cracked gps screen

during a recent coastal race my handheld garmin 76cx got smacked.

is the only fix for a cracked screen to send it back to garmin?

the unit appears to be functional; foolish to fix it anticipating another smackola anyway?

who's been there & done that?

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
Only things I'd be concerned about there are moisture intrusion and readability. but if it works, might as well keep using it.

rexdenton

my Garmin Oregon (touch screen) got smacked by the boom in a race, cracking it, but it still worked. Looked into finding a replacement screen to DIY, nothing available...There are screens available for some devices, and even services out there on the internet if you want to take your chances.

I asked Garmin to 'fix it' by sending me a re-furb for the cost of replacing the screen, but do offer a repair service, (but it takes longer). Was around $150 on a $300 unit as I recall.

Caca Cabeza

Super Anarchist
Based on my experience with my Garmin Colorado, I would opt to buy other than Garmin. I have gone through 4 units in less than 2 years. No heavy duty use, in fact mostly car navigating. Garmin wouldn't stand behind it's products. I can understand a defective unit every once in a while, but mine? Sheesh.

Go buy another brand.

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
Based on my experience with my Garmin Colorado, I would opt to buy other than Garmin. I have gone through 4 units in less than 2 years. No heavy duty use, in fact mostly car navigating. Garmin wouldn't stand behind it's products. I can understand a defective unit every once in a while, but mine? Sheesh.

Go buy another brand.
Sorry to hear you've had such poor luck with your Garmins. I've had the same Garmin 76 Csx for the past 4 years, thrown around in my bag and on my sportboat, and except for some minor scratches it's just the way I bought it.

Give these guys a call. Don't know if they do any service though.
Good call & thanks but no replacement screens or service.

As was remarked, Garmin offered to send me a refurbsihed (used) unit in exchange for my new unit and $130.00.

Several newer units for sale on ebay for less. Kinda sucks that G does'nt offer DIY replacement screens or supply shops like GPSCity

Latest posts