Decent sci-fi or fantasy novels

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me
Tanith Lee

Walter Miller’s “Canticle for Leibowitz”  series - There's a series?

Arthur Clarke

Salman Rushdie (fantasy ish)

Frank Herbert wrote lots of stuff outside of the DUNE novels
Whipping Star

The Dosadi Experiment

Destination: Void

The Jesus Experiment

The White Plague

...to name a few.

Coolerking

LBC
Dune...get the first book out of the way now before Denis V's new film adaptation drops in December, which by all accounts sounds like its going to be amazing.

The first four books are fantastic, and a great read while at sea...

Bacchus66

Dune...get the first book out of the way now before Denis V's new film adaptation drops in December, which by all accounts sounds like its going to be amazing.

Can only hope so, since the 1984 version by De Laurentiis and David Lynch sucked. Despite some quality casting decisions in many of the roles other than that of Paul Atreides.

But yeah, the first four were very good. Though I found #2 to be the weakest link. It felt short and rushed compared to Dune, Children of Dune and God Emperor of Dune.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coolerking

LBC
Can only hope so, since the 1984 version by De Laurentiis and David Lynch sucked. Despite some quality casting decisions in many of the roles other than that of Paul Atreides.
Agreed, I think the fact that the CGI and PP tech is many light years ahead of '84's will be a game changer.

Sounds like the first book will be 2 films, which is promising.

I really liked BR2049, the look was flawless.

Arrival was pretty damn good too.

Anyhow, Dune is a great read, a rare story that's actually better after a few times through.

The Spice Must Flow.

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me

I lost the program some time around the time the 8th super souped up Idaho clone mutually sexually enslaved a Bene Gesserit...book 4 or 6 or something. The magic was lost.

I loved the first one, and 2 & 3 were good also.

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me

But yeah, the first four were very good. Though I found #2 to be the weakest link. It felt short and rushed compared to Dune, Children of Dune and God Emperor of Dune.
I'm still distraught over Lynch's Dune. I watched it again as an adult to see if it was just me being a callow teenager that hated it when it came out.

No, it was still an incoherent mess. A waste of a tremendous cast.

The miniseries was much better. But there's still room for improvement.

Marinatrix447

Anarchist
United Kingdom
As to Frank Herbert...  (slight thread-drift)

Denis Villeneuve will be delivering the next remake of DUNE - penned for release December 2020, allegedly a two-part film saga in fact.
He stated clearly… “I’m going back to the book”

EPcyoDuWsAApe7.jpg

Cast? Timothée Chalamet as Paul Atreides/Paul Muad'Dib and the lovely Zendaya will counter as Chani. Stellan Skarsgård as a bloated, floatin' Baron Vladimir Harkonnen should prove compelling…

Hans Zimmer will compose the new DUNE score.

Villeneuve’s Blade Runner 2049 won an Oscar for best visual effects - this bodes well indeed for one of the likely heavy-hitting sci-fi flicks of 2020.

Bacchus66

....Sounds like the first book will be 2 films, which is promising.

....Anyhow, Dune is a great read, a rare story that's actually better after a few times through.

The Spice Must Flow.
Re 2 films for first book, I'm glad. Epic stories deserve epic films. If they aren't going to make a 4 hour movie, two 2 plus hour ones is a better option than onea weak 21/2 to 3 hour one. I still wish they'd done the Lord of the rings as six films instead of 3. After all, though published as three volumes, Tolkien did organize it into six books.

And yeah. One of several books I've read that got seriously dog-eared before I converted to digital. Good Omens, Guards Guards, the first three Wheel of Time books (before I shifted to Hardback). I, Robot by Asimov .. among others. Though i might actually say got better each time through.

Bacchus66

Shootist Jeff said:
One fantasy sci-fi series that's not been mentioned is Stephen King's the Dark Tower series.  I REALLY enjoyed the books.  The earlier ones in particular.  Have read them all at least twice now.  Once as a teen and again as an adult and they are still excellent.  

And as with almost all SK books turned to movies or TV, the recent Dark Tower movie was meh.  But definitely not the worst of them.  
I'm not a huge SK fan, but I will say that the Shawshank Redemption definitely did NOT suffer in translation to film. One of the best movies I've ever seen. The Green Mile was pretty good too, if not quite great.

cbm

Anarchist
John Hindmarch His books are worth a read Start with the Mark trilogy and keep going He writes a lot of trilogies and series, all of which are a great read

You might want to give the Deathworlder series a go - all free and there are various writers but they've worked together to create a very unique series.  The first in the series is available here.

The whole series started off on the idea that what if humans aren't the weaklings that most sci-fi makes us out to be - what if our world is considered a deathworld - natural disasters (fire/flood/volcanic eruptions/cyclones), bacteria/viruses, temperature extremes, deadly plants, deadly animals.  As we evolved in this deathworld humans are actually stronger and faster than other sentient beings.

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker
Whipping Star

The Dosadi Experiment

Destination: Void

The Jesus Experiment

The White Plague

...to name a few.
that was an interesting read..

also George Martin has a few series outside of GoT

was in half price books  today,  saw a foundation book hadn't seen...   so google shows

Asimov began adding new volumes in 1981, with two sequels: Foundation's Edge and Foundation and Earth, and two prequels: Prelude to Foundation, Forward the Foundation.
i thinks there's 4 up there i hadn't heard of,  damn,  will have to start the whole series again, if i can find my books or if i can get it through the local library..

Last edited by a moderator:

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me
I'm not a huge SK fan, but I will say that the Shawshank Redemption definitely did NOT suffer in translation to film. One of the best movies I've ever seen. The Green Mile was pretty good too, if not quite great.
King's novellas and short works make great movies.

I think his longer works don't translate as well without a longer format, e.g. The Stand as a miniseries.

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me
that was an interesting read..

also George Martin has a few series outside of GoT

was in half price books  today,  saw a foundation book hadn't seen...   so google shows

i thinks there's 4 up there i hadn't heard of,  damn,  will have to start the whole series again, if i can find my books or if i can get it through the local library..
First George R.R. Martin I read was a short story called Sandkings. It was in Omni magazine, and I think it was cut down. Read a fuller story later...creepy AF and still good.