Couple Cruise for 1000 Days

swan70

Super Anarchist
Mustang Ranch
Probably you were involved in this project and are proud of your fucking bowsprit made out of parking lot barriers. It might come as a surprise to you that different qualities of steel exist out there. The steel plate in your head that keeps your brain from falling out, installed after a car ran over you, is a different kind of quality than the steel pipe that brings the water to your toilet to wash your shit away. Unfortunately Reid and you probably used a quality of steel that was more similar to the latter. Hell, he (or you) probably stole it from a public restroom or parking lot. Now, suppose one of the supporting lines (also used on highways and parking lots- hmm, we've got a theme here) breaks, or rips out of the hull. There is a nice chop and breeze and the parking lot barrier steel says "no shit, I was not made for these fucking forces. Fuck you Reid, I am going to bend."
That is pretty much the end of it...
You are all right and I am wrong, yea right! Dumb fuck was sailing in a 12 knot breeze with his sails set so that he was running at 2 or 3 knots and after having survived force 10 gales the bowsprit failed, Yea Right.

Dumb fuck hit a boat!

Regatta Dog

Super Anarchist
... Assclown.
... bobbing around on a leaky cheese scow eating sprouts with a crazy bone rack and a homely barely legal girl.

Good to see you took the gloves off again NautiGirl. I, for one, have missed your bar room vernacular.

Grrrrrrrrrrr.

frenchie

Super Anarchist
Brooklyn, NY
They're sailing the globe.
Hahahaha! Good one!

I hate to be kicking a dead horse but........THE DUMB FUCK HIT A BOAT!!!!!
I welded and bent enough roll/crash cages in my day to know what it takes to bend a metal tube and by the looks of the size of the welds on the bowsprit (that ain't no stove pipe) Think more along the diameter and thickness of those parking lot barriers.

There is not a jib on the planet big enough to bend It and if I read one more post "the jib bent it" I swear I will hack elle's computer and remove the avatar.
Have you seen this pics?

http://bp0.blogger.com/_lBpur-UwfYw/RkZl34...e-bad-piece.jpg

That's looks like pretty light gauge, actually.

More to point: note the rust where it bent, which seems to also be where the sprit was strapped down (hence the spot with the most strain on it). Especially when I look at this:

http://bp0.blogger.com/_lBpur-UwfYw/RkZmI4...he-bowsprit.jpg

And of course, I see bending, not crushing.

Finally, if this a good sample of the stays he's using for his repairs, what kind of shape were the old stays in?

http://bp2.blogger.com/_lBpur-UwfYw/RlBbz_...600-h/stays.jpg

Sorry, but I really do think THE JIB -

wait a minute, did you say, "remove the avatar"? I thought you said "remove the shirt from the avatar".

Never mind.

cutting_the_bad_piece.jpg

Moving_the_bowsprit.jpg

stays.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Great White

Super Anarchist
Bremerton, WA USA
Well, maybe this one: View attachment 52881 BTW, Pipe is VERY easy to bend if it has a flaw (think rust) or dimple in it. Steel pipe in saltwater, with welds and SS connections, not so impervious as one might think.
And do we know the nominal size of the pipe and the wall thickness? If it is schedule 40 or heavier, it could have good strength. If it is thin wall pipe, then chances of holding up to bending if a bobstay fails is negligible. If rust has thinned the wall thickness even more, than good luck!

I was believing that a glancing blow from a ship could have bent the bowsprit, but after looking at more pictures of the Anne with the "fiqure head", I start having doubts. The "fiqure head" is attache at the top and bottom of the pulpit and extends quite far forward. A collision should have broken the "fiqure head".

NautiGirl

Super Anarchist
New Scotland
Good to see you took the gloves off again NautiGirl. I, for one, have missed your bar room vernacular.
Grrrrrrrrrrr.
Can't help myself.

This is sailing...

PA060034.jpg

What they are doing is drifting aimlessly away from Reid's responsibilities.

I wouldn't ask those two fruitloops to crew a 90 minute beercan.

(and no, that's not my toe)

Regatta Dog

Super Anarchist
reid states that the post and and masts on the anne are fir from the king's mast forest in denmark.

My trusty woodsmen felled the spars tirelessly, inspired by the beauty of the fair Maid Soanya. We were in a state of constant vigilance as the kings sheriff and henchmen were a constant threat.... what?......Denmark?.....Sorry, wrong forest.

Carry on.

robin.jpg

Remodel

Super Anarchist
None
So what are you, a structural Engineer?
I don't care if the bow sprit was made from cast iron, it would take 10's of thousands of pounds to bend/break it.
So just to play devil's advocate here, if the tube is that strong, why didn't it remain intact and rip off either the bow or the kingpost? According to your theory, it would have to be much stronger than the cheesecloth and bondo that the hull and deck are made of.

Great White

Super Anarchist
Bremerton, WA USA
Hahahaha! Good one!Have you seen this pics?

More to point: note the rust where it bent, which seems to also be where the sprit was strapped down (hence the spot with the most strain on it). Especially when I look at this:

Finally, if this a good sample of the stays he's using for his repairs, what kind of shape were the old stays in?

wait a minute, did you say, "remove the avatar"? I thought you said "remove the shirt from the avatar".

Never mind.
I have not seen these pictures before. But it does appear to be really thin wall. Also with the spiral reinforcing, it does not appear to be drawn pipe. I have seen similar material on ships used for ventilation duct. Can't tell if the pitting all over is from rust or sloppy paint. The rust where it set on the bow looks bad.

ozzie1

Toronto On
Hahahaha! Good one!Have you seen this pic?

cutting-the-bad-piece.jpg

I agree with Frenchie, Looks like fairly light gauge, for the job it was intended for " maybe they forgot to xray it the refit in preparation for 1000 day's to insanity" but all kidding aside, the welding itself would have weakened the steel and then the exposure to salt, slack sail, dive in big wave, a bit of breeze and bing you have more than a few ton's of load not a good combo for already weak steel, hence bent bowsprit. If you look closely at the photo's the signs of rust etc are there. Freighter, I don't think so unless the schooner was stopped dead in the water, it would have continued forward and done a ton more damage to the bow or spun the schooner into the side of the freighter and really made a mess of the side. Sure look's like steel fatique is the culprit from the pictures!

Tacking

Super Anarchist
Pretty cool stove though. It'll look great in Dr. Ballard's study.
Which of the four elements will end this journey?

1. Water (the ship will leak and sink)

2. Air (strong winds will destroy the boat and it will sink, hence #1)

3. Fire (the stove will get a bit too warm and the ship will catch fire and will sink, hence #1)

4. Earth (the ship will run aground and sink, hence #1)

Go Left

Super Anarchist
Seattle
Hahahaha! Good one!Have you seen this pics?

Never mind.

He used helically welded cheap-ass pipe for his sprit? Case closed. Rig failure. Stupid Weid-ho.

DaveK

Super Anarchist
Austin, TX
Swan70….. I’d really like to see pics of your boat… Seriously!

That must be a nice boat and I’m not being sarcastic.

DaveK

Regatta Dog

Super Anarchist
I hate to be kicking a dead horse but........THE DUMB FUCK HIT A BOAT!!!!!
I welded and bent enough roll/crash cages in my day to know what it takes to bend a metal tube and by the looks of the size of the welds on the bowsprit (that ain't no stove pipe) Think more along the diameter and thickness of those parking lot barriers.

There is not a jib on the planet big enough to bend It and if I read one more post "the jib bent it" I swear I will hack elle's computer and remove the avatar.

I think they have everything they need on board to fashion a stronger sprit.

Cheese_Sprit.jpg

redboat

Super Anarchist
I agree with Frenchie, Looks like fairly light gauge, for the job it was intended for " maybe they forgot to xray it the refit in preparation for 1000 day's to insanity" but all kidding aside, the welding itself would have weakened the steel and then the exposure to salt, slack sail, dive in big wave, a bit of breeze and bing you have more than a few ton's of load not a good combo for already weak steel, hence bent bowsprit. If you look closely at the photo's the signs of rust etc are there. Freighter, I don't think so unless the schooner was stopped dead in the water, it would have continued forward and done a ton more damage to the bow or spun the schooner into the side of the freighter and really made a mess of the side. Sure look's like steel fatique is the culprit from the pictures!

The blog just prior to the collision report also reported winds of 20-40 knots. Surely a Reidian exaggeration but probably a lot more breeze than that bowsprit had seen in 10 years and if R&S had that huge new roller furling genoa hanging out there at the time it was bound to fail.

frenchie

Super Anarchist
Brooklyn, NY
I have not seen these pictures before. But it does appear to be really thin wall.
I have to confess that boombastic got me wondering, so I went digging through their old blog entries for any pictures. That helped me make up my mind.

As long as it's come up again... on shiptracker, the Maersk Dunedin's info, hasn't been updated since June of '06.

Last reported at 2006-Jun-11 19:00 UTC. Time now 2007-Oct-09 21:30 UTC.Position N 36°30', W 061°00'.

Warning: this ship's position is years out of date!
http://sailwx.info/shiptrack/shipposition.phtml?call=DCAH2

Don't ask me to recall how I did it (the link on that page doesn't work), but I did find a way to download the full track: it also ended in June '06.

DaveK

Super Anarchist
Austin, TX
I’m really sorry for the hijack!

Did you know there are 5 bathrooms (heads) on a Swan 70?

No wonder they cost 10 times more than my house. I must only have half a head.

End Hijack .

DaveK

253406023428_19708_1.jpg