Defender shipping prices

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
Not sure if it is Defender or UPS cranking up the cost, but it has put them right off my vendor list from the west coast. And I (recently retired from) ran a business with a lot of shipping, so I'm pretty sure absolutely certain they could do better if they wanted to.

GroupW

USA
I bought a 12 “ plastic cover for a gps, a small bottle of wax and a shackle and it was something like $31 in shipping. Seems crazy. Guess I’ll go back to price matching defender at WM if they still do it. They also have a $25 minimum purchase order now to ship. But hey I got my clearance $9 Vulcan sun cover now that they are dumping them, so there’s that.

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
I'm seeing a lot of places adding a 'fuel charge' or other upcharges on shipping now. Hopefully it's temporary. Defender specifically, the shipping is weird. I ordered some stuff and surepost wasn't available because of some epoxy in the order. I took that out and surepost was available again. Fortunately I live close enough to stop by when I really need something.

Blitzen

Our firm ships a lot of small packages to clients via UPS Overnight. Our negotiated corporate price for an overnight letter, for example, has gone from a little over $7 to around $12 this year.

SimonGH

Westbrook CT
It forces you to compare their prices to others and factor in the shipping.
Defender first prices are pretty competitive, but I've definitely been shopping less there recently because of the shipping costs.
If I can drive up there for bigger things it's worth it.

DrewR

Utility Infielder
Buzzards Bay, MA
I work for an online retailer, fuel surcharges are all over the place. It's a battle keeping shipping costs down at the moment.

But yes, I did better on Bezos Yacht Fund & local West pickups this year than Defender. And I miss the annual warehouse sale, usually well worth the trip.

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
Defender's site and checkout are archaic. Looks like the stuff of 15 years ago, and is slow and confusing.

This morning I tried to renew my Defender 1st. The site told me my pw wasn't right (I know it is correct). Then it wouldn't email me with a password change field. Maybe it's a sign that I need to let it lapse.

deep c

Yup. Want like $40 on 6 lbs 75 miles away I just tried to order yesterday.

I’ll drive to New London and stop at Paul’s Pasta before I’ll let them rip me like that. Else off to West.

Too bad used to be a good bunch.

I think Fisheries is still free over $100, got some stuff from Winston Electronics a while ago also good shipping, that's a nice place one of the last like it. Used to order alot from Defender, they seemed to stock alot of the electronic stuff that was right on the edge of going away at decent prices. Been along time though.

Autonomous

Turgid Member
PNW
Yesterday I placed a small order with Duckworks. The shipping added almost 50% to the price.
Still way less than driving out of my way to West Marine.

deep c

Yup. Want like $40 on 6 lbs 75 miles away I just tried to order yesterday.

I’ll drive to New London and stop at Paul’s Pasta before I’ll let them rip me like that. Else off to West.

Too bad used to be a good bunch.
I'm gonna have to take this one back. Shipping and tax 40 bucks, got here in 36 hours. Didn't see the break down tax/shipping on the phone and my bad.

2airishuman

The Loyal Opposition
In the Minneapolis area the best we have locally are West Marine corporate stores and a couple of independent chandleries who are West Marine affiliates and sell from their catalog. I get everything from Fisheries Supply, Defender, or Jamestown Distributors and comparison shop most of the time. Defender has good prices but the shipping is indeed high and given their volume they are surely marking it up a good deal. I look at overall package price and usually defender is OK. The exception being things that have a minimum advertised price, like epoxy, where the places that offer free shipping are a better deal.