Covid Casualty or Deliberate Fraud? Not such a Great Circle

G

I know and sail occasionally with my local sailmakers and pay their outrageous prices ( like double plus Far East prices) but I have never had an unresolved delivery/quality issue.

However if I was stumping up for string sails on a big boat, the price temptation might be too much to resist especially when you know that a lot of so called "local sails" are simply ordered via the Sailmaker  from contract lofts in third world countries and either finished locally (or not)

That said business is based on trust, and when you research reviews and find its all good, when its a real business selling common products and not some get rich quick or ridiculously cheap item then why wouldnt you buy from them?

The sailmaker business model seems to be;

Nice friendly local front person (often good sailor schmoozer who can work the room) and offshore loft plus contract local actual sail makers to do repairs and fitting.

Last edited:

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
However if I was stumping up for string sails on a big boat, the price temptation might be too much to resist especially when you know that a lot of so called "local sails" are simply ordered via the Sailmaker  from contract lofts in third world countries and either finished locally (or not)
This is exactly what I did on my previous boat when I wanted to get some new sails.  I had an excellent experience with Loong Sails.  Their local rep is in CT (Christopher Cole). Everything happened as he described and the sails worked beautifully.  I do know if something went wrong it would have been painful and probably nearly impossible to get post sale support.  But, my boat was 40 years old and just didnt want to spend 2x the dosh on the new canvas from big name brands.   On my current boat I would probably just save up and get a nice set of Doyles, or Norths or Quantum with the local reps in New England when the time comes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ncik

Super Anarchist
just didnt want to spend 2x the dosh on the new canvas from big name brands
This is part of the equation. At the end of the day, sailing/boating is a niche sport/past-time with very few participants. The industry that supports our sport is a cottage industry; there's very few customers with very few jobs, there's no production lines, the materials are expensive, the technical skills and knowledge are unique.  Employers are competing with the rest of society for employees. The low pay is sustained usually because of employees who are passionate about their job.

Cheap, fast, good - you only get to choose two.

Svanen

Super Anarchist
Whitby
Small claims court.
Obtaining a default judgment may well be straightforward.

Enforcing that judgment will be another matter.

I understand the frustration but a reality check is in order...we're in the middle of a pandemic. Not all countries are holding it together economically. Shipping charges have sky-rocketed. Material costs have sky-rocketed. Staff are getting sick. Small businesses going bust from these stresses is to be expected, particularly if they're dependent on international suppliers.
I am SO tired of Covid being employed as an all-purpose excuse for every possible fuck-up, incompetence, and general shoddy service (or no service).

’Due to Covid’ is a phrase that should be banned!!!

Let's just wait for a better explanation for a long-running and arguably well-regarded business going bust than "he's a fraudster".
Looks like it will be a very long wait. Both the OP and Decay have stated that they have repeatedly sought explanations from Brian Hancock, but that he has failed to respond.

Bad things sometimes happen to good people. But if circumstances beyond Brian’s control have made it impossible for him to deliver goods contracted for, he should refund the deposits.

At an absolute minimum, he should communicate openly and promptly with his unhappy customers. Surely that is not asking too much.

Last edited by a moderator:

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
Maybe you can get Mr. Hancock's email address from the Ed, since he accepted "Epic Proportions" for the mythical front page...