Deal!

Who cares? Its all whats if's and speculation. If JC rules for 2008, I would presume Ernesto will look pretty stupid for trying to make a deal when he had no say of the timeframe.....

idontwan2know

Super Anarchist
Rather silly decision by Valencia if they agree to this.

Won't come close to paying for itself, and Oracle certainly isn't going to take $50 million paid to Alinghi out of the amount they expect for AC34 if they win.

Stingray

Super Anarchist
PNW
Won't come close to paying for itself, and Oracle certainly isn't going to take $50 million paid to Alinghi out of the amount they expect for AC34 if they win.
I wonder how the actual numbers break down?

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA
And that is one possible scenario that allows BMWO to back out of a committment to Valencia and save face. :lol:

One thing I haven't read, but might have been mentioned, is the limitations having a DoG match in Valencia would put on boat design. Now the DoG tri's will be both long and wide correct? And the canal from the Base Marina to the ocean is pre-determined correct? I don't know the dimensions of the canal presently, but if EB successfully wins in court, and has a DoG match in Valencia in 2009, will the limitations of the port work to his favor? Or will BMWO store their boat elsewhere?

Just thinking out loud I suppose. Watch out of escaping brain waves. :p

WetHog :ph34r:

PeterHuston

Super Anarchist
So what do we know about who the source of this information is?

Anything?

Unless and until someone in governmental authority says, on their letterhead, "here's the deal we and Ernesto have agreed to", this is all just a waste of bandwidth.

I'd expect no reply from GGYC at all. What do they have to gain by commenting?

Boybland

Super Anarchist
Morioka, Japan
And that is one possible scenario that allows BMWO to back out of a committment to Valencia and save face. :lol: One thing I haven't read, but might have been mentioned, is the limitations having a DoG match in Valencia would put on boat design. Now the DoG tri's will be both long and wide correct? And the canal from the Base Marina to the ocean is pre-determined correct? I don't know the dimensions of the canal presently, but if EB successfully wins in court, and has a DoG match in Valencia in 2009, will the limitations of the port work to his favor? Or will BMWO store their boat elsewhere?

Just thinking out loud I suppose. Watch out of escaping brain waves. :p

Canal looks to be around 80+ metres (over 200 feet) wide on google maps so plenty big enough.

AWASP

Super Anarchist
Somewhere
EB merely trying to look productive for the Court and concidering there is no real confirmation therefore is all crap

Stingray

Super Anarchist
PNW
EB merely trying to look productive for the Court and concidering there is no real confirmation therefore is all crap
Maybe he's trying to set something up he thinks Larry would find appealing? ie: A big DoG event, arranged and paid for, in Valencia, but in 2009? With a roadmap of events leading to a multi-chall 2011?

I still think he's going to try work a deal next. And if he can get agreement then the court date won't matter, since it will be mutual consent. Could be that more things would follow - event rules, TV rights, whatever. Would save them a lot of litigation, probably.

Last edited by a moderator:

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA
Canal looks to be around 80+ metres (over 200 feet) wide on google maps so plenty big enough.
Darn. I was hoping it wasn't that wide and EB was trying to turn the tables on BMWO. Oh well.

I bet, if the DoG match is in Valencia, that it will be interesting during tow out/in with a mess of spectator boats.

I still think he's going to try work a deal next. And if he can get agreement then the court date won't matter, since it will be mutual consent. Could be that more things would follow - event rules, TV rights, whatever. Would save them a lot of litigation, probably.
It would be nice if cooler head prevailed in this case and Uncle Larry and EB can bee bosum buddies again. But something tells me RC is very much bitter about being locked out of AC32. Revenge of the Coutts right? ;)

Stingray

Super Anarchist
PNW
It would be nice if cooler head prevailed in this case and Uncle Larry and EB can bee bosum buddies again. But something tells me RC is very much bitter about being locked out of AC32. Revenge of the Coutts right? ;)
Whatever the motivation the goal is surely to wrest the Cup away. They appear to have an advantage now, so if that goal remains then they won't give that up easily.

Another thought about what EB may be trying to set up: If he can also get it agreed that other Challengers can go up against the RC DoG, for the right to take on the Alinghi DoG, then he's also absolved of the TNZ legal problem. TNZ is kinda screwed in that scenario. They probably can't afford to try it, and yet they'd have the right to show with anything they could bring, even an AC90 if that's what the mystery contract stipulated, and so.... No case left, maybe.

They have pushed the 'sportsmanship' angle quite hard since the start. Could be that's what they think will appeal to Larry. Maybe with a promise of an AC32-like Protocol for AC34 too, to assuage his worries about unfair ErnieRules Forever. Oracle could then even push for 2010 instead of 2011, you'd think, to sweeten the deal for everyone else too.

It could get interesting. Or it could just come down to....

WaterMonster.jpg

:)

PeterHuston

Super Anarchist
I highly doubt that Russell is driven by revenger.

His being put on ice for the last Cup actually worked out pretty well for him - he was paid to not race, he got the chance to set up the RC 44 series, and the WSL was initiated, so he spent some time in the world of big multihulls. Which is ironically, now exactly where the AC is headed.

If anyone in this equation is driven by bitterness, revenge, and fear it is Ernesto.

It's funny that in the VS version of the article, you get the sense that he's trying lay off alot of sponsorship acquisition responsibility on the City of Valencia. Gee, could that be because Ernesto and ACM are now seen as pariah's in the global sponsorship arena? Oh....forgot...does ACM even exist any longer?

Ernesto is become just sadly pathetic - as if the America's Cup is about economic responsibility. Never was, probably never will be. Just because it is a nice idea doesn't mean it ever will be so.

And....if you were a shareholder of UBS, or large depositor, and you were reading that the richest guy in Switzerland is out playing with this boats, and trying to make some cocked up deal for what is chump change to a guy of the presumed wealth of Bertarelli, don't you think you'd want to know why it is that he's not spending his time trying to help UBS sort out a $37 billion problem. Let's see....mmmm...uh...$37 Billion in losses v. a sailboat race deal for $50 million in '09.

Does anyone really think a guy like Larry Ellison is going to buy this twisted logic after all the crap that Ernesto has made him go through? Does anyone really think Larry is ever going to trust this guy again? Would you?

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA
Enough of the bullshit. Why can't these fools work things out like Gentleman? Sportsmanship has been brought up, but does it exsist anymore? Looking at the way AC32 ended, with ETNZ not apart of the winning press conference, an argument can be made that sporstmanship is long since dead. I like to think it is alive and well and this whole shitfight is a grand scheme cooked up by Uncle Larry/RC/TE and EB to really fix the AC.

How it will be fixed I have no idea, but I suppose I am just naive, but I can't believe the two sides in this shit fight can be this petty. Especially with all the dependents involved with the AC teams. Yes I know I've said those people should of known better than to hitch their horse to this crazy thing called the America's Cup, but deep down inside I believe two wealthy buisnessman would know better.

Lord knows I should know better....

Hastings

Super Anarchist
One thing I haven't read, but might have been mentioned, is the limitations having a DoG match in Valencia would put on boat design. Now the DoG tri's will be both long and wide correct? And the canal from the Base Marina to the ocean is pre-determined correct? WetHog :ph34r:

The canal is wide enough and cranes can launch and retrieve Dog-Monsters from the two bases.

But where the canal turns the last corner before going out to sea might be interesting.

But, in my view, Valencia is the place for this.

It will be good.

hhn92

Super Anarchist
Tampa Bay Fla
Its just a cocky rich bully-inaire trying to pr his way into looking like he is in control when he is not.

If somehow he retains the Cup, he'll look like a genius.

Stingray

Super Anarchist
PNW
I highly doubt that Russell is driven by revenger.
His being put on ice for the last Cup actually worked out pretty well for him - he was paid to not race, he got the chance to set up the RC 44 series, and the WSL was initiated, so he spent some time in the world of big multihulls. Which is ironically, now exactly where the AC is headed.

If anyone in this equation is driven by bitterness, revenge, and fear it is Ernesto.

It's funny that in the VS version of the article, you get the sense that he's trying lay off alot of sponsorship acquisition responsibility on the City of Valencia. Gee, could that be because Ernesto and ACM are now seen as pariah's in the global sponsorship arena? Oh....forgot...does ACM even exist any longer?

Ernesto is become just sadly pathetic - as if the America's Cup is about economic responsibility. Never was, probably never will be. Just because it is a nice idea doesn't mean it ever will be so.

And....if you were a shareholder of UBS, or large depositor, and you were reading that the richest guy in Switzerland is out playing with this boats, and trying to make some cocked up deal for what is chump change to a guy of the presumed wealth of Bertarelli, don't you think you'd want to know why it is that he's not spending his time trying to help UBS sort out a $37 billion problem. Let's see....mmmm...uh...$37 Billion in losses v. a sailboat race deal for $50 million in '09.

Does anyone really think a guy like Larry Ellison is going to buy this twisted logic after all the crap that Ernesto has made him go through? Does anyone really think Larry is ever going to trust this guy again? Would you?
Agreed - He does seem to be trying to separate himself from running the commercial side. And the Las Prov article is full of bitching about money, it's first and foremost in his mind. Cost-cutting aas in the Protocol too, and it's the thrust of the whole ErnieVision. Turn the AC into another sailing event, basically. Maybe he sees that the waters got polluted, and it's time for someone with better relationships to take it on? He couldn't even 'sell' the Protocol, how would he sell a Louis Vuitton sized contract? Nobody came knocking in July, or since. They left. Perhaps he's giving up on it for now, facing Larry.

And... No. The Hammer was built 'just in case' but it was definitely built for a reason.

Latest posts