Covid approaching the third anniversary

badlatitude

Super Anarchist
There are predictions that this winter will produce a substantial spike. What does that say about our interdiction efforts or lack of them? Is it fair to say our prejudices outweigh public health efforts?

Ishmael

Fuctifino
There are predictions that this winter will produce a substantial spike. What does that say about our interdiction efforts or lack of them? Is it fair to say our prejudices outweigh public health efforts?

I don't know about where you live, but up here lots of people are not masking in public indoor spaces. That's going to be an issue when this thing rebounds over the winter.

badlatitude

Super Anarchist
I don't know about where you live, but up here lots of people are not masking in public indoor spaces. That's going to be an issue when this thing rebounds over the winter.
I live in Los Angeles, and what you see is pretty much what I see here. L.A. County public health is saying they are close to mandating mask use again soon, but that doesn't change my behavior; if I go out to a large store or a public gathering, I will wear a mask. I haven't had a bout with the flu in three years. If anything, that is all I need to continue wearing a mask during the flu season. If we do have a spike I think there will be a lot of hard lessons learned.

Fakenews

Super Anarchist
There are predictions that this winter will produce a substantial spike. What does that say about our interdiction efforts or lack of them? Is it fair to say our prejudices outweigh public health efforts?A spike in cases
Or maybe it just says that like the flu there’s going to be a spike in cases in winter. Cases are not a particularly relevant anymore (Unless you live in China).

Marty Gingras

Mid-range Anarchist
My daughter works in a good local hospital and they've recently done away with the 'COVID wing'. For sure COVID-19 will spike, but odds are it won't be especially lethal nor over-run the hospitals. It'll be old anti-vaxxers and anti-vaxxers w/nasty comorbidities that'll experience a spike in deaths.

badlatitude

Super Anarchist
My daughter works in a good local hospital and they've recently done away with the 'COVID wing'. For sure COVID-19 will spike, but odds are it won't be especially lethal nor over-run the hospitals. It'll be old anti-vaxxers and anti-vaxxers w/nasty comorbidities that'll experience a spike in deaths.
I pretty much agree. There is a discussion on the possibility of the regular flu mixing with covid b5 and creating a devastating variant where even a mild case of covid will severely damage the immune system like AIDS did. If that doesn't stop people in their tracks from adopting more safe public health practices, I don't know what will.

Latest posts