Crazy Atlantic Crossing

Bored Stiff

Copenhagen
So this could have gone in Shorthanded Anarchy or Ocean Anarchy, but bot deserves a place at the top of the tree.  An eccentric attempt to cross the Atlantic in the shortest boat. 
I couldn’t see it reported on SA, so hope no one minds the link to another site.  https://www.sail-world.com/news/249138/Brilliantly-barmy

4A6AD6C1-96F7-4C46-B3B6-E7167D278002.jpeg

Foredeck Shuffle

More of a Stoic Cynic, Anarchy Sounds Exhausting
I'm younger than he is and work out, I cannot imagine sitting upright for for 2 months in that thing and being tossed about.  It doesn't have room for all of the ibuprofen and muscle relaxer necessary.

Hope he makes it!

yysw358933.jpg

Foreverslow

Super Anarchist
Good on him

Now can he sign a waiver that no coast guard/naval vessel is going to have to come out and save him?

They are already closing down local stations due to budget constraints.
They should not have to risk lives and piss away fuel to recover dumb asses from their own folly.

Ever see the size of the oil rig support ships used to service the offshore rigs?   They fucking huge (200-500') for a reason.

https://horizonship.com/ship/199-anchor-handling-tug-supply-vessel-2005/

Have such idiots raise funds to pay for such emergency services first.  They can get a cut of the action from the local bookies on what day he bails on this endevour.

Or the over under the rudder snaps off the first time that thing inverts.

Idiots like this just reinforce the public's opinion of sailors being a bunch of rich clueless jackasses.

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
around 1900 nm

3' waterline

Hull speed: 1.34* sqrt(3)= 2.3 knots

1900/2.3=826 hours = 34 1/2 days. He's giving himself 60, but relying on a handpump watermaker and handcranked generator. Boy I sure hope he makes it. He seems to have the chops for it.

Parma

Super Anarchist
here
I'm curious if anybody knows if he's going to be wearing a motorcycle helmet or neck brace?

casc27

Super Anarchist
He will need to be met with one of those nuclear decontamination showers. What's next, someone crafts a way to attach a sail to to a PFD, adds the appropriate amount of lead to their boots and sets off? And how do you calculate the appropriate amount of boot-lead to accommodate weight loss during transit? Maybe something along the lines of the bags of sand or whatever hot air balloons use? I think I will add popcorn to the grocery list.

jesposito

Super Anarchist
He will need to be met with one of those nuclear decontamination showers. What's next, someone crafts a way to attach a sail to to a PFD, adds the appropriate amount of lead to their boots and sets off? And how do you calculate the appropriate amount of boot-lead to accommodate weight loss during transit? Maybe something along the lines of the bags of sand or whatever hot air balloons use? I think I will add popcorn to the grocery list.
Do we have a Darwin Award winner for 2022 yet?

casc27

Super Anarchist
Do we have a Darwin Award winner for 2022 yet?
Maybe, but he's not dead yet.

The Darwin comment had me contemplating how such endeavors would affect reproduction...then I pondered old sayings like "if she can't stand up in it, she won't lay down in it" and then I realized we are safe as there is not room enough in that metal coffin (at least it appeared to be fabricated from metal) for our lunatic to so much as wank himself. At least the Cone had enough room for such frivolities and an abundant supply of inspirational material plastered all over the forepeak. (Please do not ever tell me what they used for glue.) I wonder are there any offspring surreptitiously wandering our beleaguered planted who can lay claim to being spawn of the Cone?