Decent sci-fi or fantasy novels

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Shootist Jeff said:
a good plague that wiped out a couple of billion wouldn't be such a bad thing.  
That's a different King book.  Maybe the best one.

Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 11.37.26 AM.png

IStream

Super Anarchist
Shootist Jeff said:
All true.  And the Shining was excellent as well.  Which is why I said "almost all" of his books to film sucked.  
Except that King didn't like the Shining adaptation. King's got a good imagination and passable writing skills. I'm not surprised that he'd react negatively to his material in the hands of a master who didn't give a shit about maintaining fidelity to the source material. Kubrick made it far better as far as I'm concerned.

IStream

Super Anarchist
Shootist Jeff said:
I like that one too.  It was probably one of the earliest books I read about mankind being wiped out.  I still say with the global population pressures we put on the environment, a good plague that wiped out a couple of billion wouldn't be such a bad thing.  
You may get your wish, though probably not in the form of the 2019 nCoV unless it mutates to become a lot more lethal. More likely, another superflu.

Meat Wad

Super Anarchist
The White Plague
"The White Plague is a 1982 science fiction novel by Frank Herbert that explores madness and revenge on a global scale."

Pretty vague, Zombies??

If you have not read the Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke.

BUY IT. every library should have it. https://www.amazon.com/Collected-Stories-Arthur-C-Clarke/dp/0312878214/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

It is the collection of short stories that many of his novels are based on. It also has the 50 page short called, "The Wind from the Sun".

Coolerking

LBC
I'm not a huge SK fan, but I will say that the Shawshank Redemption definitely did NOT suffer in translation to film. One of the best movies I've ever seen. The Green Mile was pretty good too, if not quite great.
Oh yea,  the story was originally called "Rita Hayworth And Shawshank Redemption"

From the Novella "Different Seasons" which also had another short story called "The Body" which became the film Stand By Me, in fact I think all of the stories were made into films. good stuff for sure.

Shawshank was a masterpiece imho, the end scene, the shot of finally seeing the blue ocean after all the stone grey and darkness of the film, and Andy and Red meeting again was and always will be pure joy.

Nearly perfect film.

Coolerking

LBC
"The White Plague is a 1982 science fiction novel by Frank Herbert that explores madness and revenge on a global scale."

Pretty vague, Zombies??

If you have not read the Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke.

BUY IT. every library should have it. https://www.amazon.com/Collected-Stories-Arthur-C-Clarke/dp/0312878214/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

It is the collection of short stories that many of his novels are based on. It also has the 50 page short called, "The Wind from the Sun".
Capt. Tripps coming to call?

The Herbert book White Plague, if I remember correctly, it was a guy whose wife and family were killed, and he designed a pathogen that killed every woman on earth or something like that..

Not unlike Children Of Men I guess.

Scary stuff anyhow.

Bacchus66

Shawshank was a masterpiece imho, the end scene, the shot of finally seeing the blue ocean after all the stone grey and darkness of the film, and Andy and Red meeting again was and always will be pure joy.

Nearly perfect film.
I couldn't agree more. Though my favorite single shot is him tearing of his shirt in the rain after emerging from the pipe. Definitely in my personal top 5.

Part of what makes it so great is how well cast and played all the other roles besides Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman were. When the smaller roles are giving so much to the movie, it's always going to be good. Throw in two outstanding starring performances, a sublime script, great directing and an awesome production design/cinematography on top of that and you end up with a masterpiece.

" I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope. "

animeproblem

Super Anarchist
Seattle
^haven't read it yet, but the movie is the 2nd oldest in my collection, might have an excuse to have a look, I gather there is a sequel novel out by another author,

with Micheal being rather grave man these days.

A

Amati

Loved this movie.  New, tiny budget and excellent, especially if you have known anyone in astronomy or the defense industry.  Beautiful ending, nice catharsis.  

Just Finished Gibson’s latest, ‘Agency’.  Kind of pat.  

A

Amati

Iron Sky  :lol:

here’s the first 4 minutes 

Of course, Helium 3 may be total bullshit, but don’t tell the president!   B)

Last edited:

animeproblem

Super Anarchist
Seattle
Just returned from Third Place Books with my own copy of "Agency" & of course was told by the girl behind the counter I missed the event when the man himself was at the store, also bought "The Andromeda Strain" & it's sequel "The Andromeda Evolution", Daniel H. Wilson is the author of the latter. 

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Amati

I highly recommend the movie ‘Alien Trespass’.  

Last edited: