Dark Side of the Moon

mikewof

mikewof
64 views and no takers

How? By bringing up another Pink Floyd album? Maybe Animals? Stay up late and put Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking on the player at 4:30 am? Pink Floyd (and probably Marvin Gaye) invented the album as a complete thing, the rest just used the album as a bin that held a bunch of music.

It all centers around DSotM because that is the one that drew us in, showed us what an album could do.

Reactions: Mid

mikewof

mikewof
In what way did it change your life?

(Genuine question, I never listened to it.)
If someone could invent a drug that could allow us to forget completely certain albums, like that one, and then allow us to experience it fresh, it would be a huge seller. Could we be hypnotized to forget?

The first time I heard this Paul Haig's Warp of Pure Fun, I knew then that I wouldn't make the same mistake that I did with Pink Floyd, relistening to it four times a day for six years. So I hid the album at the bottom of the stack, I had hoped to forget about it, and experience it fresh every few years. Kinda worked too!

Or what about those people who dementia, can they put on say Led Zeppelins Houses of the Holy or Frankie Knuckles Beyond the Mix, and experience it each day like it was the first time? Kinda makes a person want to lose their memory.

hobot

Super Anarchist
How? By bringing up another Pink Floyd album? Maybe Animals? Stay up late and put Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking on the player at 4:30 am? Pink Floyd (and probably Marvin Gaye) invented the album as a complete thing, the rest just used the album as a bin that held a bunch of music.

It all centers around DSotM because that is the one that drew us in, showed us what an album could do.
Some of us use double albums (Frampton Comes Alive Comes to mind) to separate the wheat from the chaff

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
It wasn't even the best Pink Floyd album.

For that we have;

1657069175745.png

DSOTM was second best.

Chris in Santa Cruz CA

Super Anarchist
earths surface
no argument from me. I have a couple close contenders from my own personal taste, but ....

for one...

That’s a good album but still to this day if I had to pick one rock album it would be little feat waiting for Columbus. Very close second steely Dan Aja. Yellow brick road is up there then Beatles white album then abbey road. Who’s next. Tommy.

fufkin

Super Anarchist

A Bros Live At Filmore East is up there. For some reason Animals sends me into a very solid deep sleep...and for a while now Dark Side of The Mule or Dub Side of the Moon gets listened to more than the original.

I always loved the footage of the Abbey Road sessions in Live at Pompeii but here they are talking about how Meddle led them to the stage of writing and recording Dark Side.

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Best Album EVER , change my mind ...

Well, It was the first Album I ever owned so it does have nostalgia value, PF's work was so memorable and diverse it's hard to choose a favourite. I'm particularly fond of Piper.
But when one gets digging into the collection and pulls out such almost forgotten gems as

And one remembers there was more than one genre to get stoned too ..ah memories.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
You guys got nothin'

And before that

And for something completely different

And for something even more different than that

None of these albums really "changed my life" but they all carried a message of energy and hope and the knowledge that there are smart people out there doing it their own way, and that there is art to appreciate in many many places.

Oh and I liked DSOTM too, along with Meddle, Thick As A Brick, Children Of The Sun, Woodstock, and shitloads of other albums of the era, commercially successful or not.

Latest posts