So, I ran across a post from these guys who are trying to sail what looks like an old CSY 44 to the islands .... took an ass kicking on the way to Bermuda, and now are trying to make it to Coral Bay, St. John. Their post was an appeal to help them in their "mission".
Greetings from Bermuda!
We had quite a rough ride to get here. Two days hove to in 60 foot seas and a 50 knot gale. We had 2 knockdowns, tearing out almost all of our windows and flooding both the aft and main cabins, Sea water drenched the circuit panels and inverter. The main sail started ripping off the mast and Brian had to climb the mast in rough conditions to lace it to the mast and save our main sail. Brian also was thrown out of the cabin and nearly went over board, luckily being caught by the life lines.
Everything got drenched in sea water and we had to go into survival mode to prevent things from getting worse. Hypothermia was a major issue. We had to live in our foul wether gear and bundle up each night. Luckily we had plenty of food and water. we had to use our back up bilge pump to clear the bilge which took 6 hours instead of 20 min.
When we were freaking out, cold, soaked, and facing mountains of water higher than our mast, we thought about the lovely community we on our way to help, and all of the hell that you had been through. If the people of St John could survive winds of over 200mph then we could handle 50 plus!
We felt the love that inspired us to come, then hunkered down, and took care of business!
We got a clear weather window for Friday and made a run for bermuda to try and get ahead of another Gale, which we just did by sailing with the motor at 8.5 knots, getting drenched by spray very 10 min in 35 knot winds. luckily it was warm water by this point.
I'm sorry i didn't send a post earlier, we had been up for 36 hours racing a second storm to Bermuda , luckily this whole experience had gelled us as a crew and we did 3 hour shifts driving Songbird as fast as we could push her to get to safety, that, and we were sick of storms and it taking 30 min to make a cup of coffee. I give Jasper and Brian a lot of credit for coming through when it really counted. I have some video from my small flip phone i will send you all. Today is the first day we all feel normal, and are starting to reclaim our boat that got us here safely.
Hopefully when my phone comes out of the bag of rice its in it will work and i will be able to call
So as of Sunday we had the following:
1. damaged main sail
2. fried electrical panel which means we can't turn on the bilge pump
3. no ability to charge anything as the inverter is damaged
4. my phone got soaked even in a waterproof case so i cant call and don't have anyones number
5. my computer got thrown across the cabin and is having a lot of problems making emails difficult
6. the batteries don't seem to be charging from the solar panels
7. 80% of windows have been ripped out
8. our high water alarm doesn't work anymore
9. i couldn't charge Sat phone today as its charger got wet.
10. most of the extra fuel we brought has sea water in it.
11. our spot beacon got waterlogged and isn't working.
As of today (Wed at 1:46 pm) we have:
1. had main Sail repaired
2. got electrical panel dried and and working again
3. still haven't fixed inverter, but found an adapter to get us shore power from an extension cord running out of a cafe, at night we have to run our generator
4. installed new bilge pump and fixed backup which was clogged, but still cant get the water overboard.
5. computer is working again thanks to a new power cord brought by our electrician who we had to fly out.
6. got the batteries charging and found a short which had been draining them.
7.fixed and installed our windows.
8. got high water alarm working
9. sat phone is working again
10. filtered fuel and managed to save 35 our of 50 gallons, though someone stole one of our tanks while we were sleeping (who does that?)
11. spot beacon still not working, comes out of rice tomorrow
12. We are almost done cleaning up the disaster area that has been the inside of songbird. We spent over $100 doing laundry alone.
At this point we only have a couple hundred out of the $3000 we had saved for the trip, we till have to provision, refuel, take on water, and pay our dock fees.
We have been working on a kickstarter campaign to raise $ so we can get there by Xmass, but I'm worried that the timing won't let us get the funding in time, we need to be underway Friday am.
So I'm asking for help, we desperately need at least $1500 to $2000 to get out of here and complete our mission. we already have a website which can take pay pal (www.tivolisailing.com) or i can do payments via square over the phone ( i have our electricians phone till friday am (845 594 2087).
My mother made a donate link to make it simple. you are able to enter any $ amount.
If everyone donates $20 we should be fine.
And if you cant donate $, please share this and post on your page.
We wouldn't ask for help if we didn't really need it, and we really need it. So if anyone can help or has any brilliant ideas let me know.
We need to leave by Friday to catch the easterlies to bring us safely to St John.
PLEASE HELP US IF YOU CAN!
And thank you all for all of the positive comments!
We cant wait to blow the conch horn when we get there, hopefully by Xmass!!
Thank you all
Go team songbird!