Damn Orcas

Turning off the engine & dumping ya holding tank, is an easy solution to unwelcome orca interest. The engine is probably the source of their annoyance/interest & the contents of your tank will drive them away, a peaceable non threatening answer to a possibly serious situation.

Turning off the engine & dumping ya holding tank, is an easy solution to unwelcome orca interest. The engine is probably the source of their annoyance/interest & the contents of your tank will drive them away, a peaceable non threatening answer to a possibly serious situation.

You aren't following this issue closely, are you? :)

huey 2

Super Anarchist
syd
More yachts arrive in Portregues Harbour as Orcas pick of Rudders

1668997328505.png

gkny

Many years ago, I was diving the blue hole in Belize while cruising there. We rented some tanks from a dive boat and did our dive. We dinghied back to the dive boat and there were a crowd of people swimming behind it and a dolphin among them. As soon as we showed up the dolphin kept bumping our dinghy. It stayed so close to the dinghy that I had to actually push it away with my foot to try to start the outboard. We eventually drifted back to our boat and hopped into the water from the dingy. As soon as we did this the dolphin swam upside down to the bottom of the dinghy and started to masturbate on the skeg of the outboard. It turns out it was Honey the dolphin who was famous for this. I guess the orcas could have learned other ways to entertain themselves.

huey 2

Super Anarchist
syd
After an afternoon trip of cleaning rudders up, the Orcas returned to gently play with the humans at the beach...
1669533132108.png

Last edited:

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada

The orcas have no damn respect - even Robin Knox-Johnston gets attacked.

On November 24 at 0835 GMT off the Spanish coast of Cape Finisterre (Lat 42 53.6N Long 009 30.3W), a pod of 7-10 Orcas surrounded my Farr 56 Sanjula and then began to barge into its rudder. This eventually broke a steering connecting rod.

The engine was switched off and the boat lay hove-to whilst the emergency steering was rigged. After ten minutes the Orcas moved away, no longer finding a hove-to yacht interesting … but that is only an assumption. The boat sailed to Vigo for repairs.

Latest posts