DEISEL CABIN HEATERS

MiddayGun

Super Anarchist
Yorkshire
I keep meaning to buy a cheap Chinese job.
I've got an Ebererspacher D1L that was installed in the boat in the early 90s I think.

The fact it still works is quite impressive, doubt the Chinese job will do that well, but the fan is so noisy it's like standing next to a running aircraft.

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
I have considered the cheap Chinese ones, but I understand that the savings in cost are not as high as one might think, because the accessory components are usually of low quality and need to be replaced during installation. In addition, I wanted to buy a Chinese one that has been proven through use in someone's boat. So far I can't find anyone with experience on a particular brand.

That's a good point but this installation is very space-constrained. Almost all the space under the settees is taken up by the water tanks. The fridge is an engine-driven holding plate. There is an old noisy 110VAC auxiliary compressor under the sink that actually heats up the cabin quite a lot - not a critical issue but I will likely want to replace that with a 12VDC unit at some point. (Now that I'm all solared-up.) Well, in fact I could just rip it out now and put the heater blower right in there. The lower cabinet between the fridge and the sink is filled by the water heater, so quite a lot of heating going on in that corner already

Mine is in the laz, attached to the forward side of the liferaft locker.

Exhaust is routed out the starboard side of the transom. Combustion intake comes from the laz.

Air to be heated comes from the aft end of the aft stateroom, just above the shelf.

Heated air gets routed to the port side of the laz, forward of the propane locker, then forward through the cockpit locker. Through the bulkhead into the wet locker. A "T" heats the aft head. Then the main duct keeps going forward into the galley, attached to the top of the lockers above the stove. Keeps going forward into the forward cabinet in the main salon, where a branch heads down to an outlet near the freshwater pump.

I could go on, but I'd suggest contacting me directly. Or, come on by and look at the boat!

-tk

Mogle

At sea
Can you get your diesel heater delivered? I was thinking of a similar project within the next couple of months just to be told that Webasto or Eberspacher can't deliver due to the war in Ukraine. Good there are alternatives: Dickson Marine, Wallas, Refleks

seaker

Maine
Can you get your diesel heater delivered? I was thinking of a similar project within the next couple of months just to be told that Webasto or Eberspacher can't deliver due to the war in Ukraine. Good there are alternatives: Dickson Marine, Wallas, Refleks
Would not have thought about that but it makes sense. This Co still has some models according to their web site. https://www.heatso.com/

Mogle

At sea
@seaker Then I would have placed my order. I know for a fact it is out of stock in the UK and Norway, where the suppliers blame the conflict in Ukraine for the short supply of parts.

ianabc

Comox BC
Installed a Dickinson Pacific this yeat with added stainless steel sea rails around top.

BUT

Perhaps a Wallas 85 0r 100 diesel ceramic top stove 2 kWh equivalent would have been better.

A Chinese version is available on Alibaba at $600 vs $2300 for Dickinson and the ceramic top diesel cook tops are compact being only 8 inches below the ceramic cooking surface.

zenmasterfred

Super Anarchist
Lopez Island
Sitting aboard w/ my Webasto 2010 hydronic system keeping me toasty warm. Great heat but it SUCKS the amps and unless you are plugged into shore power or have a generator not practical at anchor in the cold. If I could fit one in I would put a Dickinson Newport or Antarctic, low amp draw, constant heat, can plumb in a heat coil to heat your hot water. I used to light mine in the fall on my Cal 2-46 and turn it off in the spring. No problem sailing or at anchor.

IStream

Super Anarchist
I asked the vendor if there was any problem with availability and he didn't seem to think so. I gather that they make the hydronic blower units in-house.
I assume you're talking to Sure Marine, just down the street from me. They know their shit, they do make those blowers in-house, and they're good people. They're always my fist stop for anything they carry. It's less frustrating than playing inventory roulette at Fisheries.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
We certainly used our Dickinson Antarctic underway. Sailed down the WA/OR/N. CA coast in Sept/Oct/Nov.

I did it sitting inside in shorts and T-shirt mostly.

My wife favoured fleece PJs and slippers. She is a softy.

On my parent's boat they had a Dickinson diesel stove (which also is a good heater). Sailed with it on all the time.

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
I've never heard of someone using one of these underway.
I delivered a motor sailor with one of those in the saloon

it was a mid winter…chop ice …intercoastal waterway delivery ..90 percent motor

the smoke stack was intrusive and a bit messy

heater worker fine by occupied prime real estate in the saloon

I prefer a webasto or similar

be sure that your DC battery capacity is up to the task if you choose webasto

Slug is spot on about the Webasto.

I'm working on the boat today at anchor across from the formerly nice city known as Seattle, and the Webasto is sucking a cool 9 amps at the moment.. luckily I don't need it too much in these conditions, but that little thing sucks way more power than it should. Once it's all started up the consumption drops to about 6-7 amps, but still, stooooopid power hungry for something that burns diesel for the business end of heating the boat.

harrygee

Tasmania
The cheap heaters pull that kind of current, 9 amps or so at start up and shut down for a minute or so while the glow plug is energized, then 1 amp for normal running.

About 4 hours per litre of diesel, to keep my 28' at 18 deg C, with 4 deg C out on deck.

IStream

Super Anarchist
Slug is spot on about the Webasto.

I'm working on the boat today at anchor across from the formerly nice city known as Seattle, and the Webasto is sucking a cool 9 amps at the moment.. luckily I don't need it too much in these conditions, but that little thing sucks way more power than it should. Once it's all started up the consumption drops to about 6-7 amps, but still, stooooopid power hungry for something that burns diesel for the business end of heating the boat.
I'm over here in the currently nice city known as Seattle and can confirm that the Webasto on my 50'er uses plenty of power but it's kinda the nature of the beast for hydronic. Even when the burner itself is off, water circulates and that requires a pump and that draws power, as do the efficient but numerous muffin fans on all the blower units.

zenmasterfred

Super Anarchist
Lopez Island
Agree w/ most of recent posts, I used to run my Dickinson Antarctic 24/7, sailing, motoring or tied up living aboard. The Webasto hydronic is good, one benefit is we have a heat exchanger that heats the water when the engine is running so nice heat available without using fuel (other than the engine) and amp draw is not a factor as the alternator is charging. The big advantage of something like the Dickinson is that it doesn't use many amps, depending on you interior layout and deck arrangement it can be obtrusive and difficult to exhaust effectively. The old give and take, sometimes you're the bug sometimes your the windshield.