Dead Guy Sailing-sailing with cancer

armac

I have metastisized kidney cancer, recently found, and am in my first round of "targeted therapy". As much as this sucks, I'm determined to keep my sailing projects going. What I'm looking for is Anarchists who may be in similar straits, and your methods of coping. What are your sailing "bucket lists" and are you getting them done before you're done?

Since I'm posting this in SA, and have kind of a twisted sense of humor, any gallows humors is welcome. I'm not interested in goopy sympathy, or how (insert religion or belief here) can help me. I am interested in remission, but since the physical form of that isn't guaranteed, am in the process of "remissioning" my life, and sailing will be a large part of that.

Thanks in advance.

Don't plan, do.

Rob

MR.CLEAN

Not here
That's fucked up, and am always sorry as hell to hear of another Anarchist in health trouble, but I sure like your attitude. Best of luck and if there is anything we can do, let us know. Actually, I'll put this up on the front page and see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse
Poesting picts of breastes a verrey healthey practise. Increses antioxdontes in poester and vieweres.

smackdaddy

Super Anarchist
SmackDab, Middle
BVI is on our bucket list. My boys and I lost my wife/their mom in a car accident last year. I'm "remissioning" too. We plan on getting down there over the next couple of summers in our new-to-us boat.

Go have fun arm. Sail the hell out of what's left. That's what we're doing.

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
I had a large tumor. During the period where we did not know if it had metastisized, I just kept busy to cope.

Just sail. Sail as often and as long as you can. Hopefully your boat doesn't require a lot of work, so you can just focus on sailing.

And sex. If you've got a significant other, pork their livin' brains out, whenever you're not sailing. ;)

"Knock the bottom outta that thang"

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
I had a large tumor. During the period where we did not know if it had metastisized, I just kept busy to cope.

Just sail. Sail as often and as long as you can. Hopefully your boat doesn't require a lot of work, so you can just focus on sailing.

And sex. If you've got a significant other, pork their livin' brains out, whenever you're not sailing. ;)

"Knock the bottom outta that thang"

Tucky

Super Anarchist
Maine
I struggle to remission my life, meaning to make sure I spend as much time as possible doing things I love with people I love. I'm sorry your wake up call to this mission was so blunt, and wish you the best. I think Maine is worth coming to to sail no matter where in the world you are, and you are close. Come on up next summer- I'd love to take you sailing.

Hey Rob,

Gallows humor is the best. I had cancer several years ago, met my wife racing while on chemo and completely bald...everywhere, and we are still married. It's all about frame of mind and attitude. Keep having fun and don't let bad days get in the way. I didn't stop partying or sailing or anything. I think rum kills more cancer than chemo!!! Don't worry about a bucket list! Just go do what makes you feel good and stick with the friends that make you laugh and you'll make it. Oh, and sex every day....not by yourself...

personal racing list: transpac (#1 by a longshot), hobart, big boat series, fastnet. Im not sure how much progress im making towards them (between other regattas and now work), but, someday...

Good luck, and whatever you sail, sail the hell out of it.

armac

Awesome response, makes my day.

Tucky- I want to come your way and do the Race Rocks next fall. Boat should be done by then.

Eveyone else-watch out for the fucker with the hood and scythe, he often sends out a lovely fallen angel with a baseball bat, just to get your attention......

arr4ws

Super Anarchist
mine would be to do a race week with my father/brother/sister whatever the race week is.

i have key west targeted one day.

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
Good attitude Armac. I have had my share of 'little' inconveniences. 2 heart attacks, lung surgery, 2 new knees, PTSD, among other things. Can't do anything on a boat but sit. That's ok, I can be on a boat! I love black humor, the darker the better. So Mrs. Kennedy, other than that how did you like Dallas? My daughter told me when she was about 7 or 8 years old, "Don't worry daddy, when life gives you watermelons, make lemonade!" I still think about that years later when I get a little down. I'm still makin' lemonade!

SailerJerry

Muskegon
Bucket list items for me:

Sail the Chicago-Mac race: Done

Swim across the Mackinaw Straights: Too old for that now.

Sail a race through Eggemoggin reach (Maine)

Sail in the Sydney-Hobart race

Scuba dive Truk Lagoon

Sleep with Sandra Bullock

I have others, but they are not really sailing related.

Are you interested in playing the "dead man sailing" pity card? I bet you could get some sweet rides in some nice regattas. The Heineken Regatta in St. Maarten comes to mind. Charleston Race Week is coming up in the US. Or Figawi Race Weekend a bit closer to NY.

- Jasen.