERS: No, but probably the worst was, I hit a trawler off the Falkland Islands - a fairly substantial one - and that gave me a great big scare. It was blowing about 25 knots, about five degrees temperature. Hit the thing, and it must have been surprising for them because it was virtually winter in May down there.
LAYLA TUCAK: Yes.

JON SANDERS: Near 56 south - to have a yacht sail out of the dark, prang them, bounce off and sail away again.
does that help you now?

no one here is trying to say it is impossible to have a collision with a container ship. it could happen to anyone, but it is much more likely to happen to two idiots who do not think it is important to stand watch. solo sailors must sleep sometime. but these two people are so arrogant or stupid that the just can't imagine how in the great big ocean two boats could be in the same place at the same time.

I was wide awake and was thinking what if another ship came. The chances of that happening are very slim Reid said. We hadn't even seen ships around for some days and when we did, they passed far off in the distance. It was hard to believe that in an ocean as vast as this, where you could see nothing but water for miles and miles, another ship ends up in the same exact spot that we were at the same time. Reid finally convinced me to go to bed.
The fact that the ocean seems limitless and yet two captains can look the other way and collide is disturbing. Yet we sail on anyway and love keeps surfacing.

joeboy

Nunya
i've read that article before and you are misquoting. the trawler was substantial not the collision.
does that help you now?

no one here is trying to say it is impossible to have a collision with a container ship. it could happen to anyone, but it is much more likely to happen to two idiots who do not think it is important to stand watch. solo sailors must sleep sometime. but these two people are so arrogant or stupid that the just can't imagine how in the great big ocean two boats could be in the same place at the same time.
Gotcha.

Everyone is so hung up on this "collision" lately. I shouldnt even have put that line in the first post. I just meant it as an aside.

What i was really interested in is what is the right way of going about this as opposed to the cheese way, and apparently Sanders did it right enough to make it 3 times around.

er. no. not really. twat.
Welcome into the biggest gang of self-loathers in the known galaxy!

All fates await you here at Sailing Anarchy: ulcer, cancer, nervous breakdown, all manner of psychopathology, paranoia and just plain raw fear. It does a body good!

They're big talkers, but are really just kids with more money.

ENJOY!

elle

Super Anarchist
Gotcha. Everyone is so hung up on this "collision" lately. I shouldnt even have put that line in the first post. I just meant it as an aside.

What i was really interested in is what is the right way of going about this as opposed to the cheese way, and apparently Sanders did it right enough to make it 3 times around.
well the first way not to do it in a cheese way would be not to be cheesy and it is my opinion that reid is cheesy.

seriously though, making sure that your boat was seaworthy would be the first place to start. this guy did not so much as have a bottom job done. he has leaks in his hull and also in his diesel tanks (i think, can someone confirm). he had many (many) years to prepare, yet he left the harbour with an incredible "to do" list. and we're not talking about little things here.

the list of why he is an poor seaman is miles (well at least 25 pages) long.

it is my opinion that reid has delusions of grandeur and that he has assigned himself this great purpose where none exists.

he has done nothing, in my opinion, to earn respect so i cannot see his effort as anything more than a joke. i have found no reason to get behind the trip and cheer them on. i would have done (cheered them on that is) if they hadn't exhibited such a woeful lack of seamanship.

boats are not perfect and shit breaks down, often sometimes. when you have sails and lines exposed to the sun and weather they will fail eventually. but to have left with it already in a state of disrepair is just plain the cheese way to do a thing.

RobinCrusoe

Gotcha. Everyone is so hung up on this "collision" lately. I shouldnt even have put that line in the first post. I just meant it as an aside.

It's not that difficult. Start with a dinghy and work up through crewing on bigger boats until you get comfortable with the wind and the water. Then learn some navigation. All the while talk to some people who have been farther than the next marina. Read some stories about clippers and their masters. Get some survival skills. Get a well found boat and have it checked by a professional(s). Be sure it's hull is solid and clean. Go sit in a room by yourself for a week or two and see if you enjoy how it feels to be by yourself while you wonder if it's what you really want to do. Then - when you've decided you really don't want to have anything at all to do with anybody or anything other than your boat, the water and some fish for the next three years - in other words, when you decide you just want to toss three years away for no good reason - go for it. But follow through on your promise to be alone - don't blog or preach or even open your mouth unless it's to tell people you're still alive. Otherwise, you really aren't "alone." And, I guess it's a matter of personal taste if you want to take a young groupie with you. Be warned, though, she'll be complaining about cold and grey and damp and salt spray while she hides below.

The cheese has nothing to do with it. Nor do the sprouts nor anything else these two like to talk about. They are a couple of homeless street preachers in a leaking boat they say is at sea. They have done nothing right at all - beginning with conceiving the "journey" to where they are now. But - give credit where it's due: they delayed and delayed because they really didn't want to go. they went only because they had no other choice. They are brain dead or liars and that's why they can say they hit a ship, decided it couldn't possibly happen again and go back to sleep.

If this venture ends tragically, we should say no more than we told you so.
I congratulate all True Sailing Anarchy members for the discoveries made in these matters, and urge all true Sailing Anarchy members to embargo this thread, and post nothing further in protest and disgust at what Reid is doing to the reputation of competent and responsible mariners everywhere.
Who gave you the Assarchy Talking Stick, sunshine?

You mean say no more than you already have, for instance by posting a malicious and reputation-damaging Web site and the billions of adolescent stabs in the anonymous internet darkness from all you "True Sailing Anarchy members"? Is this now an exclusive club? I thought so. All white, all middle-aged, all fascist, all descended scrotums -- including the bearded ladies.

All True Sailing Assarchy Fascists need to heed the directions of the most-tiniest-penised junta leader and STOP COMMUNICATING about this now, because we're going to look like a bunch of shits-for-brains that you really are, NO MATTER WHAT, for as long as this thread exists.

You're actually all pieces of shit who haven't been extruded from you own asses yet, though you don't realize it but will pesently. So go ahead, run like pigs from the gun. Cowards. Keyboard toughs.

Karma's a bitch and when this Web site and this thread becomes associated with the exploits of Captain Reid, your fates will have been entwined. Nobody ever gave a shit if any of you True Sailing Assarchy degenerates went sailing or where and it's really no business of yours what Redi Stowe does or doesn't do. About time you got the message and started to do the right thing by sitting down shutting the fuck up like good little children. Next, the 1,000 Days site will impose copyright restrictions on all their photos (after advice from readers) and Sailing Assarchy proprietors will receive a nice legal notice from Google/Blogger. Since all the people who are contributors to that site are also members here.

So you do the right thing, fascists. Listen to your little-penised leader. Time to shut the fuck up.

It's not that difficult. Start with a dinghy and work up through crewing on bigger boats until you get comfortable with the wind and the water. Then learn some navigation. All the while talk to some people who have been farther than the next marina. Read some stories about clippers and their masters. Get some survival skills. Get a well found boat and have it checked by a professional(s). Be sure it's hull is solid and clean. Go sit in a room by yourself for a week or two and see if you enjoy how it feels to be by yourself while you wonder if it's what you really want to do. Then - when you've decided you really don't want to have anything at all to do with anybody or anything other than your boat, the water and some fish for the next three years - in other words, when you decide you just want to toss three years away for no good reason - go for it. But follow through on your promise to be alone - don't blog or preach or even open your mouth unless it's to tell people you're still alive. Otherwise, you really aren't "alone." And, I guess it's a matter of personal taste if you want to take a young groupie with you. Be warned, though, she'll be complaining about cold and grey and damp and salt spray while she hides below.
The cheese has nothing to do with it. Nor do the sprouts nor anything else these two like to talk about. They are a couple of homeless street preachers in a leaking boat they say is at sea. They have done nothing right at all - beginning with conceiving the "journey" to where they are now. But - give credit where it's due: they delayed and delayed because they really didn't want to go. they went only because they had no other choice. They are brain dead or liars and that's why they can say they hit a ship, decided it couldn't possibly happen again and go back to sleep.
Nice eulogy. Is that how you intended it to sound?

Does your life have a purpose? How will people speak of you whey you are dead?

"Oh, he wasted his life."

How sad.

Keep digging a hole for your reputations, True Assarchy Fascists.