Craigslist Finds

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
How about a thread with good Craigslist finds? I frequently look on Craigslist for boats that are needed by the Park City Sailing Association. Maybe somebody sees something that they really want in this thread that somebody else found.

Let's keep it to Sailing Dinghies only, as much as we all love other craigslist finds.

To start, here's a Flying Dutchman in Raleigh for $300 or best offer: http://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/5316974830.html

couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast

...I could imagine someone biting on that,,,rather pretty and looks to be in good nick.........

01111_1hQ0aUJcTbx_600x450.jpg

...but what a gumby job the 'restorer' did on the trailer attachment,,,,makes all his work suspect :mellow:

00505_aDcctYrpBHH_600x450.jpg

jersey_sailor

That is an extremely old Blue Jay, and the listed sail number is likely incorrect, unless it was not built by the major builder(s). My old one (#4868) was built in 1968, lacked air tanks, and also had a wooden boom. They've had airtanks at least since the 5K series.

Also, who would use a winch on that?

Still, they are far better boats for teaching sailing than Optis...

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
That is an extremely old Blue Jay, and the listed sail number is likely incorrect, unless it was not built by the major builder(s). My old one (#4868) was built in 1968, lacked air tanks, and also had a wooden boom. They've had airtanks at least since the 5K series.

This looks like a better deal to me

http://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/5295569223.html

As for teaching kids to sail in Optis, my observation is that a poor workman always blames his tools. The Opti is actually a nice-sailing little boat. OTOH once they learn to sail, most of them want to bring a friend and the Opti is not good for that; this is where the Blue Jay (or something similar, our program bought plastic Topper Topaz sloops) comes in handy.

This Blue Jay does not look like as good a deal -but- you'll be out less cash

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/boa/5347530889.html

Here's another interesting deal

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/boa/5243645530.html

Looks like you have some work to even get it out of the yard, but lotsa potential, the Star is a fun boat.

FB- Doug

RKoch

Super Anarchist
da 'burg
A Star is fun to sail. You can find a good club level boat for $5-6 grand. An average sailor, with a $5k boat, is going to get smoked at a major regatta, but there's no reason several peep couldn't have a bunch of fun sailing them as a local fleet.

The $300 Flying Dutchman would have serious potential as an EC 'monster boat'. Surprised no one has done it yet.

RKoch

Super Anarchist
da 'burg

Before ratchet blocks became available, lots of dinghies came with snubbing winches for the jib sheets. I had one on the 12'er I learned to race on in the 60s, I recall some Thistles and Snipes having them.

Dex Sawash

Demi Anarchrist
NC USA
The $300 Flying Dutchman would have serious potential as an EC 'monster boat'. Surprised no one has done it yet.
I bet that is the Raleigh almost mulch FD that has come up before.

Didn't have the pictures up where you can see grass through the cockpit this time

RKoch

Super Anarchist
da 'burg

Or something like this

http://chautauqua.craigslist.org/boa/5296499497.html

Truly a monster without any need for further mods

FB- Doug
Scows have a 0.00 finish record. A couple of guys tried an E-scow twice...they never made it past Anna Maria. The guys with the c-scow a couple years ago, Chubacabra, were taking on serious water out in the Gulf. They made CP1 an hour or so behind FrankenScot, but dropped out early the next morning. All but swamped...they barely made it to shore near Sanibel. Gulf gets pretty nasty waves, it's shallow. Even inside route has some exposed sections that can get rough.

couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast
A Star is fun to sail. You can find a good club level boat for $5-6 grand. An average sailor, with a $5k boat, is going to get smoked at a major regatta, but there's no reason several peep couldn't have a bunch of fun sailing them as a local fleet.

...the Star fleet in Olympia Wa comes to mind. One mainstay that's constantly refurbing old stars,,and a whole bunch who jump in for the game. They have restrictions on how new a hull or sails can be.

.....they have a lot of fun.

Star%20Races%20029a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Foxy

Sebastian FL
OK, not a sailboat, but I found this little boat on Craig's list and rescued it to use for umpiring team racing and helping out with the local sailing program. She was designed and built in Norway in 1982 by Jan Herman Linge, the designer of the Soling and Yngling. The Musling was his smallest powerboat design and has several larger sisters, the Vesling and the Fordling. As I researched the boat, I found out that they are still in production in Jan's original shop. As near as I can tell, this is the original engine or is at least the same vintage. I did have to build a new center console and reinforce the transom along with a lot of fiberglass repair.

Musling2.jpg