Couple Cruise for 1000 Days

awolf209

Super Anarchist
Well, well, well Elle, You actually got anti-anarchist to post and answer more than one comment! Miraculous! Amazing how someone working so closely with the venture doesn't know what the initial plan was! And I see that he's softening the blow to everyone who actually expected them to sail SOMEWHERE by using the excuse to the damaged bow sprit to keep them from circumnavigting the globe. Oh my god, that was their plan all along! Sail away from from NJ claiming they're going on a 1000-days-around-the-world-several-times-voyage and then conveniently crash into another boat on the Atlantic so they have an excuse for never going anywhere except the Atlantic! He made sure he was in an area close enough to a freighter at night to claim he made contact!

Bottom line is, Jesse states that they never planned on multiple circumnavigations but Reid said there would be, now Jesse claims he didn't know that.....

Good work, Elle! :lol:

Well, well, well Elle, You actually got anti-anarchist to post and answer more than one comment! Miraculous! Amazing how someone working so closely with the venture doesn't know what the initial plan was! And I see that he's softening the blow to everyone who actually expected them to sail SOMEWHERE by using the excuse to the damaged bow sprit to keep them from circumnavigting the globe. Oh my god, that was their plan all along! Sail away from from NJ claiming they're going on a 1000-days-around-the-world-several-times-voyage and then conveniently crash into another boat on the Atlantic so they have an excuse for never going anywhere except the Atlantic! He made sure he was in an area close enough to a freighter at night to claim he made contact!

Bottom line is, Jesse states that they never planned on multiple circumnavigations but Reid said there would be, now Jesse claims he didn't know that.....

Tacking

Super Anarchist
What is interesting is that the journey changes constantly, not only their plan, but also what happened before. Compare these images:

This one is from last week:

This one is from today:

The weird loop up and down completely disappeared.

This is clear evidence that they at least manipulate the map.

What is interesting is that the journey changes constantly, not only their plan, but also what happened before. Compare these images:This one is from last week:

This one is from today:

The weird loop up and down completely disappeared.

This is clear evidence that they at least manipulate the map.
It's obviously a conspiracy of waypoints.

Call a cop.

The last bit of Jesse's response to elle: "As far as the barnacle growth, that has been played up by the insane sailinganarchy crowd who seem to have nothing better to do than act like drunken abusive misfit malcontent teenagers without a life, and devote themselves to trying to sabotage the effort in whatever abusive stupidity they can fixate upon at the moment."

Hmmm. Granted, SA's brand of criticism is often on the harsh side, but it seems SA has cut deep this time.

As far as the original and official intent of the 'effort' (or lack thereof), here' a cut n' paste from the 1000days brochure:

"Mission Statement: To increase mankind's fundamental understanding of their unique capabilities and dependence of ones human existence on the world around them.

Goals: 1. To obtain valuable information on the physical and mental stress which must be overcome during such an extended voyage. The solitude that will be a major part of this journey will give insight into man's tolerance during an extended isolation from land.

2. To evaluate the effectiveness of various psychological support techniques when applied under actual field conditions and examine ways to resolve interpersonal conflicts.

3. Critical information will be developed not just for survival but for sustainable human existence. This would include food, clothing, boating equipment, communication and a host of other items that while seeming insignificant during normal life on land, may assume critical importance under the stress experienced by isolation.

4. We can increase our knowledge of the southern oceans through daily recordings of water, air temperatures, wind speeds, water and atmospheric pollution and ozone depletion. Through these records we will gain insight into our ultimate dependence on our environment.

5. Education components are planned to instruct those who follow the voyage. Subjects to be studied are: marine and atmospheric sciences, satellite communication, celestial navigation, computer technology, sail boat repair and maintenance, nutrition, gardening, health, physical education, geography, oceanography, math, world history, languages, psychology as well as a host of other topics.

6. To inspire others to voyage beyond human expectations.

7. To promote a global message of hope, peace, perseverance, achievement and excellence."

A quick examination:

MS: Sufficiently vague.

Goals:

1. Sure, okay.

2. Eh? Following a program are we? Applying a variety of methods? I don't think 'being nice' is a program or basis for study.

3. This could have been applicable if the boat wasn't 40 years old, based on an outmoded design (particularly inappropriate for short-handing), using archaic materials, leaking into the food stores, and requiring constant supervision and maintenance.

4. They brought the means to measure atmospheric pollution and ozone depletion? Hasn't the scientific community been doing these measurements for a couple of decades at least?

5. Right. I call bullshit.

6. I don't think it's noble to 'inspire' others by heading off into a crowded ocean ill-equipped. Besides, what other expectations are there other than human ones? Animal ones? Spiritual ones? If said yes to either of those, we have nothing to talk about.

7. Hope? For what? Peace? How? Perseverance? Likely. Achievement? Suspect. Excellence? Not by any standard.

What's left? Two people farting the fuck around. It all stinks. Totally fucking ridiculous.

I'll give them my own 'Hansen Award' for not dying.

NautiGirl

Super Anarchist
New Scotland
Most of us spent a good chunk of our weekend out on the ocean, Assclown.

I highly doubt any of us are jealous that we are not bobbing around on a leaky cheese scow eating sprouts with a crazy bone rack and a homely barely legal girl. We prefer to SAIL, not drift, thank you very much, and are much more selective in who our crew is.

Last edited by a moderator:

awolf209

Super Anarchist
Now I'm sure -- they're tied up at one od the AC marina's and are gambling away all their cash donations!

The longer this "voyage" goes on, the stranger the odyssey becomes!

Def: odyssey - a long and eventful journey

Guess they can't call it an odyssey because this is anything but eventful!

:blink:

elle

Super Anarchist
Well, well, well Elle, You actually got anti-anarchist to post and answer more than one comment! Miraculous! Amazing how someone working so closely with the venture doesn't know what the initial plan was! And I see that he's softening the blow to everyone who actually expected them to sail SOMEWHERE by using the excuse to the damaged bow sprit to keep them from circumnavigting the globe. Oh my god, that was their plan all along! Sail away from from NJ claiming they're going on a 1000-days-around-the-world-several-times-voyage and then conveniently crash into another boat on the Atlantic so they have an excuse for never going anywhere except the Atlantic! He made sure he was in an area close enough to a freighter at night to claim he made contact!Bottom line is, Jesse states that they never planned on multiple circumnavigations but Reid said there would be, now Jesse claims he didn't know that.....

my most recent comment left with 1000days blog:

as i said el bloggerino, that statement about sailing 4 times around came directly from their press release brochure, page 1. here is a link: http://1000days.net/home/images/stories/pr...singlepages.pdf

now that you bring up the bowsprit, it brings to mind the samson post reid was pictured repairing on day 118 of 1000days.net. reid states that the post and and masts on the anne are fir from the king's mast forest in denmark. i also had the pleasure of the slideshow of reid and his family building the boat. here's a link for anyone who has missed it.

http://1000days.net/home/media/boatbuilding/boatbuilding.htm

what an endeavour! so when were the masts that reid and his family made in the slideshow replaced with the king's fir?

awaiting posting and response.

EVK4

Anarchist
Berkeley, CA
now that you bring up the bowsprit, it brings to mind the samson post reid was pictured repairing on day 118 of 1000days.net. reid states that the post and and masts on the anne are fir from the king's mast forest in denmark. i also had the pleasure of the slideshow of reid and his family building the boat. here's a link for anyone who has missed it.
http://1000days.net/home/media/boatbuilding/boatbuilding.htm

what an endeavour! so when were the masts that reid and his family made in the slideshow replaced with the king's fir?

awaiting posting and response.
that's pretty cool how he built the boat in all honesty. I just wish I hadn't had to see the pantsless picture to get to that part.

swan70

Super Anarchist
Mustang Ranch
This is what it looks like when you hit a freighter.
I hate to be kicking a dead horse but........THE DUMB FUCK HIT A BOAT!!!!!

I welded and bent enough roll/crash cages in my day to know what it takes to bend a metal tube and by the looks of the size of the welds on the bowsprit (that ain't no stove pipe) Think more along the diameter and thickness of those parking lot barriers.

There is not a jib on the planet big enough to bend It and if I read one more post "the jib bent it" I swear I will hack elle's computer and remove the avatar.

barleymalt

Super Anarchist
Michigan
Sailing the globe?.

No Captain Insanity, they are sailing aimless patterns in the South Atlantic very slowly. The reality is that with current conditions they are very doubtful to complete a single circumnavigation, much less four. All kidding aside, taking that vessel into the southern ocean without major overhaul would be an extremely bad idea. Well prepared, professionally crewed vessels have met with disaster there, much less marginal vessels that are poorly equipped and prepared and under crewed.

There is no doubt that in SA fashion, some of the comments here have been pretty harsh. But it is grimly amusing that for all of the pains that Fradkin and the Hovians take to point out how bad the SA bashing is and how it misrepresents the whole endevour, they engage in far worse. They seem desperate that only favorable information and opinions get published to the point of censorship and stifling debate. Only allowing information that you approve of is the worst kind of manipulation. It is not fair to the sponsors, the public, or to the participants themselves. It's downright scatological. <_<

Sorry, Hovians. This whole "mission" simply can't be taken completely seriously. The reality is that there is no useful information for NASA to be gained from this. There is no scientific data to be really useful, mainly because there are no sensors and expertise on the Anne better than what is already in place via satellite and fixed stations. There will be some useful information on the long term effects of staying at sea, but is Reid really a suitable baseline subject for meaningful psychological research? How will you know if he is flipped out versus his normal mentality? Are either of them in any way trained to evaluate or analyze psychological factors?. These things may have sounded good to sponsors and cheese makers that have never set foot on a boat, but they are clearly not realistic.

I give them credit for being out there, and for having the stones to attempt something on a shoestring. But there is a very fine line between valor and foolishness, and between causes that are worthwhile and those that are simply chasing shadows.

elle

Super Anarchist
that's pretty cool how he built the boat in all honesty. I just wish I hadn't had to see the pantsless picture to get to that part.
agreed...on both counts!

i do still take issue with the discrepancy of the mast (homemade as the pics show or fir from the king's forest) and of the claim that it is fiberglass (all i saw was ferro and polyester resin). i also take issue with the soundness of the hull for a 1000 day voyage (yeah i know it's just a floater not a voyage, but still). it is leaking after all and it does have steele innards and that's gonna rust if the "plaster" cracks and then the "plaster" will crack some more.

Tacking

Super Anarchist
I welded and bent enough roll/crash cages in my day to know what it takes to bend a metal tube and by the looks of the size of the welds on the bowsprit (that ain't no stove pipe) Think more along the diameter and thickness of those parking lot barriers.

There is not a jib on the planet big enough to bend It and if I read one more post "the jib bent it" I swear I will hack elle's computer and remove the avatar.
Probably you were involved in this project and are proud of your fucking bowsprit made out of parking lot barriers. It might come as a surprise to you that different qualities of steel exist out there. The steel plate in your head that keeps your brain from falling out, installed after a car ran over you, is a different kind of quality than the steel pipe that brings the water to your toilet to wash your shit away. Unfortunately Reid and you probably used a quality of steel that was more similar to the latter. Hell, he (or you) probably stole it from a public restroom or parking lot. Now, suppose one of the supporting lines (also used on highways and parking lots- hmm, we've got a theme here) breaks, or rips out of the hull. There is a nice chop and breeze and the parking lot barrier steel says "no shit, I was not made for these fucking forces. Fuck you Reid, I am going to bend."

That is pretty much the end of it...

swan70

Super Anarchist
Mustang Ranch
So what are you, a structural Engineer?

I don't care if the bow sprit was made from cast iron, it would take 10's of thousands of pounds to bend/break it.

Tacking

Super Anarchist
So what are you, a structural Engineer?
I don't care if the bow sprit was made from cast iron, it would take 10's of thousands of pounds to bend/break it.
Grap one of those 10 feet Parking lot barrier pieces of shit steel left from your bowsprit project. Weld one end to your swan 70 (wherever you like). Tie a halyard to the other side. Put the halyard on a winch and put as much force on there as you can. Either your weld will break, or the thing will bend.

Forces get huge when you take a bowsprit this long. That is the point!

Go Left

Super Anarchist
Seattle

Well, maybe this one: mc4.gif

BTW, Pipe is VERY easy to bend if it has a flaw (think rust) or dimple in it. Steel pipe in saltwater, with welds and SS connections, not so impervious as one might think.