Defi Azimut Race & Speed Runs

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
And interesting that Charlie and Jeremie (solo VG rule) are ahead of 11th hour and Malizia (crewed TOR rules)

staysail

Super Anarchist
Lots of drama out there tonight judging by the speed and course variations. Hard to be a fly on the wall in the middle of the night in the middle of Biscay!

huey 2

Super Anarchist
syd
1663292074512.png
1663292421892.png

huey 2

Super Anarchist
syd
It must be hard finding the turning mark for Azimut 1 ,...or there is a wind hole
Boris was erratic and slow now Jeremie almost around but was slow for a bit. Charlie has put on 7 miles extra to second with all this" whatever it is with the mark rounding."...wow
Thomas has had a blinder in the last hour or so ... vying for second to Charlie, and passed Maxime and Kevin like they were still. [ but Maxime has just got him back]....something funny with Thomas's tracker ......edit Yes a Glitch Thomas is on fire gone from 19 miles out to now 12 behind Charlie extraordinary
Alan has got in to the race..... Justine then Sam, but Isabelle right back...?

Interestingly from Guillaume interview
The skippers avoid sailing hard on the wind by pulling on the helm to plane very early and, in the end, it’s the hull that stabilises the foil and not the reverse!”

Last edited:

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Scary how Apivia has pulled out such a lead over the new boats. Even more scary if his new boat is faster again. Whilst it's early days for the new boats you still wouldn't think they would be that far behind Apivia. What percentage is boat and what percentage is the skipper in Apivia's case that gives them such a speed advantage.?

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Watching the start again and Apivia was quite a way back when the gun went off but was in the lead by the time they reached the lighthouse.! There is something that boat has that the others don't, never seen such a speed discrepancy between Box Rule boats before.!

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
And interesting that Charlie and Jeremie (solo VG rule) are ahead of 11th hour and Malizia (crewed TOR rules)
Not to my eye? 11th hour are leading the race in both divisions. By the way Tracker showing Apivia has turned around facing the other way zero boat speed virtually.? Maybe I am reading the tracker wrong, it is strange. Charlie has 197 miles to go and 11th hour 229 miles but 11th hour ahead on the map?

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
Not to my eye? 11th hour are leading the race in both divisions. By the way Tracker showing Apivia has turned around facing the other way zero boat speed virtually.? Maybe I am reading the tracker wrong, it is strange. Charlie has 197 miles to go and 11th hour 229 miles but 11th hour ahead on the map?
It was the case at the time of the message (and the solo fleet started a bit after the crewed one), but indeed, 11th hour now lead "overall", and Malizia third

huey 2

Super Anarchist
syd
At Azimut 2 woo... its all closed up, top 4 seperated by 6 miles....its a race home with the crewed boats in the mix....we get to see some side by side performance upwind....

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
What are everyone's thoughts crewed vs solo in terms of performance? So crewed carry extra weight but can have someone always trimming the sails whereas solo sleep is almost dead time. The crewed boats should be a fair way ahead if things like sail changes and need to trim are common. 11th hour should extend if that's the case but racing against Charlie Dalin who knows?

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
What are everyone's thoughts crewed vs solo in terms of performance? So crewed carry extra weight but can have someone always trimming the sails whereas solo sleep is almost dead time. The crewed boats should be a fair way ahead if things like sail changes and need to trim are common. 11th hour should extend if that's the case but racing against Charlie Dalin who knows?

Yes I agree, and probably more crewed advantage upwind, although the autopilots are quite good now, (and the solo autopilots better under the TOR rules from what I understand, TOR autopilots limited to compass mode or something like that)

Trocola

I understand that idea was abandoned. It would involve redoing your electronics to change from solo to crewed. I guess you can check the class rules for clarification. I asked a technician in charge of one of the imocas that will do solo and crewes and he said that they are the same including overlays from multiple sensors like heel, cameras...
Also if they were limited to compás mode 11th hour would probably have installed wheels in the space designed for them.

huey 2

Super Anarchist
syd
....get the right side of the course...the breeze is going to change , could be fast and fun...everyone is jostling...the lead six has Justine...ahead of Sam...good to see her back
the Verdier interview is interesting for both what was said and also not
the boats for crewed being stronger and heavier..for push-ability... Will Harris has talked extensively on Boris's boat about differences in electronics...the whole setup is customised to the rule for crewed , especially the media package component...by inference I think they are trying to block the other crews from seeing/hearing each others details...can it work..? Routing differences as well, but as said the monitoring of the load cells restricted so that they back off by using feel...and then the power consumption has to be watched as well as the water maker has to be run fulltime..? for food . As the single handers tend to have less reconstituted food as they need help from their food to stay normalised !!...so a weight penalty from the liquids captured in pouch and for better pre-made reheat meal combinations pouches to boil up. I hear space tech for the astronauts on the space station is the example commonly used . Mental composition and physical health starting from what goes in vs a variety for keeping the body stable and regular ...food for fuel as well as mental thought ...and expel then out.
Boris's boat apparently has massive strength built in, more than first eluded to. To finish first , second or last, you have to survive the pushing... if you get the drift.

I wrote this last night at the end of a big week but sleep caught up and didnt post....it says the same thing a few times needs edit and havent fact checked it either, so take it as a note.. so good to see them on the water

Last edited: