CST Composites 2008 International Moth World Championships

67ljf

The other clear requirement is that you come from "Down Under"! I cannot really explain it.

but I suspect that most Aussies have been brought up sailing in breeze so it's more natural.

Yes Simon you are probably very correct... add this to weather conditons in aus which means nearly year round sailing... and i guess "daylite savings" in summer as well means you can sail till 7pm or later in a perfect +20knt seabreeze... as well as the perfect locations around aus, and dont forget the older iconic classes that where designed for this type of weather like the VJ, VS, Flying Ant, Cherub etc etc... Simon why dont you ask Woody about the old VJ class... many world and national champs grew up learning on this crazy little boat... Chris Nicolson is one name that most people here would know

Like they say "Australia, the lucky country" :p

well done to John H. for his world moth champ win in his first attempt ;)

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Is Bora actually flying across the pond to make the start of the BYC MAC race tomorrow?
Yep, headed to sail on NJ. If he'd been in the hunt, he would have sailed the last race and blown a small fortune on a helo ride to Heathrow to catch his 6PM. RC also apparently scored him as retired in race 2. He hadn't, but given the way the week played out, he didn't bother fixing it. I'm bummed for Bora given the seriously obsessed way he's trained for the past year, but he got iced like a field goal kicker during a timeout.

FIGJAM

Bora missed the spreader mark in race 2, they had it on video. No surprise really considering the bear away in the breeze was a bit out of control.

A great result for a great bloke, and a seriously good sailor. If he was a self promoter a lot more people would know how good he is, but he gets in and works for the sport.

When you see a chance, take it ! A truly worthy champ.

Phil S

Super Anarchist
Sydney
Well Done John Harris.

None of us Bloggers/tipsters picked John, but he obviously had what it takes. The temprement to wait out the week. The skills, some of which must have come from years as a top 18 footer sailor. He put in many hours of trimming and training since Easter when he came only 8th in our NSW moth championship.

This was his second WC having finished 9th last year at Garda.

Last night I saw a happy Clive Watts from CST Composites. Not only did he sponsor the event he picked the winner with his backing of John's boat with Carbon Fibre Express. His new skinny masts are a winner too.

SimonN

Super Anarchist
Sydney ex London
Yes Simon you are probably very correct... add this to weather conditons in aus which means nearly year round sailing... and i guess "daylite savings" in summer as well means you can sail till 7pm or later in a perfect +20knt seabreeze... as well as the perfect locations around aus, and dont forget the older iconic classes that where designed for this type of weather like the VJ, VS, Flying Ant, Cherub etc etc... Simon why dont you ask Woody about the old VJ class... many world and national champs grew up learning on this crazy little boat... Chris Nicolson is one name that most people here would knowLike they say "Australia, the lucky country" :p
I don't think your reasoning is correct. In the UK, we do far more sailing than in Australia, which is maybe why we do so well in the Olympics. ;) I think that it is simply that the average wind in Oz is higher than most other locations.
Looking specifically at your points, UK dailight savings means that many clubs run vening races that don't finish until 8.30pm. They need to, because people don't duck out of work early for a sail! I also think that the year round sailing in Oz is another myth. I used to think that it was because Aussies were soft, not wanting to sail if it wasn't sunny and 25 degrees but now that I have lived here I realise that there is no wind for most of the winter. And finally, I think the UK youth scene is far better than over here. In fact, I have been very disappointed in what is on offer for my daughter and the fact there seems to be no formal system like in the UK.

So, while we can debate it all day, I think that the best explanation is that you become good at sailing in the conditions you most sail in. The problem with sailing a good consistent Nor'Easter mean that we always used to joke, if the venue was light and shite (less than 15 knots) and had shifts, the Aussies were sitting at the back of the fleet whinging about the conditions (ever hard that "Dutchman" Mitch Booth going on about sailing in less than 10 knots!!!! :lol: )

Irrespective of why, John is a fantastic sailor in real breeze, be it in an 18 or now, in the Moth. And as has been said above, he is a top bloke who does a lot for sailing in Sydney. He is one of the most helpful people in the 18 fleet and is very genuine person. He is a very popular champion.

well done to John H. for his world moth champ win in his first attempt ;)
Second attempt!

Bilbo

Congratulations to John Harris,

but special praise due to the 50+ runner up Andrew McDougall,

All the guys at Beaumaris Yacht Club are cheering load and long.

Well done sir, we'll catch up at the next school reunion - Don McP.

AlStorer

Super Anarchist
Cambridge
In the end, got to Weymouth too late to see racing- blame traffic. As we aproached Portland there were Moths being driven in the other direction.

Drove into the chaos of the boat park- there were others from the B14 fleet arriving, as well as 29ers and Lasers, whilst Moths were packing and leaving. You would hope that the UK's premier dinghy sailing venue might display some level of organisation in this situation.

You'd be sorely dissapointed.

Anyway, we parked up, and started rigging and bimbling. Noticed someone screwing down the lids on a couple of cases next to us, with Michigan addresses on them.- but as it turned out, this wasn't Bora, but his friend, George. No idea where Bora was at this point. George seemed pretty unimpressed with the organisation too- he reckoned they could have got racing far more then they did.

theycallmegod

I came down with the B14s.

We saw an odd creation today (sunday)

Like a slightly wider moth with a bigger rig and a self tacking jib. Apparently it was underpowered but was foiling.

(Doug Lord i specifically deny you the right to comment on this post)

MR.CLEAN

Not here
In the end, got to Weymouth too late to see racing- blame traffic. As we aproached Portland there were Moths being driven in the other direction.Drove into the chaos of the boat park- there were others from the B14 fleet arriving, as well as 29ers and Lasers, whilst Moths were packing and leaving. You would hope that the UK's premier dinghy sailing venue might display some level of organisation in this situation.

Anyway, we parked up, and started rigging and bimbling. Noticed someone screwing down the lids on a couple of cases next to us, with Michigan addresses on them.- but as it turned out, this wasn't Bora, but his friend, George. No idea where Bora was at this point. George seemed pretty unimpressed with the organisation too- he reckoned they could have got racing far more then they did.
George = George "Bear" Peet. Current holder of 24 hour monohull record as crew of ABN AMRO 2.

dougculnane

so what is the "Media Officer" doing?
no results or news since the 7th!

<http://www.moth-sailing.org/worlds/2008_uk.xml#results>
The Media Officer is sending out Press Releases to the press. If you want the latest news buy a subcription to an online sailing site.

The IMCA site is updated by me when I have finished sailing, boat preparation / repairs and got the energy to sit in front of a laptop on holiday. I have now just updated it with loads of stuff, but the result sheet on the IMCA site will have to wait a bit longer. Sorry this is not 100% professional but in my line of work it is important to have fun.

SimonN

Super Anarchist
Sydney ex London
Doug C

Considering the amount of time you had with your new boat, I would guess you were pretty happy with it. Any comments about it (or do I need to check your blog!)?

dougculnane

Doug C
Considering the amount of time you had with your new boat, I would guess you were pretty happy with it. Any comments about it (or do I need to check your blog!)?
I will blog about it but need to catch up with other stuff first. Basically the boat was great but I could not handle the 2 days of racing all day. I did not have the energy to complete all the races and was crusing around the race course too much. However I learnt lots and I am delighted with the boat which had only minor gear problems.

ferrero

In the end, got to Weymouth too late to see racing- blame traffic. As we aproached Portland there were Moths being driven in the other direction.Drove into the chaos of the boat park- there were others from the B14 fleet arriving, as well as 29ers and Lasers, whilst Moths were packing and leaving. You would hope that the UK's premier dinghy sailing venue might display some level of organisation in this situation.

Whilst i am not in any way the biggest supporter of WPNSA your comments are totally unfair. You arrived on saturday, the day after the moths had finished so when you entered the boatpark you would expect to see people packing up and others arriving the for the next event. I was there, the boatpark was'nt in chaos the 29ers and B14s were at the front and the remainder of the moths packing up at the back or waiting to sail later.

Organisation wise I feel WPNSA did the best possible job in a difficult situation. They had 100 boats all who had paid £200 to sail. Whilst maybe 40 of these could have sailed maybe 3 days out of the event the other 60 would'nt have coped. Thats just a characterisitc of the moth class, in the event the IMCA commitee consuilted the RO every morning, trying to make sure that eveyone would get as much sailing as possible. In the end they had to send everyone out because the primary aim was to get a world champion. They advised the less able sailors to stay ashore or just go and test their abilities/boats in the conditions.

If you are going to criticise WPNSA then feel free to have a go on the following valid points: crap event building (the single worst piece of architecture i have ever seen), stupid new harbour wall which makes launching unnecessarily hard, the general drab greyness of portland, the overpriced nature of everything at the academy from food to entry fees. Their race management on the otherhand is first class.

dougculnane

Whilst i am not in any way the biggest supporter of WPNSA your comments are totally unfair. You arrived on saturday, the day after the moths had finished so when you entered the boatpark you would expect to see people packing up and others arriving the for the next event. I was there, the boatpark was'nt in chaos the 29ers and B14s were at the front and the remainder of the moths packing up at the back or waiting to sail later. Organisation wise I feel WPNSA did the best possible job in a difficult situation. They had 100 boats all who had paid £200 to sail. Whilst maybe 40 of these could have sailed maybe 3 days out of the event the other 60 would'nt have coped. Thats just a characterisitc of the moth class, in the event the IMCA commitee consuilted the RO every morning, trying to make sure that eveyone would get as much sailing as possible. In the end they had to send everyone out because the primary aim was to get a world champion. They advised the less able sailors to stay ashore or just go and test their abilities/boats in the conditions.

If you are going to criticise WPNSA then feel free to have a go on the following valid points: crap event building (the single worst piece of architecture i have ever seen), stupid new harbour wall which makes launching unnecessarily hard, the general drab greyness of portland, the overpriced nature of everything at the academy from food to entry fees. Their race management on the otherhand is first class.
Totally agree with you ferrero.

It is easy to make good weather judgements after you know what the wheter was but predicting the weather for the next 4 hours is not easy. It was the IMCA and the WPNSA who together made the call. I am very frustrated that we could not sail on more days but I think they made the right and sensible calls.

Apparently you need the wall in certain conditions. As for archtecture... hard, grey, bleack... My wing bars and tramps are now trashed by the concreate.

Last edited by a moderator:

GybeSet

Super Anarchist
I came down with the B14s.We saw an odd creation today (sunday)

Like a slightly wider moth with a bigger rig ??? and a self tacking jib. Apparently it was underpowered but was foiling.

(Doug Lord i specifically deny you the right to comment on this post)
the elusve V
swastika.gif
? (volksfoiler)

-----------------------------------

go hanger !

of course an aussie world skiff champ can win in a * 'boat named after a bug' ? , no ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts