Couple Cruise for 1000 Days

svitale

Anarchist
Somewhere on the blog reid talked about having a trap door to turn the tanks on and off from inside the boat.

day-197-gas-bottles.jpg

I just wonder if the door is airtight and he knows that propane is heavier than air.

Someone wanted info on corrosion: Potentials in 3.5% Salt Water

Magnesium -1.64

Zinc -1.11

Aluminum -.78

Steel -.57

Lead -.55

Stainless -.45

Copper -.20

Carbon -.06

the greater the difference the more corrosive the cell.

Coatings with flaws cause the corrosion to be concentrated vs spread out for bare metal.

Timmys_Trick_Turkey

Super Anarchist
Allrighty... You guys are really slacking now... ;-)
There is a greater significance to the screws and their positioning in the photo that you have noticed. look very closely at where they are lying.

day-197-gas-bottles.jpg

Notice the holes in the(shit what is that called)... lip of the baggywrinkle cargo hatch port

None the less... He is holding the hatch on, in it's normal closed position, with 6 galvanized deck(as in back porch) screws... through the rim of the hatch into the lip of the port. COME ON... He should know more about the power of the sea than that... When(not if) his decks get washed in the Souther Ocean the sea is going to violently remove those screws for him... That is if the loose tires on deck don't get thrown through the hatch cover first. BTW: WTF does he need tires for on a 1000 day mars ocean odyssey? Quick... Someone check to see if they carry spare tires on the space shuttle. :blink:
Hey sailflat, thats almost right. except that there is no matching holes in the deck. The solution lays in the pile of screws. he is rummaging for screws long enough to do the job of securing the hatch lid FOR THE FIRST TIME, and has only found 3. which means that all this time, the hatch lid has just been sitting there unrestrained, waiting for a wave. This makes me think that it could also be a very old picture, taken before the trip started.

I wonder if the gas bottles are out of spec and therefore not fillable ? what a great way to hide the stash ! welded up excess gas bottles painted and then locked away in a locker with the lid screwed down by a zillion short screws...

Hey in another site, I saw a picture of him laying a batten along the bottom of the roller furler jib, to get the foot recut shape right. he described it as a spare piece of timber he had kept for that purpose.

But then again, I saw a picture recently where he said he had glued all his spare timber together to make a spare spar...

Wow the inconsistencies in this story line get bigger by the day...

Tacking

Super Anarchist
Somewhere on the blog reid talked about having a trap door to turn the tanks on and off from inside the boat.
day-197-gas-bottles.jpg

I just wonder if the door is airtight and he knows that propane is heavier than air.

Someone wanted info on corrosion: Potentials in 3.5% Salt Water

Magnesium -1.64

Zinc -1.11

Aluminum -.78

Steel -.57

Lead -.55

Stainless -.45

Copper -.20

Carbon -.06

the greater the difference the more corrosive the cell.

Coatings with flaws cause the corrosion to be concentrated vs spread out for bare metal.
Hey Weid, wake up!

Hmmm, what is it Soanyora?

Smell! what is that?

My ancient senses have been sensing all kinds of things lately now that I come closer to my inner being! The same must happen to you!

Well, let's turn on the light, so we can see the smell!

OK!

SeaMadness

Anarchist
Bubble Boy pic is an old one taken Maarch 2006 View attachment 54950
I still want to know about where this information came from. Is it made up, does this appear on the web site somewhere, or does VBman have some special insight into this?

And as far as the worm pic - it sure looks like land in the background. The chain reference I made is about the one fuzzy looking link you can see closer to the foreground by his arm. Other than that link, it has to be land.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Alberta
Just a thought.
I am still trying to get an explanation for the "Rendezvous" pic where he is looking near Galapagos or the south pacific.

Something popped into my head. What if he set the tracker afloat and went somewhere no one would look. One way to force this is to look up the Panama Canal registry. You know for damn sure he isn't going to sail around the horn from the east. I do not have the means or time to research this.

Anyone want to help.

Still no takers? :huh:
I read recently on the bumfuzzle site's description of their Panama Canal transit, that boats 70' and over need to fork out $2500US for a pilot furnished by the friendly canal people.

I doubt if Reid has that kind of cash on board. I could be wrong, though... if he does have the cash, he'd probably need it for those midnight offshore rendezvous with dark-colored multi-engined "supply" craft.

108645dc59e3b7d82.jpg

Regatta Dog

Super Anarchist
But then again, I saw a picture recently where he said he had glued all his spare timber together to make a spare spar...Wow the inconsistencies in this story line get bigger by the day...
He's obviously got spare wood, and his ancient self has also got quite a bit of spare time for paying homage to the Gods.

Hey, God, thanks dude.....

day-198-thank-you-crvg-sm.jpg

BTW -- That thank you note to the gods is a repair to a hole in a hatch.

sailman

Super Anarchist
Portsmouth, RI
That's strange. The special prop paint I used for Wu-Wei (with the proper primer) sucked and the barnacles seemed to enjoy it a month later. (They left the hull alone...) When we hauled out 6 months later, I told the boatyard manager about my plight, and he hooked me up with some "special" paint. (I doubt the legality of it, and it was treated like gold- put in a different can, and told it came from outside the US and was VERY expensive- although, I got charged nothing for it.) Anyhoo, I still had to use the prop primer, but this paint was weird- it was WHITE and dried kind of shiny. Stranger, it seemed to work, as months later, the prop was still clean.
So seeing the white BOTTOM made me suspect. Did Reid get a sponsorship from the illegal paint people? Where was this haul-out? I can see painting the prop white (it's a hell of a lot easier to see underwater), but the bottom? When we were AwlGripping Wu-Wei's hull, this guy with a ferro-cement boat told us we were insane. "Why would you pay that much for paint? I just used house paint on my hull from Home Depot, and it looks great!" (It actually looked a hot-mess, but we just smiled and kept rolling & tipping & sanding....) We also suspected he was using the same stuff to paint his bottom, as Trinidad nor Interlux make that strange color, and it came in a 5-gallon plastic container. (One gallon of bottom paint is heavy as hell alone. Plus, he was painting with ease...) "Do you think he at least used a sealant?" I asked the hubby. "Um, he's painting over the barnacles on his sea cocks with house paint. I doubt he used a sealant. Crazy isn't just for powerboaters. Take a look around the boatyard, and you'll see more housepaint!" Damn, he was right.
Could be he got his hands on some Micron 33, tin based. Outlawed on small boats in the US <_< , that stuff was the best paint going.

elle

Super Anarchist
Well, so far it's stuck, and infact the reference to the naval test firing zone was removed too.
actually, my request was not to have it removed, but to have it changed to that he claimed to have collided with a boat, rather than have that he was hit by a maersk ship as if it were fact unless maersk confirmed a collision. i also asked that they change the construction of the boat from fiberglass to ferro and provided a link to the boatbuilding slide show.

i think the naval test fire zone incident should remain as tribute to his stupidity err... i mean skill. :rolleyes:

awolf209

Super Anarchist
That propane hatch pic must be old since Weid has repeatedly claimed he always ties his tools to his body while using them on the boat so he doesn't lose anything overboard. And there's no way those screws would remain where they are if he was in motion. (And what's with his little composition notebook?) He also stated the other day that he rubbed grease on all the connections because they were starting to rust (cheese-us...took him 6+ months to grease them up?) and put some kind of foam around them (must be another one of those mattresses), so this must be an old pic. Unfortunately, none of us can get an answer to a simple question like that from the blogkeeper.

And the tires are to use as bumpers for when they tie up to a freighter at sea to have a meal of MEAT with the crew and share Sayonara with the boys on board... :p

Go Left

Super Anarchist
Seattle
So if the happy pair manage to reproduce during the epic voyage to nowhere, will this be the very first bit of playground equipment they install on the Cheese Scow?

Chinese_Toy_1_.jpg

sailflat

Super Anarchist
I still want to know about where this information came from. Is it made up, does this appear on the web site somewhere, or does VBman have some special insight into this?
And as far as the worm pic - it sure looks like land in the background. The chain reference I made is about the one fuzzy looking link you can see closer to the foreground by his arm. Other than that link, it has to be land.
He would have gotten that from the meta data recorded in the image file. I will double check it myself... I have a metadata reader.

EDIT: checked and confirmed vbman's info... Most of the other photos have had the metadata scrubbed.

Last edited by a moderator:

sailflat

Super Anarchist
More insanity at 1000days

Just remembered to put up his bimini or sunshade...

Doesn't have a thermometer though he was supposed to be monitoring sea conditions.

Supposedly doing supplemental celestial navigation but yet constantly resetting his clocks with "noon sun sites"... What about getting time off his GPS?

idiot!

Regatta Dog

Super Anarchist
From the Mission Statement of 1000 Days at Sea - Goals :

4. We can increase our knowledge of thesouthern oceans through daily recordings of

water, air temperatures, wind speeds, water and

atmospheric pollution and ozone depletion.

Through these records we will gain insight into

our ultimate dependence on our environment.
From Soanya's post today:

We don't have a way to measure water temperature, but our clock has a temperature reading on it for the air. I can tell by feeling it that the water is cooler than at the equator, but the equator had cooler air than down here.
Regardless of the duration of their scientific expedition, the hard data they are collecting will be invaluable to scientists for decades to come.

Can you make this shit up? Nope.

sailflat

Super Anarchist
Hey sailflat, thats almost right. except that there is no matching holes in the deck. The solution lays in the pile of screws. he is rummaging for screws long enough to do the job of securing the hatch lid FOR THE FIRST TIME, and has only found 3. which means that all this time, the hatch lid has just been sitting there unrestrained, waiting for a wave. This makes me think that it could also be a very old picture, taken before the trip started.
I wonder if the gas bottles are out of spec and therefore not fillable ? what a great way to hide the stash ! welded up excess gas bottles painted and then locked away in a locker with the lid screwed down by a zillion short screws...

Hey in another site, I saw a picture of him laying a batten along the bottom of the roller furler jib, to get the foot recut shape right. he described it as a spare piece of timber he had kept for that purpose.

But then again, I saw a picture recently where he said he had glued all his spare timber together to make a spare spar...

Wow the inconsistencies in this story line get bigger by the day...
Circled the holes.... And I agree about the propane folly... Almost forgot about the "trap door" With the lid screwed down there is no way he is going to open and close that hatch very often.

day_197_gas_bottles_sm.jpg

Regatta Dog

Super Anarchist
More insanity at 1000days
Just remembered to put up his bimini or sunshade...

Doesn't have a thermometer though he was supposed to be monitoring sea conditions.

Supposedly doing supplemental celestial navigation but yet constantly resetting his clocks with "noon sun sites"... What about getting time off his GPS?

idiot!

He should just change the battery so they can get accurate time and air temps, though for water temps Soanya will still have to dip her feet in the water.

WHP105_WC.gif

Regatta Dog

Super Anarchist
Today Reid said:

Our contentment to just be here pleases the sea.
I checked with a buddy of mine who is good friends with the sea's cousin. He made a couple calls, caught the sea in between meetings and confirmed Reid's take on this. The sea is pleased with their contentment.

The sea also added, before having to take another call, that he appreciates Reid giving him a mention on the blog.

gary

CT
The sunshade picture looks to be an old one to as it shows Soanya with long hair. There was a post a few weeks ago in which she cut all of her hair off. Anyone else notice this?