Craigslist - Not mocking

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Sort of sad. Most of the work looks decent. Shame about the galvanized fastening, but that was probably the spec for the boat.

Another dream down the drain...
I think it's more likely that it outlived its builder.

Pretty apparent that the building was the thing, not the finished boat.

Schnappi

This looks too well done to put in the Mocking thread but it was a close call - had a newspaper article about how old & unfinished it was - 20 years ago - and here it is still unfinished.

But it is 92% complete.

View attachment 551745
I like that it comes with a 20 year old newspaper (printed 4 days before 911!!).

1667960635502.png

The "Sooke looks anew at seq quiz" headline is interesting.

Veeger

Super Anarchist
@Raincoast

Someone needs to very firmly grab you by the shoulders. Turn you around. And march that idea right out of your head! NOW!

Just because it's wood and just because it's a traditional type design, does NOT make it a 'beauty'.

(no one likes an intervention when it's occurring, but you'll thank me later)

SemiSalt

Super Anarchist
WLIS
I think I've got one more boat build left in me and if it never got finished - shrug. .... Hence my starting to think about building another one... I get bored without long-running projects to occupy me.

FKT

An interesting choice between something big and simple or something small and intricate.

I know the Valiant Pilothouse is pretty rare, less than 10? Can’t tell if this level of pox qualifies it as mocking or not, I imagine this should be a full peel and epoxy job to set it right.

DA57A65C-92C7-47A6-ABC0-8379BE582DDD.png

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
The blister Valiants are quite different from other blister boats due to the cause being the Hetron resin rather than just the usual permeation of the outer layer.

The Hetron boats get pox everywhere - all through the laminate, on the deck - everywhere.

I've seen pics of them looking like a bad case of smallpox.

1669498611931.png
1669498638388.png

Last edited:
If only etc....... I was younger. Spent time cruising French Polynesia in the company of "Loco" the Wylie 31 you mentioned. Built by Mike in SoCal. She was a cold molded beauty. We were on a Carter 30.
The price ( $9,000 ) seems too low but then the cost of finishing is X. X being unknown.

Latest posts