culture club

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
culture-club2.jpg

As the legendary boat builder Carl Eichenlaub used to say, the Buffalo Canoe Club is a funny place, it’s not Buffalo, and it doesn’t have any canoes. What it does have is a culture of nurturing talent that goes back generations.

This past weekend the BCC hosted their annual Lightning Youth Invitational Regatta. The purpose of the regatta is to give one last push the weekend before the Junior Lightning NA’s. The format is different than what is found in most youth events. The older teenagers typically compete with their normal crew, but the younger kids are allowed to have one adult on the boat, who can’t steer. This builds the fleet and allows for close competition while giving younger a great learning experience.

The regatta is organized and run by Lightning class Past President Debbie Probst, with on-the-water coaching by former North American and World Champ Larry MacDonald with other World and North American champions as crew. Really talented sailors like Adam MacDonald and Tanner Probst, who are now young adults that once participated in this regatta, step up to help perpetuate the tradition that helped elevate their game.

The equation is pretty simple, it’s just about accelerating competence through mentoring, which in turn tends to create lifelong relationships that sustain the club and the class. What unique things do your club or class do to create a culture of learning? Chime into the thread here.

Canada
Very cool. Applaud the spirit.

Is the purpose of having one adult on the younger boats so that there’s someone who’s voice has changed to yell “Starboard!”?

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
sweet pic

Yep, Lightnings are pretty boats.

Great intro for young sailors going into more complex boats too, I can imagine at least half the sailors in thei pic are looking at the array of control lines and saying to themselves (if not out loud) "fuck, what do all those lines do?"

inhiding

I would guess Peter Huston wrote this.

Doesn’t undo the hit piece on “Nimrod”, but is a nice thing.

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse
there never was one, but you have been a cunt since day one, and you're going bye-bye now, but we're sure you'll be back, eh jt sock puppet?
@Editor, plesae dointe sugare coatte it, telle thisse fuck whearre he standes..... hisse 'SA life' hangues on a cunte haire..... provided you licke the colloure.......... :)

Santanasailor

Charter Member. Scow Mafia
North Louisiana
I realize that I am a dumb southerner, so, would someone please explain to me how a really neat post about some very nice people sailing really pretty boats, using the opportunity to promote sailing to a group of young people, became an argument over the SA America's Cup fund?

(and Boy George....I am not even going there).

Latest posts