Cruising Grenada

Bacchus66

So I'm going to be cruising around Grenada this coming winter (6 nights), and wondered if anyone had any particular recommendations for good anchorages, places to snorkel, and even what might be interesting on the Island itself other than the Volcano, which my mother wants to see. Maybe even some places to avoid if there are any.

Tabogo Cay is definitely on the itinerary, just looking for any other suggestions as well.

Thanks in advance.

Nice!!  We spent around 10 days there in 2016, but land based on Grenada only.  There's an underwater sculpture park just south of Dragon Bay that is worth checking out.  We snorkeled it easy enough, and the Dragon Bay Bar is a quick shore trip for a cold beverage.  Unfortunately the sea life is fairly depleted. 

Grand Etang NP is a solid day trip.  We just hired a driver with a van to haul us around so we didn't have to stress driving, it was a cheap and easy way to go. 

There are great beaches all over.  If you do Grand Anse, let them know you're not on a cruise ship and the prices for buckets of beer will be quite a bit cheaper.   Lance Aux beach was a little more private and looks like a decent anchorage. 

I don't think there was anywhere we felt unsafe there, just the usual precautions advised, although my wife was bitten by Chihuahua named Sparkles, so we got to visit a local clinic for a tetanus shot.  Watch out for Sparkles, and avoid the spiced rum.  

Enjoy!

hdra

Anarchist
With only 6 nights, getting up to the Tobago Cays is a bit much - won't leave you much time for anything else, since you need to clear out of Grenada, clear in in Union, and then do the reverse back again, with a long day sail both directions.  Don't know if there will still be any COVID restrictions too.  Might be worth restricting your trip to Grenada & Carriacou - will be a lot more laid back.

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Some of the charter companies will let you do the Tobago Cays on a one way basis and pay a bit extra for the deadhead return. That would work way better for a 6 night schedule. See what Roger Spronk (on Grenada) can work out for you.

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me
So I'm going to be cruising around Grenada this coming winter (6 nights), and wondered if anyone had any particular recommendations for good anchorages, places to snorkel, and even what might be interesting on the Island itself other than the Volcano, which my mother wants to see. Maybe even some places to avoid if there are any.

Tabogo Cay is definitely on the itinerary, just looking for any other suggestions as well.

Thanks in advance.
Tobago Cays is absolutely lovely, but it's been pointed out that it's a long haul for a week. Keep in mind you need to clear in and out to St. Vincent and the Grenadines coming from Grenada, most likely at Union Island, so that's going to suck some time each way stopping there. Unless there's someplace else you can check in/out other than Clifton; it's been a while since I sailed through there.

Carriacou is a fun sail, too. You can anchor out in Tyrell Bay and go ashore, and if you head for SVG you can clear in and out of there, too.

On the main island, we didn't move around a ton as full time cruisers. But the south end - Prickly Bay, Mt. Hartmann Bay, etc. is where the yacthies hang out, and isn't a terrible base of operations though being off St. George is fine so long as the wind is OK in the open roadstead anchorage there.

You used to be able to take the mad buses all over the island to see things, and getting a taxi driver arranged to take you places for a day is another good way to see some of the highlights on a tour. It's been so long since I've been there that I can't give you any names, but I bet if you go someplace like the Cruisers Forums you can get some good recommendations on who to reach and how to reach them for a good day seeing some of the island's highlights like the Grand Etang, the Grenada Chocolate Company, the Seven Sisters, and some of the rum distilleries.

Whinging Pom

Super Anarchist
Rivers rum distillery at the north end of the island.  Has one of the oldest water wheels in existence for crushing the cane.  Be warned, you can't take their jack iron home on the plane as it's too inflamable.  Get there by bus or taxi.  

Bacchus66

Thanks for all the info guys. Especially re length of trip to Tobogo Cays re check-in. That's one of the things I already knew about, and am working to figure out the exact check-in requirements. I think at least as it stand you need a iPCR before going to STV&G. THough of course there is no way of knowing what the covid related issues will be in 7 plus months.

Length of cruise is not under my control, as my mother and step-father are taking me with them since they are old enough that this will likley be their last cruise, and dont feel at all comfortable on their own. We shall see though.

Any additional thoughts are welcome,and we will definitely keep our eyes peeled for Sparkles.

Whinging Pom

Super Anarchist
Windward village in Carriacou.  Petite Martinique in the backgound.

007.JPG

Plumbean

You used to be able to take the mad buses all over the island to see things, and getting a taxi driver arranged to take you places for a day is another good way to see some of the highlights on a tour. It's been so long since I've been there that I can't give you any names, but I bet if you go someplace like the Cruisers Forums you can get some good recommendations on who to reach and how to reach them for a good day seeing some of the island's highlights like the Grand Etang, the Grenada Chocolate Company, the Seven Sisters, and some of the rum distilleries.
Grenada Chocolate Company was founded by a good friend of mine who was also a sailor.  He delivered chocolate via hobie cat around the islands and also to Europe via schooner.  Also was on board our Cheoy Lee for an epic bash to Bermuda in the same weather system that sank the Pride of Baltimore.  A great guy who sadly crossed the bar too soon.  See https://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/10/business/mott-green-47-dies-founded-grenada-chocolate.html

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me
Grenada Chocolate Company was founded by a good friend of mine who was also a sailor.  He delivered chocolate via hobie cat around the islands and also to Europe via schooner.  Also was on board our Cheoy Lee for an epic bash to Bermuda in the same weather system that sank the Pride of Baltimore.  A great guy who sadly crossed the bar too soon.  See https://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/10/business/mott-green-47-dies-founded-grenada-chocolate.html
Sad story, I heard about him when we were there years ago.

That Hobie ended up being donated to the Petite Calvigny Yacht Club, where I got a chance to sail it.