Craigslist Finds

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
Still stuck that if its not OD it is worthless?

Most of the country races handicap.
Never have been. However, given the option of sailing a unique boat or sailing in a fleet of similar toys, I will always choose sailing with toys that are evenly matched.
Sailing purely to see how fast you can get around the course is a game.
Sailing among a group of similar boats so you can play all those games within the game is something I consider to be much more enjoyable.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
A used VX/One sells between $20K-$35K and has a handicap of 77. An M17 for $4,700 and a rating of 79. The SA/D and D/L is better for the M17.

No matter which one I buy I'm racing handicap.

VX/One is a LOT more fun... way, way-y more... possibly even $15~31K worth...

...and if you're willing to drive a couple of states, you -could- race the VX/One in a fleet. Ain't gonna happen with the M17.

Alan Crawford

Super Anarchist
Bozeman, Montana
An old Finn (Newport?) located in San Diego for $700. Includes a wooden mast. The mast could be more valuable than the boat in the right hands depending on builder and condition.

There's a second Finn (Vanguard?) also on the San Diego CL a few rows below this one.

Screen Shot 2022-12-17 at 10.57.51 AM.png

Foredeck Shuffle

More of a Stoic Cynic, Anarchy Sounds Exhausting
One of the photos is of the Severn River entrance back when the Navy's submarine antenna towers were still around. That's been... ...15+ years since all but three were taken down? The price is very reasonable if its all there, even if it needs work. SSA's fleet is still active.

Very nice photo. A high res version would be mountable.

00O0O_iNffuRHFISiz_0A80t2_600x450.jpg

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
My winter project about when this boat was built was the restoration of a 1946 wood Star.
It was really old!! … just over 25 years
We managed a top ten finish in a 100 boat fleet and sold it that Sunday afternoon.

This boat, sold as new in 72 was likely mostly built in 71.
That jeans it is twice as old as the Star Young me thought was ancient.

It IS ancient!!!

Reactions: WCB

preilly79

My winter project about when this boat was built was the restoration of a 1946 wood Star.
It was really old!! … just over 25 years
We managed a top ten finish in a 100 boat fleet and sold it that Sunday afternoon.

This boat, sold as new in 72 was likely mostly built in 71.
That jeans it is twice as old as the Star Young me thought was ancient.

It IS ancient!!!
Damnit man, now you're making me feel old.

A few buddies and I stupidly passed on a mostly sorted 49er (old rig) in the mid-Atlantic for cheap, apparently, a bunch of high schoolers got it before we could make up our minds.

Does anyone know if there are any non-piecemeal 49ers that may need a bit of TLC in the mid-Atlantic?

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
A few buddies and I stupidly passed on a mostly sorted 49er (old rig) in the mid-Atlantic for cheap, apparently, a bunch of high schoolers got it before we could make up our minds.

Does anyone know if there are any non-piecemeal 49ers that may need a bit of TLC in the mid-Atlantic?
Not sure if it's the same boat but this one is in Annapolis. Still listed on Sail1Design https://sailingjobs.sail1design.com/classified/mackay-49er-fx-project-boat-listing-3548.aspx

jimmydyurko

Never have been. However, given the option of sailing a unique boat or sailing in a fleet of similar toys, I will always choose sailing with toys that are evenly matched.
Sailing purely to see how fast you can get around the course is a game.
Sailing among a group of similar boats so you can play all those games within the game is something I consider to be much more enjoyable.
I do a lot of both handicap and one design.

I like handicap racing on my one design boat. Since I know where I stand in the OD fleet, it's fun to see how I can do against others too.

I also race handicap with a weird (PHRF) boat. It's not as much fun because I never really know if I'm really doing well or not, or if I'm just in the right or wrong boat for the conditions. Boat is still fun to sail but it would be better if there was at least one other like boat in my fleet.