Deano's 2nd last jibe

hugob

First thing,

Thanks to our Irish buddy for providing the goods.

The last race was disapointing to say the least. Sorry Swiss lovers, I would love to see the next one in the Southern hemisphere. Australia and NZ should merge currencies and build a super unbeatable mob.

I was wondering what you would have done on the last downhill run on Saturday, your bow up the date of Brad Buterworth. Jibe away or hang around and try and get past.

I was surprised Deano decided to jibe away and come back to the line on STB when he was so close to the alingi. maybe he thought more pressure left and heat up to the line.

So close so far away.

Food for thought

cop ya later

Innocent Bystander

Super Anarchist
Lower Southern MD
Given that Alinghi was opening distance, TNZ was not going to pass on Stbd jibe and not going to get into a position to attack from windward. 2 choices left - follow Alinghi out to the layline or jibe away and come back at them on stbd. Going for separation to the right side of the course worked to get them closed up to begin with.

Not a lot of good choices. From that position, you're not going to roll Alinghi to windward and you're not going to pass to leeward (althought getting a leeward overlap puts you in control of when the jibe happens). About the only option other than what Deano did was to stay in place and try to push Alinghi past the PT layline and then jibe first and defend all the way to the finish. That's a very low percentage choice.

IB

Steve Clark

Super Anarchist
More surprising, I thought was the move to cross their transom and take their weather hip.

If they stayed to leeward, they had Alinghi trapped until they chose (ETNZ) chose to gybe.

Even if you had to sail less than optimal angle, Alinghi wasn't going to get the separation necessary for a clean gybe and cross.

Once on Port, Alinghi either has to sail in and through your crap, or has to wind check you.

I would have thought this was a better % shot than gybing back and hoping more pressure would win the day.

SHC

Last edited by a moderator:
More surprising, I thought was the move to cross their transom and take their weather hip.If they stayed to leeward, they had Alinghi trapped until they chose (ETNZ) chose to gybe.

Even if you had to sail less than optimal angle, Alinghi wasn't going to get the separation necessary for a clean gybe and cross.

Once on Port, Alinghi either has to sail in and through your crap, or has to wind check you.

I would have thought this was a better % shot than gybing back and hoping more pressure would win the day.

SHC
Seems like they were counting on another slow gybe from Alinghi so they could come back at them on starboard but it appears they separated into less pressure and lost a TON. Any comments at the press conference about it?

gusmus

Super Anarchist
ETNZ could have stuck, gybed. or started a luffing match, but they still wouldn't have passed Alinghi at that point. Alinghi were doing almost a knot faster. Deano did the next best thing. offer them a gybing match. Alinghi refused it and won. Which they might not have done if the gybing match went ahead.

cinnr

It was pretty light, and perhaps ETNZ remembered one of the earlier races when they passed A on the final run with a similar move back to the right (looking upwind).

For sure they were not as close to A in the prior race, but Ray Davies I believe mentioned after the earlier win that they went where they did based on an expected shift at the bottom of the course when the wind was light.

It seemed that after A completed their gybe in front of ETNZ and got some speed on, ETNZ dropped back quickly. At those hot angles, would ETNZ be affected by A's upwash and cause them to drop back? From what I saw on tv, A was lower and faster after they finally got up to speed, so IMO ETNZ couldn't have held on and then gybed on their air.

I would have stuck right fucking there. Alinghi's not gonna jibe right under you so carry them way out and something happens like they are forced to jibe underneath to make the line...

I don't buy the crap about Alinghi pulling away at something like 3 knots...if true they would have already been finished by that point. No, the boats are basically evenly matched up & downwind.

Stick right fucking there. No doubt about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

kenergy

Super Anarchist
First thing,

I was wondering what you would have done on the last downhill run on Saturday, your bow up the date of Brad Buterworth.
podb12_50.jpg

( Sorry just a bit bored waiting for the gun)

mark25

the only good reason to gybe away was to sail in more breeze - if ETNZ thought that they saw more breeze off to the right then they were sadly mistaken. Their best % play was to stay to leeward of SUI as close as possible , preferably not overlapped. SUI would have to be way clear ahead (pref 2 boatlengths) to risk a gybe without fouling ETNZ let alone finding clear air out the other side. It would have put ETNZ in control .

Their early gybe put all of their eggs in a wind shift basket.

But it would have been Hutchinson/Davies call not Dean's. Helm just executes at this stage.

Latest posts