Craigslist Finds

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
If you have the old two piece mast, and you never plan to sail it as a cat rig with no shrouds, you can :

1. Take the mast apart

2. Look at how much of the inner tube sticks out above the. bottom section

2. Remove the inner tube

3. Cut the tube so the same amount will remain below the joint as was originally above the joint

4. Put it back together with about 1/4 of the total weight removed

The bust will still be 100 pounds too heavy but it will be a little better

Norse Horse

Super Anarchist
The Rock
May I present the George O'Day approved, Mach 2, Jetwind.

Special waffled hull for release, large sail area and the performance of rotomolded scantlings.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/6112969211.html

waffles anyone.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
The sad tale of MFG and the general disdain of the sailing/buying public really does make one sad about our squandered potential - when the sport was big and still growing,  how many sailors were chased off by those terrible products ?

After my own experience teaching sailing on a lake in Pintails,  I know that I nearly gave up on it - fortunately there was this Prindle 16,  and...

But the rancor at having been taken for a sucker has some staying power - I've never owned a Ford product after that garbage they foisted on my family in the 70's and 80s.

Oh yeah,  I bought a surplus'ed Sidewinder - the school/rec facility I worked at had 3 for teaching and they NEVER got used "too hard to sail" they said,  so I picked one up cheap and took it home,  cleaned it up,  sailed it a handful of times - barely knowing enough to understand how badly it sucked - and sold it on to another sucker so I could buy a windsurfer.

Last edited by a moderator:

BobBill

Super Anarchist
SE Minnesota.
Great Red Shark +1. The thing is, corporate types don't care, as long as they get paid. Same now as then only worse, IMHO...Brunswick, MFG, even O'Day....and too bad...some rigs were the max and stayed that way...Kite, Mobjacks, Banshee, Sunfish, even commercial versions of 14s. Pintail was crap to begin with and never changed, IMHO, but windsurfing is not a goo way to progress. Read Gouvernail;s wisdom above, he knew from inside. Lots of very good rigs came out to fill gaps, but few did well by numbers. Was a rough period in sailing.

The great rigs, Finn, Soling, 14, FDs etc, survived for a reason...

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
I was downright excited about that boat until I saw the rotted plywood deck. maybe it can be saved but it's way more of a project than it's worth to this guy

BobBill

Super Anarchist
SE Minnesota.
Ugly fast, was how we used to call Ys back when I did 14s. But, one sail in a Melges MC boat and you never look back. I never new the boats needed 4 shrouds or were built with them. Mast must need taming. And, Alan makes a good point...