Craigslist Finds

FD Sea Dog

U.S.A.
Note also: that “smell” in newer boats and in closed areas of older boats is plastic ( or parts of it) leaving the structure.
That smell is Esters, if I recall my Inorganic Chemistry correctly,
At Least that's what Dr. RIchard Clark* taught us. I believe the guy knew his stuff.
As the vinyls and plastics in a New Car bleed Esters you get that smell.
Eventually esters work their way out and what creep was made, 'sets', hardening the material.

* (Dr. RIchard Clark - Former V.P. of Standard Oil of Indiana / PhD. Princeton (dissertation: A Quantum-Mechanical Compunction for Completeness - The electron's ability to circle a nucleus infinitely)

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
That smell is Esters, if I recall my Inorganic Chemistry correctly,
At Least that's what Dr. RIchard Clark* taught us. I believe the guy knew his stuff.
As the vinyls and plastics in a New Car bleed Esters you get that smell.
Eventually esters work their way out and what creep was made, 'sets', hardening the material.

* (Dr. RIchard Clark - Former V.P. of Standard Oil of Indiana / PhD. Princeton (dissertation: A Quantum-Mechanical Compunction for Completeness - The electron's ability to circle a nucleus infinitely)
Polyester……
Yes, he was correct. The distinct smell of polyester resin is styrene .
I do not agree you are smelling the esters.

FD Sea Dog

U.S.A.
Polyester……
Yes, he was correct. The distinct smell of polyester resin is styrene .
I do not agree you are smelling the esters.
Ester(s) (Wiki)
Vinyl Acetate - ACETIC ACID VINYL ESTER(s) (CDC)

... They perform as high-grade solvents for a broad array of plastics, plasticizers, resins, and lacquers,[2] and are one of the largest classes of synthetic lubricants on the commercial market.[3] Polyesters are important plastics, with monomers linked by ester moieties.

Styrene (CDC)

Styrene Polymerization (Wiki)
The presence of the vinyl group allows styrene to polymerize. Commercially significant products include polystyrene, acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS), styrene-butadiene (SBR) rubber, styrene-butadiene latex, SIS (styrene-isoprene-styrene), S-EB-S (styrene-ethylene/butylene-styrene), styrene-divinylbenzene (S-DVB), styrene-acrylonitrile resin (SAN), and unsaturated polyesters used in resins and thermosetting compounds. These materials are used in rubber, plastic, insulation, fiberglass, pipes, automobile and boat parts, food containers, and carpet backing.

Both depends on the application - lots of Vinyl in an Automobile, maybe not so much in a Dinghy.

Last edited:

Gouvernail

Austin Texas
The distinct smell of styrene is the distinct smell present in that which we recognize as “smells like fiberglass.”

Lots of other chemicals see present and that is why the smell varies a bit.

It is the styrene molecule that gives “new fiberglass” its distinct odor.

( You are welcome to blather on about how Fiberglass has no smell, but you will not be communicating anything about which snyone gives a shit)

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
49er FX in Maryland on Sail1Design sent to me by my brother. $1k Some assembly required

Screen Shot 2022-12-12 at 10.06.11 PM.png

Foredeck Shuffle

More of a Stoic Cynic, Anarchy Sounds Exhausting
I have just about finished rigging the RS600 back up, trying to get a new sail shipped over. And I bought 25lb of #9 lead shot to fill the bottom of the 29er centerboard. Then a friend picked up a new XYacht leadmine. And I'm still casually looking for a VX/One.

I don't have time for that thing!

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
I have just about finished rigging the RS600 back up, trying to get a new sail shipped over. And I bought 25lb of #9 lead shot to fill the bottom of the 29er centerboard. Then a friend picked up a new XYacht leadmine. And I'm still casually looking for a VX/One.

I don't have time for that thing!
I would say that you have your priorities straight...lots of boat stuff going on

Foredeck Shuffle

I would say that you have your priorities straight...lots of boat stuff going on
Just relooked the advert over. The FX rig would probably make more sense than the 29er. But I've invested too much time and effort on the 29er to switch now. That and there is no way I can stop a 49er at our launch ramp.

I had to have the bolt rope and luff on the mainsail on the 29er replaced with a size down with a 16 weave bolt rather than the 3 weave that was difficult to pull down while coming in for a retrieval. Now the sail drops the moment I release the halyard and I can come in under just the jib.

Reactions: WCB

LiquidSun

Not Sunny
Seattle

The dinghy/pram you have always wanted! A beautifully constructed Cheasapeake Light Craft Eastport Pram. Dimensions are 7'9" long, 48" Beam, and 62 lbs. You haul, can be cartopped, I can help load. Includes oars. Must sell due to health issues. Very stable, and has flotation built in, see https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats...rt-pram/eastport-pram-rowing-sailing-kit.html. Located just off I5 in North Arlington. $1025 or best offer

00C0C_5TgmLbgfuMTz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:

Foredeck Shuffle

Gouvernail

Austin Texas

Latest posts