Crazy Dinghy Ideas

Foredeck Shuffle

More of a Stoic Cynic, Anarchy Sounds Exhausting
I was searching for something in YT and for some reason on the side bar popped up a video of two guys that obviously play football at college, filling balls to their proper pressure (no Brady balls) with regular air and another set with helium. Then they free kicked, place kicked, and threw them and measured the hang time as well as the distance. Hang time did not really change (.1-.2 seconds longer) but distances traveled increased by 7-10% though not so much with throwing which was the shorter distances of the three. I do not know if this is true but in the video they said that the NFL record for a successful field goal is 64 yards and one of the two non-pro's kicked a 65 yard field goal that was well above the horizontal of the pole.

So, crazy/dumb idea. What happens if you take a light dinghy with high volume (hey there TGIF/Laser/Torch/ILCA) and filled it with helium? The weight of the sailor on board obviously can negate this effort if the control were someone lighter, but would a helium filled boat offset the weight of the sailor?

What about a lighter boat like an RS Aero?

Are there any light dinghies with high volume?

And the real point of this thread, anyone have any other crazy idea that might actually work?

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Olympic swimmers were experimenting with air (not helium) enemas until it got verboten, no joke! So in very light dinghy classes where the weight of the sailor matters most…. no, forget it! I haven’t told you that! I didn’t! Never!
So would the helium change the sound a ones farts the same as it does ones voice when the helium is inhaled?

david r

Anarchist
pond
If hydrogen leaks out of it's container, how did the zeppelins get across the Atlantic without the gas leaking away? Curious as to what state the hydrogen is in when they store it onboard for the fuel cells?
Also, a solid that is lighter than air would solve the original question, but idk if that really exists:)

Foredeck Shuffle

More of a Stoic Cynic, Anarchy Sounds Exhausting
If hydrogen leaks out of it's container, how did the zeppelins get across the Atlantic without the gas leaking away? Curious as to what state the hydrogen is in when they store it onboard for the fuel cells?
Also, a solid that is lighter than air would solve the original question, but idk if that really exists:)
Water ballast is release periodically. But it's not like a child's helium balloon, not that fast. Need to do some reading...

I'm thinking that on your average dinghy, and especially the plugs we use, that He is a safer bet than H. Plus I have no interest in sailing around on what is for all intents and purposes, a bomb.

H is compressed in transportation vehicles but I have no idea about the details, so I found this.
Compressed hydrogen in hydrogen tanks at 350 bar (5,000 psi) and 700 bar (10,000 psi) is used for hydrogen tank systems in vehicles, based on type IV carbon-composite technology. Car manufacturers have been developing this solution, such as Honda or Nissan.
Did more reading and you are correct, for the purposes of a boat racing for a weekend H would be fine. Except for the explody part.

10thTonner

Hazard to Navigation
South of Spandau
Helium would leak out of your laser hull like hell but it would also float upwards and diffuse into the air rather quickly. So unless you are planning to light that big cone right after the upwind mark you’ll be good.

skslr

Germany
A VX Evo has got a pretty substantial hull volume for a singlehander...

Yes, at 10.000 psi Hydrogen leaks through pretty much everything. But - in contrast to a foot ball - you would just try to replace the "heavier" air inside the hull as any over pressure would mean more weight again and - worse - blowing the hull apart.

At ambient pressure an air tight hull would not leak any critical amount of hydrogen and even if it would just rise into the sky the same as helium.

Hydrogen is way safer than gasoline, so people should stop talking of "bomb" all day.

El Borracho

Verified User
Pacific Rim
In the zeppelin H₂ is near atmospheric pressure … little incentive to leak.

Something I've been mulling over for a while.
Circular cross section masts fail when a section of wall folds in.
What would happen if you had a thin closed tube, too small to support the normal loads and pumped it up to keep all areas of the mast in tension?
You could carefully play with the pressure to alter the bend characteristic as you sailed..........let's ignore the safety aspects of 100+psi in a thin tube around humans.

El Borracho

Verified User
Pacific Rim
Something I've been mulling over for a while.
Circular cross section masts fail when a section of wall folds in.
What would happen if you had a thin closed tube, too small to support the normal loads and pumped it up to keep all areas of the mast in tension?
You could carefully play with the pressure to alter the bend characteristic as you sailed..........let's ignore the safety aspects of 100+psi in a thin tube around humans.
No matter how high you pump up your inflatable mast a compressive force component remains. Given that the modulus of elasticity, length and moment of inertia remain unchanged then the tendency to fail by buckling remains (Euler). That is my guess, anyway, after giving it 1 minute of inebriated consideration. Then again, clown-made balloon swords do seem to be more lethal when fully inflated.

skslr

Germany
"Bend characteristics" reminded me of this National 12 that could change its rocker line:

And there was of course this one (Waves were supposed to wash through the double floor hull instead of being "split" by the bow):
1662035558547.png