Daysailer for old people

weightless

Super Anarchist
This also implies it's underpowered for light airs.
Depends on what you're looking for, but they're pleasant to drift around on. You sit so close to the water that it feels like things are happening. Aux power is a quandary. Bull City's setup might work. I'd have the folks sit in the boat to make sure the seats work for them. The Cape Cod Bull's Eye is very nicely done but a little more clearly FRP than some of the other versions. FWIW, my great aunt sailed one into her 90's.

Last edited by a moderator:

weightless

Super Anarchist
If you take the battery off of a little Torqeedo or similar it's easy to move around and stows in a compact space. If it stowed under the side deck and the battery was on a extension cord so it could stay put when in use then swinging the motor onto a side mount might be easy enough.

socalrider

Super Anarchist
San Diego CA
If you take the battery off of a little Torqeedo or similar it's easy to move around and stows in a compact space. If it stowed under the side deck and the battery was on a extension cord so it could stay put when in use then swinging the motor onto a side mount might be easy enough.
Yeah, that seems to be how the Stuart Knockabout system is designed.  Clever!

image.png

Well, then the cold-molded alerion might be back in the running. Toss the engine, use a torqeedo 
Yeah - I wonder if it'd end up being cheaper in the end though - prop shaft is already there, and you don't need much battery.  I'd be inclined to retrofit, but would certainly look into both options.

shavdog

Minnesota
Heres two....that I have owned and sold....Cape Dory Typhoon and Cape Dory 22....the 22 would have more room....down below cabin and you don't get wet when a wave breaks over the bow....just say'n

IMG_1545.JPG

IMG_0631.JPG

Bull City

Bull City
North Carolina
On the Knockabout page they describe their aux motor solution - a side mounted Torqueedo.  

https://www.stuartknockaboutllc.com/motors.html

I could certainly rig something similar up for the Bull's Eye with the $71,100 left over from the purchase.
As an older sailor using an OB (Torqeedo), I would be leery of the side mount idea.

Unless I'm wrong, it means you must remove the OB and bracket before you start to sail. This could be a pain-in-the-ass, especially if it's a choppy day. Also, if you get into a situation where you want power in a hurry, remounting the OB would take a bit of time. 

I mount my Torqeedo at the dock, and remove it when I get back. The only time I have to touch it while underway is to tilt it up or down. 

socalrider

Super Anarchist
San Diego CA

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
The Stuart Knockabout seems to have an electric inboard option on their website. I'm sure it's Cha-chinggggg$$$  but would be a pretty sweet solution.

Beanie 101

UK
I have a UK-made Swallow Yachts BayRaider 20, which is a water-ballasted yawl-rigged open daysailer.  There is also a version with a lid, the BayRaider Expedition.  It can be sailed, rowed and propelled by an outboard (electric in my case).  It has won many prizes in the Sail Caledonia sail & oar raid across Scotland’s Great Glen (which includes Loch Ness) and has won the raid outright, even with me as skipper.  Flexible, fast (without water ballast) and very stable (with water ballast), I’ve had mine for ten years now and still think it’s great.  

I usually sail solo and also launch from its trailer and retrieve by myself.  Because it is light with the ballast tank empty, it can be trailed long distances behind quite small cars - I’ve taken it to Greece from the UK several times.  I’ve added a plank bowsprit to mine to fly a code zero or flying jib when I want a few more strings to play with - photo below.  

There are now quite a few BR20’s in the US, mostly with fathead Bermudian mainsails.  Mine is a more traditional gunter-rigged version.

4B2EC11F-6148-4D58-A227-7A1FE05221E3.jpeg

Beanie 101

UK
Here are a few more photos of my BayRaider in action, in Greece, Wales and Scotland.  I’m 65 and not quite as agile as I was when I bought the boat new in 2010 but I still find her easy to handle.

56877CB2-D2B3-4443-BD33-E6A120DFC2D1.jpeg

8DCD4F5A-C095-4A24-BB47-65EBBD02CA8B.jpeg

FC145DF0-4CE4-46A2-9DC5-61C8E498DF03.jpeg

1A855AFC-E741-4ED3-A72B-028DEBE11EED.jpeg

Beanie 101

UK
One more photo and then I’ll desist.  This shows a SeaRaider sandwiched between two GRP BayRaiders as they ghost along the shores of Loch Lochy during the Sail Caledonia raid all the way back in 2012.  The SeaRaider was the precursor of the BayRaider and was a no-compromise out-and-out sail & oar raid boat, water ballasted like the BayRaider, made of lightweight epoxy ply and with no creature comforts.  Only two were ever made.  I’ve raced in her as crew and she goes like stink but needs expert handling.

The BayRaider was developed from the SeaRaider as a more comfortable, broader beamed dayboat with a smaller sail area.  With a sprayhood and cockpit tent you can actually sleep on her, as I have done on numerous trips.  There’s nowhere to sleep on the SeaRaider and hardly anywhere to sit either.

876468DD-F9B8-405D-BF80-2216D8CDA958.jpeg

chester

Super Anarchist
One more photo and then I’ll desist.  This shows a SeaRaider sandwiched between two GRP BayRaiders as they ghost along the shores of Loch Lochy during the Sail Caledonia raid all the way back in 2012.  The SeaRaider was the precursor of the BayRaider and was a no-compromise out-and-out sail & oar raid boat, water ballasted like the BayRaider, made of lightweight epoxy ply and with no creature comforts.  Only two were ever made.  I’ve raced in her as crew and she goes like stink but needs expert handling.

The BayRaider was developed from the SeaRaider as a more comfortable, broader beamed dayboat with a smaller sail area.  With a sprayhood and cockpit tent you can actually sleep on her, as I have done on numerous trips.  There’s nowhere to sleep on the SeaRaider and hardly anywhere to sit either.

View attachment 398566
don't desist!

But Loch Lochy?  Com'on...that's funny.

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
Swallow Boats is a wonderful company.  I've wanted a Storm 17 for a long time...great sail and oar boat,but try to find one over here.  There was a Swallow Boats Bay Raider in Santa Barbara, last time I was down there.