Dazcat puts out cool vids

patmo141

Eastern NC
I'm a couch/internet fan of Dazcats.  I've never been on one, never seen one in person, will likely never have the means to own one, and truly have zero actual information about them.  But I sure do enjoy their videos.  I like that a lot of the promo/marketing vids they put out show some real sailing in addition to the standard walkthroughs or perfect aerial shots of gentle sailing. This vid is super cool because it shows some actual PoV racing and letting the project manager skipper the boat for a race.  The second one shows them giving it hell!

boardhead

Anarchist
Those are some really sweet cats getting put through their paces. Dazcat has come a long way and offshore sailing performance has always been a focus, looks like they  nailed it!

We sailed multihulls out of the Yealm back in the early '70s so that backdrop brings back some memories. Saw a lot of game changing boats beating out of Plymouth Sound in OSTAR's, TWOSTAR's and RBR's.

Thanks for posting patmo.

They are even better to sail than to watch.....

There were 4 of us out yesterday in Plymouth in an informal come back to sailing "chase" all 2 handed with about 35 monos. The very first Dazcat D1 with Mr Daz himself and Brendan who is the video from the OP, Hissy Fit D1495 with Simon Baker who is the other half of the Dazcat business, us on Bare Necessities D 1150 and Julian on Easy Tiger D1050 ( or something like that -)   and best not forget Will on his farrier F9 as that would be rude..

It was 20 knots lumpy SW swell and great fun and just been sent some drone footage but not sue how to move it from Whats App....  more later?

patmo141

Eastern NC
more later?
Yes please. 

"They are even better to sail than to watch....."

Until I get a chance to actually sail on something like this, the vids will have to do.  Also don't mistake this for a pity party, I scratch the itch fine with daysailing.  It's just good to have aspirations.

And hot of the press with some I was going to say ebay bloggers on board but I think that is wrong.... Patron people You tubers  you all know what I mean  - but shot very recently as there are still not many boats out and the sun is still shining in Plymouth.... so live for your entertainment as they say  Simon and Daz are demonstrating and Matt and Jessica from MJ sailing are living the dream. 

Shu

Super Anarchist
I watched the MJ sailing video. At one point, the woman comments on how nice the boat "feels" as she steers it. I don't think I've ever seen a comment like that on any of these couple patreon, SV Lazy Deless, fund my early retirement vlogs. Apparently, she can actually feel the boat sailing underneath her. I suspect the rest of them haven't a clue what she is talking about.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
13m Dazcat - $630K USD.  I thought that was costly until I saw that it was similar to the list price for a Lagoon 42. It was pretty similar. 

13m Dazcat - $630K USD.  I thought that was costly until I saw that it was similar to the list price for a Lagoon 42. It was pretty similar. 
Apples to bananas thought. One is built for actually sailing, the other is a spacious floating condo.

Better to compare to a TS42 or other performance multihull.

Either way its about $629k more dollars than I have so...

randii

Sacramento area
Thanks for the MJ sailing link. Interesting to look around inside and see how much functional space they achieved with the bridgedeck conversion on the older open-deck hulls. I'd love to know weight before and after. From the video this looks like a decent compromise inside, with standing room down, good sitting space centered, and ducked-down clearance across inside the back wall of the bridgedeck, still allowing good visibility forward from the cockpit. Making all those vertical dimensions work and still looking good from the outside is a real challenge under 10m. 

The zip-door for the head is a cool compromise for privacy and weight... as are the slide out rear windows. I'd be a little nervous about taking heavy following seas, but it really opens the cabin up nicely. Compromises.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Yeah it's a nice 33' cat - but no way I could live on it. I need standing headroom when crossing from one hull to another!

The aft berths are too narrow for most, even friendly couples. The zip up door is light but not very practical IMO. Our head door was carbon/nomex and maybe weighed 2 lbs? Much faster to swing it shut than zip.

I don't think many cruising catamarans ever take waves into the cockpit. If they do it's a major, major storm. The cockpit is a couple feet above the water, and also at least 3 or 5' forward of the sterns.

randii

Sacramento area
Well, you *do* have some experience adding room to a cat. :p  You had about 10' more in overall length to work with, right?

Agreed that this Daz isn't really meant to be a live-aboard boat. I don't think that's her intention, as lightly as she's kitted out. I wonder how much remaining load capacity she actually has with the bridgedeck weight added? I have similarly 'spacious' berths in my Tennant, and there's just no way you're getting two reasonable-sized people in the stern berths OR V-berths without a hammock and possible inadvertent insemination. 

Bridgedeck headroom is about the only time I've ever wished I was shorter in this life. I think Daz did a pretty job balancing the bubble of the bridgedeck -- much more headroom inside and the bridgedeck would look overly swollen, IMHO. It is so much easier to keep a boat looking proportional over longer lengths. More length is better for proportionality, but adds weight and slip/maintenance cost.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Yes our boat started out much the same as the Dazcat; a fast bridgedeck cat and we did have more room to work. However her lowish hulls did make the cabin I added somethwhat boxy looking. I'm 6'1" and I wanted 6'2" as I stepped down into the hulls. I hated the older Catanas that had a head bonking issue there.

Richard Woods came to look at the boat when the cabin was under construction. One of his comments was "did you have to make the cabin so tall?". Richard is about 5'-7" or so... 

I think the old F-P Antigua 37 did it well with a raised portion just at the aft end of the cabin.Though I think that was mostly to get more room down into the hulls and only a few extra inches on centerline.

image.png

randii

Sacramento area
Awfully hard to get an easy step-down into the hulls AND not look boxy. I think soft ceiling finishes and hard heads may be a tolerable compromise.  :eek:

Richard Woods has penned some interesting cuddies for smaller boats, displacing the 'hallway' outside into the cockpit/patio and allowing more square feet of short-headroom living area inside. This seems a reasonable trade-off for mild weather and weekend-ing, but has obvious limitations for heavy weather and long-term cruising. Different horses for different courses, I guess.

I like the general curves of the Antigua 37 hulls and hardtop dodger but that bridge deck just a little too Stormtrooper-helmet for my present tastes. You'd just have to have standing headroom with the galley up like that. That said, I could probably get used to living in a dome-home like that... it certainly fits in with my hairline these days.  :p