This is just the tip of the iceberg on how WEid has used women in the past. I really wish those who have been used/abused (not physically) by him in the past would step up and out the fucker for who he really is. How does anyone think he financed his lifestyle of the 80s, complete building in SoHo, Rolls, Hamptons, building the Anne, sailing all over with no income? There has to be many who know what really went on. Want to tell the truth, Reid?Applause applause, JP. (Not sarcastic clapping - this is a genuine bravo to your succinctly put points.) Still have yet to see any good acts come from of those two that tangibly help others besides themselves. Making appearances because you're the "honored" guest isn't actually doing anything to help any cause.It's just more SNAFU Hovian Hypocrisy, Pip ..........
Weed and Soanya hated being forced to Hoboken for the year prior to departure. The engine was flooded and needed expensive repair. Soy said only "a few still loyal friends" bothered to visit. Weed said they were at their darkest moment, couldn't pay their bills, and "nobody would return my pleading calls". (Quite a comedown from his days as the dashing Captain Stowe cruising the Hamptons in his Rolls.)
- They lived "off the grid", but that's your only choice if you can't afford electricity. Weed-Spin calls that "Sustainability"
- They had a huge stash of parmesan cheese, donated beans, and oatmeal, but most likely couldn't afford meat, fish, or fowl. Weed-Spin proclaims they are "Vegetarians" ~ and how did his vision of the floating platter of BBQ spare-ribs break up his man-massage from Jesus and Buddha?
- Soanya often expressed her disdain for "commercialism", but said her first order of business after getting home was to spend 6 months on the couch watching all the TV shows the family had recorded for her.
- She chastised society over our wasteful water usage, but was doing her part by limiting her showers to 20 minutes.
- Weed ate "like a king" with the FINEST cheese, donated beans and oatmeal, and fish pulled out of fish guts. Indeed it was the best ~ because it was all he had.
- He ate the "healthiest diet" imaginable without a need for vitamins.... and was missing at least 3 teeth when he returned.
On a side note, I'm glad this thread exists, not so much because it is (or isn't) about Reid, but because it mostly exposes the ridiculousness of blind hero worship and crediting people who claim to have accomplished far more than they really did. I've read a few posts that question the value and raison d'etre of this thread and although it exists in a very narrowly defined universe, i.e. a sailing forum, what all of you are doing (with the exception of a few) is what we should all be doing, which is to question anyone who makes grand claims about themselves and spins truths. Smart people ask questions and when things don't add up, they point it out. That's essentially how Enron collapsed. You people not only say the emperor is naked, you also provide solid proof and have a sense of humor about it. Bravo everyone. Keep it up!
The thing that fascinates me about this thread is how easy Reid makes it for all his detractors. My mind's not made up about whether he's really bad at self-promotion, or really good. Ironically, it's one his supporters who said it best when he pointed out that Reid is abrasively boastful when he talks about the kind of things that most people approach humbly, e.g. religion, mysticism, meditation. Reid's lack of polish may appear refreshing and likable to some, but eventually, it is his downfall. He may have charmed one guy with his misspelled proposal, but it doesn't cut it in the real world of corporate sponsorship, which is his true target.
Finally, I don't know if anyone already addressed this in a previous post but it bothered me that Reid bought a stove with Soanya's credit card. Doesn't he have a history of women buying him things and doing major work for him? Two things that come to mind are the carvings on his schooner done by Iris, which he claims he did, and the life raft his other ex-wife bought him before he went on his 3 year vacation, which didn't look cheap. I have no idea whether Reid helps Soanya out with her own expenses, or if their combined earnings, if any, are pooled together. Obviously he doesn't have a credit card because that only tethers him closer to the IRS and other agencies he wants to avoid, and his credit is foul. I just hope for Soanya that 1) he doesn't foul up her credit as well, especially with her being so young and having a kid and 2) it doesn't end up where 10 years later Reid is boasting about his awesome stove that he worked so hard to get to his 18 year old girlfriend who never heard of Soanya.