Dean Barker's Future

Interested to get the flavor from the SA community on Dean Barker's future: Dean Barker has been aro

• Total voters

Varan

Super Anarchist
Agreed. Apparent wind sailing is not a game for middle-aged, or older folks. 
Poland’s Karol Jablonski and other older sailors do just fine at apparent wind sailing, and at faster speeds than these AC blokes.

By age alone yes. Jimmy and Ben are in the same age range...... 

New blood. 
But even when Barker was in the same age bracket you cant compare him to Jimmy and Ben.....different mental toughness. All the successful AC Helmsman have it, sadly Barker doesn't seem too! I was surprised when the AM team decided to go with Barker.....I would have thought Nathan Outteridge would have been a far better choice!

LB 15.1

Sanxenxo
While there are fools willing to buy into the "Barker delusion" he will keep taking the money.

Outeridge would sail rings around Barker... But Barker's got Hutches ear.

Every team that has employed Barker has regretted it.

His future....   The same as the past..  

Varan

Super Anarchist
So what's he been doing for the last decade? 
For example, in the DN class...

DN Class Ice SailingEdit

World ChampionshipsEdit

Year

Medal

Regatta Site

Gold

ArsundaSweden

Silver

Lake GenevaSwitzerland

Silver

NieporętPoland

Gold

MontrealCanada

Gold

ViennaAustria

Gold

Lake St. ClairUnited States

Gold

Lake HjalmarenSweden

Gold

Saginaw BayUnited States

Silver

HaapsaluEstonia

Gold

Lake ChamplainUnited States

Silver

Lake BalatonHungary

Gold[1]

HaapsaluEstonia

Gold[2]

Lake OntarioCanada

Gold[3]

Lake GlanSweden

Gold[4]

Lake Kegonsa, United States

Gold[5]

Lake Wielimie, Poland

Sugarscoop

From what I have seen, 

Dean is the only one who applies match racing tactics when the boats are close. We have seen all the other skippers with more fleet racing pedigree split when infront and not defend their position and rather go to boundary and chase wind shifts. 

All good when you are a fair way in front but if its close, Dean is the only one who will tack and defend his position. This is how they beat ETNZ

eurochild

Auckland
For those like myself who are scratching their heads about ages...

DB is 47

Ainslie 43

Spithill 41

I reckon if he wins the Prada this time he'd be odds on to get a gig in a small fleet (like this one) next time. Depending on the participants.

If it's a larger fleet (e.g. more participants in a more established AC75 class) he'd likely have options in any event. No-one besides Spithill has as much experience test piloting the post-2007 era of AC boats, and he's been to 3 finals (+ 2000). It's like football managers, experience gets hired.

southseasbill

Super Anarchist
thetruth said:
What about being 30 seconds late for the start of that match race? Forget that bit numpty?
According to TH, they had a jib issue and had to change it. Made them late for the start.

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
Even if he won the whole thing, I dont think he drives next time round because he will doubtless want to retire