creaky floorboards

Navig8tor

Super Anarchist
Have recently got a Farr boat, fast cruiser primarily me and the missus cruising.

My problem, The floorboards squeak something horrid.

Coupla things; the Ring frame was recently rebuilt pre us, and I am thinking the new ring if it even if its 2mm out will mean the floorboards are not getting on well with each other.

The fit between boards is tighter than a nun on a Sunday.

I'm thinking before I get all drastic I need to think this through and get some feedback before I go and do something rash.

Ply with Teak and Holly veneer.

It seems that every panel squeaks and moans like youre standing on a recently departed corpse. this is particularly disconcerting when you are tip toeing about trying not to wake up peple while getting breeky readyeach panel has a bevelled edge they lay on transverse grid that is gel coated fibreglass

The boat is 1987 production by Sea Nymph in NZ.

Gap athwartsips is about 2mm whereas the longitdunal teak holly panels seem to have less that 1 (one) mm you can barely see the join.

I am thinking candle wax the edges first, failing that maybe sand the floorboard immediately next the new ring frame !mm at a time

I am open to suggestions. :rolleyes:

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
Have recently got a Farr boat, fast cruiser primarily me and the missus cruising.

My problem, The floorboards squeak something horrid.

Coupla things; the Ring frame was recently rebuilt pre us, and I am thinking the new ring if it even if its 2mm out will mean the floorboards are not getting on well with each other.

The fit between boards is tighter than a nun on a Sunday.

I'm thinking before I get all drastic I need to think this through and get some feedback before I go and do something rash.

Ply with Teak and Holly veneer.

It seems that every panel squeaks and moans like youre standing on a recently departed corpse. this is particularly disconcerting when you are tip toeing about trying not to wake up peple while getting breeky readyeach panel has a bevelled edge they lay on transverse grid that is gel coated fibreglass

The boat is 1987 production by Sea Nymph in NZ.

Gap athwartsips is about 2mm whereas the longitdunal teak holly panels seem to have less that 1 (one) mm you can barely see the join.

I am thinking candle wax the edges first, failing that maybe sand the floorboard immediately next the new ring frame !mm at a time

I am open to suggestions. :rolleyes:
Gaps will be your answer, shave a few mm from the tight panels and add some fasteners to arrest shift.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Fix the problem - open up the gaps until the squeaking stops.

Also, you should consider that the sole boards may be too thin if they flex like that - possibly some strategic stiffeners underneath.

Navig8tor

Super Anarchist
Thanks guys.

Great input, taking the belt sander to the boat tommorow to sand back some critical edges, will see what results hopefully all good.

gkny

To provide support for thin panels, I screwed pvc threaded caps to the underside.  I then threaded some pic pipe into them.  The threads allowed for some adjustment