DC Designs

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
On 6/15/2020 at 6:08 AM, Willy Clark said:

Fresh content: 

We also spent a lot of time this weekend discussing the merits/pitfalls of larger vs. smaller dagger boards. Much of the conversation revolves around the ability to "go slow fast." That is, when one is lit up like below, the standard Clark dagger boards likely offer far too much side force and results in one consistently having to dump leech to keep boat flat and moving fast. This is solved by aggressively reefing the board in anything more 7-8 knots. So, why not just make a smaller board? Well, there are those critical moments where the extra amount of side force really saves you - trying to hold your lane at the start. Trying desperately to barely make the windward mark that you under stood. Trying not to stall out after a rather bad light air tack. These are the times when the large board pays for itself.

That said, the times when you find yourself going upwind in decent breeze without the board reefed enough does hurt you. It can begin to feel like the boat is being knocked over in the puffs rather than shooting forward like it should.

Consequently believe the plan is for Mike to go with a smaller board this "season" while I stick with the old model. We'll see what happens.

Hence the continued re-invention of gybing-boards.

ICU2

Australia
After not being able to get on here because I forgot my password and the reset email wasn't being sent to me, the link finally came through :)..

Here is my latest ride, so far sails nice however I've not been able to sail against another boat (any boat) because of COVID lock down / restrictions. Really looking forward to sailing with another boat one day soon especially an IC.

Elevation 6.jpg

Chris Maas

After not being able to get on here because I forgot my password and the reset email wasn't being sent to me, the link finally came through :)..

Here is my latest ride, so far sails nice however I've not been able to sail against another boat (any boat) because of COVID lock down / restrictions. Really looking forward to sailing with another boat one day soon especially an IC.

View attachment 386000
Nice! Got any more pictures?

ICU2

Australia
I usually ease into the new boat trials. Not you! Anything break?
I went out in 10-12 knots it built up gradually while I was out the was a bit on at times. I was having too much fun it was when I got back home and looked at the weather station on the lake it was 20-23 gusting 27 I thought yep that's why I was holding on extra tight on some of the reaches. Touch wood so far so good nothing broken. My first sail was in only around 5 knots.

I'm using the plank and carriage we built for the 2014 Worlds boom, mast and foils are off my Nethercott from 2008 that I also used on my lat two new rule boats, its really only the hull that had to be tested.

Alan Crawford

Super Anarchist
Bozeman, Montana
For those who use Facebook, there's a cool site about wooden Finns, aptly called "wooden Finns". There was a recent posting of a picture of several Finns sailing in 1951 including the boat of Rickard Sarby (Finn designer and canoe designer / sailer). Within the comments on this picture is an interesting sub-discussion about Sarby's Swedish club Uppsala Kanot Förening and mention of early canoes.

Alan Crawford

Super Anarchist
Bozeman, Montana
Need to bump this thread as Canoe sailing is starting in the Northern hemisphere.

From the Finn sailing thread, @Rasputin22posted an old article about Henry Sprague. The article is reposted here as the last paragraph has a good description of IC sailing! First then entire article and then the last paragraph enlarged.

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 4.14.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 4.15.31 PM.png

SEZED

Canberra
Hi All, looking for some advice on booms. We have a few new builds happening and most things are sorted, booms are not yet. Most booms I’ve come across seem to be something that was laying around or from another class that works well. Eg, my nethercott boom is a standard alloy tube (1.9kg fitted out x 1.9m long) my older new rules has a home built folded square section carbon boom (1.5kg x 1.9m long).

so the advice I am after - for the new booms, if you had the option of getting whatever you want, what sort of profile and weight would you go for. I am thinking  round section ID70mm, 2.0,2.3 or 2.5mm thick standard modulus carbon tube, should be about 1.3-1.5kg. Another option is a 75mm x 35mm elliptical section 1.7mm thick I don’t know the overall weight (probably 1-1.4kg)but I’m wondering this profile at 1.7mm would be strong enough.

I’m after something that will be bomb proof for the life of the boats, easily achieved with increasing the weight/thickness of carbon in the tube with minimal impact to overall weight - like a few hundred grams... 

am I overthinking this? Is lighter ok? What would you do?

thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator: