Craigslist Finds

Norse Horse

Super Anarchist
The Rock
For fans of Windmills, like me, here is one that was modded. http://www.jonesboatworks.com/malu/

"The Clark Mills designed Windmill is the mid-century modern – sports car version of a sharpie, a one design class for teenagers who had out grown the Optimist Pram, and wanted the fastest, go-to-hell sailboat around. The Windmill had been part of my sailing history. I had crewed on a Windmill as a teen in Tarpon Springs and later worked at Clearwater Bay Marine Ways, and became friends with Clark. This was my starting point. The Windmill was designed for simple strong construction, so that a home built boat could compete in the class. It has proven to be not only fast, but also seaworthy (see WoodenBoat #26, Classic Boat January 2014 p.67). I have maintained these qualities in Malu."

BobBill

Super Anarchist
SE Minnesota.
For fans of Windmills, like me, here is one that was modded. http://www.jonesboatworks.com/malu/

"The Clark Mills designed Windmill is the mid-century modern – sports car version of a sharpie, a one design class for teenagers who had out grown the Optimist Pram, and wanted the fastest, go-to-hell sailboat around. The Windmill had been part of my sailing history. I had crewed on a Windmill as a teen in Tarpon Springs and later worked at Clearwater Bay Marine Ways, and became friends with Clark. This was my starting point. The Windmill was designed for simple strong construction, so that a home built boat could compete in the class. It has proven to be not only fast, but also seaworthy (see WoodenBoat #26, Classic Boat January 2014 p.67). I have maintained these qualities in Malu."
Very interesting...first thing came to mind was Everglades Challenge...Windmill hulls and boats are a great push for "simple!"

Simple is usually best in the beginning, and always best later...IMHO.

Watching the video of the FrankenWindmill I thought the area looked familiar.

Now I find the talented wood boat builder lives less than two miles away from my home!

Yes, a used Windmill with some modifications, even if not as impressive as Jonesboatworks, would be an excellent Everglades Challenge craft.

If I count right, I have owned or sailed competitively on 15 Windmills over 50 years, including #1.

Maybe I should get one more, eh?

Dave Ellis

Honorary Life Member, Windmill Class Association

BobBill

Super Anarchist
SE Minnesota.

Now I find the talented wood boat builder lives less than two miles away from my home!

Yes, a used Windmill with some modifications, even if not as impressive as Jonesboatworks, would be an excellent Everglades Challenge craft.

If I count right, I have owned or sailed competitively on 15 Windmills over 50 years, including #1.

Dave Ellis

Wish I had sailed on one...ingenious machine, IMHO.

RKoch

Super Anarchist
da 'burg

"The Clark Mills designed Windmill is the mid-century modern sports car version of a sharpie, a one design class for teenagers who had out grown the Optimist Pram, and wanted the fastest, go-to-hell sailboat around. The Windmill had been part of my sailing history. I had crewed on a Windmill as a teen in Tarpon Springs and later worked at Clearwater Bay Marine Ways, and became friends with Clark. This was my starting point. The Windmill was designed for simple strong construction, so that a home built boat could compete in the class. It has proven to be not only fast, but also seaworthy (see WoodenBoat #26, Classic Boat January 2014 p.67). I have maintained these qualities in Malu."
This is a block from my house. It's actually slightly bigger than a windmill, same hull shape though. I think the guy goes to the same small-boat meet ups many of the EC guys do, but I don't think he's sailed in the EC. He's also got a beamy cb boat about 22' parked beside his house...similar to a catboat but sloop-rigged. Nice workshop in his backyard.

Norse Horse

Super Anarchist
The Rock

Very interesting...first thing came to mind was Everglades Challenge...Windmill hulls and boats are a great push for "simple!"

Simple is usually best in the beginning, and always best later...IMHO.
+1

Someone start a thread on the EC 2017 for us....

Dave Ellis

That is pretty cool and a lot of Windmills you sailed.

It sounds like a good reason to get another one and EC. :)

This is a block from my house. It's actually slightly bigger than a windmill, same hull shape though. I think the guy goes to the same small-boat meet ups many of the EC guys do, but I don't think he's sailed in the EC. He's also got a beamy cb boat about 22' parked beside his house...similar to a catboat but sloop-rigged. Nice workshop in his backyard.
That is remarkable, the things you find out neighbours do, that are of interest in that way.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
No such thing as a stupid question.
I have no idea and I am too lazy to figure it out for myself

It's not an Aero hull. I think the writer of the ad just used a bunch of words he thought applied to cool boats in the hopes of selling it sooner / for more money

FB- Doug

Pretty sure this is an Aero 8 NS14

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Is that the same hull as the current Aero??
Is that a stupid question?
It's not an Aero hull. I think the writer of the ad just used a bunch of words he thought applied to cool boats in the hopes of selling it sooner / for more money

FB- Doug
Pretty sure this is an Aero 8 NS14
Ah so, thanks. We were thinking "RS Aero"

FB- Doug

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
Is that the same hull as the current Aero??
Is that a stupid question?

FB- Doug
So... no road trip to get a boat

trisail

Anarchist
Good evening,

Anyone for a genuine Weta? This one for sale on Gumtree, South Africa. (Kinda like Craigslist)

image.jpg

Latest posts