Crew positions on A5

luminary

Anarchist
Easy to see where the work is being done on DZ, but I'm not sure where or how many we'll see on CZ. Anyone got ideas on where the crew are designed into CZ?

BogusScam

Easy to see where the work is being done on DZ, but I'm not sure where or how many we'll see on CZ. Anyone got ideas on where the crew are designed into CZ?
First, there is no 'A5' - it is 'CheezeZilla', 'CZ', or the 'BigCheezeWhiz' - but there is no such thing as 'A5'. At least the body of your message got it right. Crew positions? It doesn't matter - they are all going to end up in the hospital just the same no matter where they start out.

Last edited by a moderator:

DC_US55

Super Anarchist
My guess is 300 ft downwind...when the CATapult does it's thing!

Rail Meat

Super Anarchist
Mystic, CT
First, there is no 'A5' - it is 'CheezeZilla', 'CZ', or the 'BigCheezeWhiz' - but there is no such thing as 'A5'. At least the body of your message got it right. Crew positions? It doesn't matter - they are all going to end up in the hospital just the same no matter where they start out.

Don't be so English-Centric. Given Ernie's Swiss-Italian background the proper name is "Fromaggioezilla". But also accepted would be "Käsezilla" or "Fromagezilla" if you happen to come from one of the German or Italian speaking cantons.

FuckYou

Don't be so English-Centric. Given Ernie's Swiss-Italian background the proper name is "Fromaggioezilla". But also accepted would be "Käsezilla" or "Fromagezilla" if you happen to come from one of the German or Italian speaking cantons.
That fucking CheezeHead Ernie speaks all four of those languages - so he understands all these suitable terms. But A5 is out.

phomchick

Super Anarchist
San Francisco
Given the wheel stations on CZ, perhaps they'll drive from the leeward hull. They'd have a much better view of what the lee bow was doing, and would have a shorter trip through the air if anything went wrong. Even though this is a "light" zilla, it certainly doesn't matter trim-wise where the skipper is. Where would YOU want to drive from?

(Having the wheel stations where the are also makes me think they have hydraulic steering).

luminary

Anarchist
Given the wheel stations on CZ, perhaps they'll drive from the leeward hull. They'd have a much better view of what the lee bow was doing, and would have a shorter trip through the air if anything went wrong. Even though this is a "light" zilla, it certainly doesn't matter trim-wise where the skipper is. Where would YOU want to drive from?
(Having the wheel stations where the are also makes me think they have hydraulic steering).
DZ has four grinder pedestals. I havent seen anything similar on CZ - and the amount of deck space is zero - so - does everything happen on the rear crossbeam?

I wonder if they need 8 guys standing on the rear beam to keep the bows out in order to measure?

phomchick

Super Anarchist
San Francisco
DZ has four grinder pedestals. I havent seen anything similar on CZ - and the amount of deck space is zero - so - does everything happen on the rear crossbeam?

I wonder if they need 8 guys standing on the rear beam to keep the bows out in order to measure?
CZ doesn't need grinders. It has an engine on the back beam that will power the winches. (And who knows what else?)

Stingray

Super Anarchist
PNW

Grinders? What grinders? Alinghi fired them all months ago. And then removed them from their web site. And then added them back on the web site. And now people are saying they are only on a short retainer.

It's all about the engine, EB is trying to make up rules to help himself to, that were not in place at the time GGYC challenged. I hope he has a backup plan, for if/when that engine backfires.

idontwan2know

Super Anarchist

Grinders? What grinders? Alinghi fired them all months ago. And then removed them from their web site. And then added them back on the web site. And now people are saying they are only on a short retainer.

It's all about the engine, EB is trying to make up rules to help himself to, that were not in place at the time GGYC challenged. I hope he has a backup plan, for if/when that engine backfires.
This is a critical point. I'd bet that while DZ was in for mods, all the necessary modifications for going to powered winches and hydraulics were made and could be installed in a matter of days should the issue go to court and Alinghi prevail on the point.

Does CZ have the same flexibility? Could coffee grinders be added without major modifications? Doesn't seem likely.