Definition Please

sailorman44

CT/FL
In various threads in Sailing Anarchy I have come across references to speciality jibs. At the time I was not particularly interested in the exact meaning, just accepted the name as descriptive. Now I am considering adding a light air sail to supplement my 3/4 self tending jib. In researching among past Sailing Anarchy threads  I am again coming across these names and wondering what exactly they mean and if they might be the sail I am looking for. The terms are "jib top", "reacher", "blast reacher", and "skreecher". What are these sails and what are the differences between them? How does PHRF treat them?

your mileage may vary but this is my understanding

Jib tops are hoisted in the headfoil and have a very high clew, and are often trimmed by twinging down spinnaker sheets or with a short sheet on a snatch block on the toerail. Often complemented with genoa staysails, very good for high wind reaching 55-90 AWA

There is a trend towards "J-0"s which are hoisted in front of the headfoil on a torsion line furler and measured as a jib, but which are functionally code zeroes. There are also some jibs that have a very long torsion line and are hoisted from the bowsprit and are visually similar to the "flying jibs" of Tall Ships.

There are also very shallow-cut triangular spinnakers to be flown off either a bowsprit, pole, or the stemhead, good for light air reaching.

Talk to your favorite sailmaker about what you want, seems like you want a light air upwind sail.

sailorman44

CT/FL
your mileage may vary but this is my understanding

Jib tops are hoisted in the headfoil and have a very high clew, and are often trimmed by twinging down spinnaker sheets or with a short sheet on a snatch block on the toerail. Often complemented with genoa staysails, very good for high wind reaching 55-90 AWA

There is a trend towards "J-0"s which are hoisted in front of the headfoil on a torsion line furler and measured as a jib, but which are functionally code zeroes. There are also some jibs that have a very long torsion line and are hoisted from the bowsprit and are visually similar to the "flying jibs" of Tall Ships.

There are also very shallow-cut triangular spinnakers to be flown off either a bowsprit, pole, or the stemhead, good for light air reaching.

Talk to your favorite sailmaker about what you want, seems like you want a light air upwind sail.
By "J-0" you mean "jib zero" that is a code zero cut very flat and sailed  like a jib but measured in as a code zero by PHRF? I have one and it works pretty well. I can point to 25 degrees apparent with it but it is not really close winded The best true wind angle I have been able to achieve is 55 degrees true

I wonder how PHRF would treat a "flying Jib". They don't encourage innovation.

The shallow cut triangular spinnaker you mention would not meet the mid girth requirement for an asymmetrical spinnaker.

Yes, I am looking for a light air upwind sail, one that is closer winded than my code zero.  My boat is sticky and under powered in light air. The head stay is set back from the bow so plenty of room to tack a furling sail on a torsion line. The problem is how to do it with minimal rating impact

sunseeker

Super Anarchist
By "J-0" you mean "jib zero" that is a code zero cut very flat and sailed  like a jib but measured in as a code zero by PHRF? I have one and it works pretty well. I can point to 25 degrees apparent with it but it is not really close winded The best true wind angle I have been able to achieve is 55 degrees true

I wonder how PHRF would treat a "flying Jib". They don't encourage innovation.

The shallow cut triangular spinnaker you mention would not meet the mid girth requirement for an asymmetrical spinnaker.

Yes, I am looking for a light air upwind sail, one that is closer winded than my code zero.  My boat is sticky and under powered in light air. The head stay is set back from the bow so plenty of room to tack a furling sail on a torsion line. The problem is how to do it with minimal rating impact
What kind of boat?

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
Here it is

https://www.ericwsponberg.com/boat-designs/bagatelle/

5017D00C-412C-4521-89D8-B19053484DC2.jpeg

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
I always liked watching Bagatelle sail. Pretty boat, interesting design. It looks like it should be faster than it was when I sailed around/with/against it, but maybe that was just teething problems early on. It's always great seeing it on the starting line.

sailorman44

CT/FL
Thanks Ryley, Bagatelle is a really nice sailing boat. She came out of build 2000 lbs heavy and her performance has never lived  up to expectation. Every two or three years there is a race where there is enough wind and a favorable course and she performs really well. Otherwise, in less than 7 true she is not fast. Hence my interest in a supplemental light air jib.

Latest posts