CS36, C&C 33-2, Ericson 35-3, Cal 33-2...

inneedofadvice

Super Anarchist
Sarnia
I just sold my Olson 29 and am looking for a little more comfort. I race Weds nights, some BYC/Mac, double handed and single handed as well as overnights and weekends with my partner. Don't plan on sailing the world but would like something fairly capable. Budget is about 30k USD. PHRF of 110 to 135ish. 

This is what I'm liking so far: CS36, C&C 33-2, Ericson 35-3, Cal 33-2. I like the C&C mk3 as well but the price is starting to get out of my range. Willing to ship from the US within reason (I'm in Canada on the great lakes), which leaves west coast boats out.  

Any reason to not choose any of the listed options or suggestions? Is buying a US boat based on a surveyor without actually seeing it a really bad idea?

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
consider a 35-2. we love ours. and yes, you should see the boat. i didn't and even though i had it surveyed and had a good friend check it out with like 100 pics, i should have gone to see it - i woulda ground the price down more!

Hitchhiker

Super Anarchist
Saquo-Pilia Hensha
I'm going to answer the last question first.

As a Certified Marine Surveyor (NAMS-Global since 1995), my opinion is, it is a very bad idea to buy a boat based on a surveyors report only.  You really ought to do your due diligence on any boat purchase before you hire a surveyor and then you really need to be there for the survey so that you can see in person what the surveyor is finding.  

Out of the boats you listed the top for my list would bee the Ericson 35-3 followed by the Call 33-2, then may be the C&C 33-2.

sledracr

Super Anarchist
PNW, ex-SoCal
Out of the boats you listed the top for my list would bee the Ericson 35-3
Me too.  If a little smaller is okay, the Ericson 32-III has worked out to be a great boat for me.  Big enough to go places, small enough I can easily do everything singlehanded, and sails great.  ~2 feet shorter than the 35-3, and something like 3500 lbs lighter.

Another good choice in that range is the C&C-34

Will

Buy the Cal 33 for the interior, amazing.  Cockpit is a bit small and it sails nice, but the interior is great!  I like the C&C 35MKIII but was told by an industry pro to stay away from that vintage C&C, so I never did look at one.  

inneedofadvice

Super Anarchist
Sarnia
consider a 35-2. we love ours. and yes, you should see the boat. i didn't and even though i had it surveyed and had a good friend check it out with like 100 pics, i should have gone to see it - i woulda ground the price down more!
Not sure I want to go that old especially without being able to view one as all that I’m seeing are in the US.  

I'm going to answer the last question first.

As a Certified Marine Surveyor (NAMS-Global since 1995), my opinion is, it is a very bad idea to buy a boat based on a surveyors report only.  You really ought to do your due diligence on any boat purchase before you hire a surveyor and then you really need to be there for the survey so that you can see in person what the surveyor is finding.  

Out of the boats you listed the top for my list would bee the Ericson 35-3 followed by the Call 33-2, then may be the C&C 33-2.
I was wondering about this. So a surveyor isn’t a reliable source for advice on whether a boat is reasonably priced relative to other boats of that style and vintage? Are there any ethical issues involved? Zero experience with surveys. 

Buy the Cal 33 for the interior, amazing.  Cockpit is a bit small and it sails nice, but the interior is great!  I like the C&C 35MKIII but was told by an industry pro to stay away from that vintage C&C, so I never did look at one.  
I’m going to look at a Cal 33-2 next weekend. I am personally more concerned with how well it sails and interior comes second. No reason to not have both though, right?

Me too.  If a little smaller is okay, the Ericson 32-III has worked out to be a great boat for me.  Big enough to go places, small enough I can easily do everything singlehanded, and sails great.  ~2 feet shorter than the 35-3, and something like 3500 lbs lighter.

Another good choice in that range is the C&C-34
The Ericson 35-3 is currently my preference. That said, they are all in the US and I’m therefore unable to view them in person. The C&C 34 is a little slow for a 34’er which is why I listed the 33-2. 

Monkey

Super Anarchist
Not sure I want to go that old especially without being able to view one as all that I’m seeing are in the US.  

I was wondering about this. So a surveyor isn’t a reliable source for advice on whether a boat is reasonably priced relative to other boats of that style and vintage? Are there any ethical issues involved? Zero experience with surveys. 

I’m going to look at a Cal 33-2 next weekend. I am personally more concerned with how well it sails and interior comes second. No reason to not have both though, right?

The Ericson 35-3 is currently my preference. That said, they are all in the US and I’m therefore unable to view them in person. The C&C 34 is a little slow for a 34’er which is why I listed the 33-2. 
Any good surveyor is going to give you cold hearted facts. Those facts look very different on a report versus crawling around the boat yourself. The simple answer is you want both. No matter how much you kid yourself, a boat purchase is an emotional choice. The surveyor is the voice of reason, but can’t honestly tell you if you’ll like the boat. 

Hitchhiker

Super Anarchist
Saquo-Pilia Hensha
 So a surveyor isn’t a reliable source for advice on whether a boat is reasonably priced relative to other boats of that style and vintage? Are there any ethical issues involved? Zero experience with surveys. 
Not at all.  In fact I often consult with buyers about the expected range they should be looking at for purchase.  A good surveyor will have a subscription with BUC Valu-Pro and Soldboats.com (not cheap!).  So that could be useful for you going into your Pre-survey inspection (Due Diligence). The surveyors final valuation will include the condition of the vessel at the time of survey.

What I am trying to be clear about is that you really ought to be present for the survey itself. You are making a significant investment.  Don't cheap out on the purchase process.  

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
Two other choices:

Ranger 33 (1969) built solid and sails great.

I also like Peterson 34 (1976) will go upwind great

CS 36 is a very capable boat. But then I am happily biased. If you are GL-based you should talk to Pat Sturgeon of the  eponymous brokerage.. He was with the company as senior commissioning officer and knows them inside and out. Spent many wintters south cruising with his family on them and was his boat of choice.No slug around the cans either.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
I think the build quality of the CS is miles above the Cal and probably above the C&C. Friends of ours sailed theirs from CA to Australia and didn't have too many issues except the V-drive.

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
What I am trying to be clear about is that you really ought to be present for the survey itself. You are making a significant investment.  Don't cheap out on the purchase process.  
^^^^This.  You will learn a metric butt ton about boats in general, and about “your” boat specifically.  I’ve never missed a survey over 6 boat purchases.  Backed away from 2 boats as a result.  Learn more each time.  It’s well worth the price in money and time to be present at the survey.

if your considering Ericsson 35-3s, you should also look at the 34-2 which is the same Hull, with a more chopped off transom....

I also like the Ericson 33 (Ron Holland IOR design), and the Frers 33 though they are at the very top of your price range...

Kent H

Kent H ...been here way too long..
US
I am just SHOCKED, HURT and FLABERGASTED!!!    How in the name of Tim Hortons could you not list the CANADIAN SAILCRAFT 36 !!!!   What is wrong with the CS 36???

I have to wonder just how easier it has become to sell an Ericson 35 since the Editor bought one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
^^^^This.  You will learn a metric butt ton about boats in general, and about “your” boat specifically.  I’ve never missed a survey over 6 boat purchases.  Backed away from 2 boats as a result.  Learn more each time.  It’s well worth the price in money and time to be present at the survey.

if your considering Ericsson 35-3s, you should also look at the 34-2 which is the same Hull, with a more chopped off transom....

I also like the Ericson 33 (Ron Holland IOR design), and the Frers 33 though they are at the very top of your price range...
Yes. Looking over the surveyor's shoulder as he goes through the boat is an education in itself. And you definitely want to know what kind of stuff he goes "hmmmm" over but passes.

Also, agree on the CS 36. They built good boats.

FB- Doug

inneedofadvice

Super Anarchist
Sarnia
All good info. I hadn't thought of being there while the surveyor did their thing. Seems obvious once you say it.

The biggest issue I'm up against is the limited selection of boats that I can see in Canada. That leaves three options:

Waiting until the border opens. I'm not predicting that'll be any day soon. I also think (possibly unfounded) that people are likely to be more willing to negotiate more in the fall as in the spring.

Buy based on a surveyors opinion. Seems the consensus so far is that's not a great plan.

Deal with limited selection. That leaves the Ericson 35-2 out which was my original leaning. There are some CS36's around though.