DeSantis Ratchets Up His Run Against DIsney

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
NEWS SERVICE OF FLORIDA

TALLAHASSEE — Ratcheting up a fight with Walt Disney Co., Gov. Ron DeSantis on Tuesday expanded a special legislative session to consider eliminating a decades-old governing district set up for Disney World and nearby properties.

DeSantis made the announcement during an appearance in The Villages, as lawmakers prepared to start a special session Tuesday on a congressional redistricting plan.

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
Is he really fighting with Disney, or helping them pass Reedy Creeks 2 billion dollars of bond debt to democRAT Orange County and sorry-bout-that Osceola County? 

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
The Republican-dominated Legislature quickly released bills and scheduled committee meetings for Tuesday afternoon on a proposal (HB 3C

and SB 4-C) that targets what is known as the Reedy Creek Improvement District. They also will consider a proposal (HB 5C and SB 6-C) that would strip Disney of an exemption from a 2021 law that sought to crack down on social-media companies.

The potential dissolution of the Reedy Creek Improvement District could have far-reaching impacts. The district was created in 1967 and covers 25,000 acres in Orange and Osceola counties, according to its website. It oversees issues such as land use and traditional functions of local government such as fire protection and water and wastewater service.

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
The districts would be dissolved on June 1, 2023, though the proposal says they could be “reestablished.” The proposal is clearly targeted at Disney, after the company opposed the education law about instruction on gender identity and sexual orientation.

“Disney is a guest in Florida. Today we remind them,” House bill sponsor Randy Fine, R-Brevard County, wrote in a Twitter post after DeSantis’ announcement. “@GovRonDeSantis just expanded the Special Session so I could file HB3C which eliminates Reedy Creek Improvement District, a 50 yrold special statute that makes Disney to exempt from laws faced by regular Floridians.”

Ishmael

Granfallooner
Fuctifino
The Republican-dominated Legislature quickly released bills and scheduled committee meetings for Tuesday afternoon on a proposal (HB 3C

and SB 4-C) that targets what is known as the Reedy Creek Improvement District. They also will consider a proposal (HB 5C and SB 6-C) that would strip Disney of an exemption from a 2021 law that sought to crack down on social-media companies.

The potential dissolution of the Reedy Creek Improvement District could have far-reaching impacts. The district was created in 1967 and covers 25,000 acres in Orange and Osceola counties, according to its website. It oversees issues such as land use and traditional functions of local government such as fire protection and water and wastewater service.
Combined with the ineptitude of these Republican idiots, this could turn into a giant fuckup really quickly.

Teener

Super Anarchist
PDX
Honestly, I'm good with this development.
I got plenty of access to the mouse and warm oceans on the left coast so now I can once and for all scratch Florida off of my list of vacation options.  It was nice to have an extended stopover on the way to the Caribbean but that always added a bunch of expense I'd just as happily do without.

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
One certainly gets the feeling that this is going to blow up in DeSatan's face somehow.  Maybe Disney should just shut DW down for a year or so and see if there is any impact on the Florida economy.  

Ishmael

Granfallooner
Fuctifino
One certainly gets the feeling that this is going to blow up in DeSatan's face somehow.  Maybe Disney should just shut DW down for a year or so and see if there is any impact on the Florida economy.  
Or, this whole thing is just a smokescreen to cover the grotesquely unfair redistricting that DeSatan is ramming through.

Navig8tor

Super Anarchist
DE insanity taking on Disney, I say bring it, Disney has a public relations media presence that would make Deinsanity green with envy, given enough Political posturing by the idiot, I'm sure if they bought their cannons to bear- the presidential wannabe could kiss is political aspirations goodbye-not that it's a bad thing.

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
DE insanity taking on Disney, I say bring it, Disney has a public relations media presence that would make Deinsanity green with envy, given enough Political posturing by the idiot, I'm sure if they bought their cannons to bear- the presidential wannabe could kiss is political aspirations goodbye-not that it's a bad thing.
Disney and Florida are stuck with each other.  I like the idea of fucking DeSantis over, but Disney is a public corp and they report to their shareholders.  I'd love to see them buy a few hundred thousand acres outside of Vegas for 'future development' and distribute questionairres to Orlando employees asking if they would move West.

shaggy

Super Anarchist
Co
The districts would be dissolved on June 1, 2023, though the proposal says they could be “reestablished.” The proposal is clearly targeted at Disney, after the company opposed the education law about instruction on gender identity and sexual orientation.

“Disney is a guest in Florida. Today we remind them,” House bill sponsor Randy Fine, R-Brevard County, wrote in a Twitter post after DeSantis’ announcement. “@GovRonDeSantis just expanded the Special Session so I could file HB3C which eliminates Reedy Creek Improvement District, a 50 yrold special statute that makes Disney to exempt from laws faced by regular Floridians.”
Man I would love to see Disney go down, It's too big, I mean everything is frigging Disney IMHO, But I can't think of a better comrade in arms to go against the republican establishment.  Can't wait to hear the screaming heads call to Boycott Disney....  Do we really think they will not Watch ESPN, The NFL, Marvel, go on cruises etc etc etc.  I mean, Most of those things have major roots in the white lower class establishment and I don't think you can get bubba away from his teams on Sundays, so....  This is going to be fun to watch from the sidelines.....  

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
Disney is not "A Guest" in Florida. It is a citizen (Thank you Citizens united) and therefore expects, and should receive all the protections from gov. over reach to limit their freedom.

shaggy

Super Anarchist
Co
Co already offered to house the Corp HQ.  The mouse could simply build a new house out by the airport....  Global warming will take care of some of the lost revenue due to snow...  The rest comes from Disney Buying Vail resorts and Disneyfying the Mountains.  Can't wait o see Mickey on skis....  No need to move space mountain, We gots plenty...  

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
Co already offered to house the Corp HQ.  The mouse could simply build a new house out by the airport....  Global warming will take care of some of the lost revenue due to snow...  The rest comes from Disney Buying Vail resorts and Disneyfying the Mountains.  Can't wait o see Mickey on skis....  No need to move space mountain, We gots plenty...  
Well, as they say, location, location, location.  Disney picked Florida and California so they could operate year-round.  Not something they can do in CO.  Vegas, maybe.  After the Florida experience Texas seems unlikely.

No doubt they are taking the long view here.  DeSatan won't be around forever.

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
Well, as they say, location, location, location.  Disney picked Florida and California so they could operate year-round.  Not something they can do in CO.  Vegas, maybe.  After the Florida experience Texas seems unlikely.

No doubt they are taking the long view here.  DeSatan won't be around forever.
Don't worry.  They'll put together a new display for Main Street, so the kids can see Tucker and the MAGA boys sunning their balls to be more manly, to keep the kids from being groomed. 

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
The Bahamas...................... All those small cruise ships departing from Fla. en route to Paradise lagoon, a mere half day away! Sure the I-95 corridor and the port towns will be a snarling mass of bullshit with very little revenue outside of hookers, and  tow trucks.... But hell..... DeSantis says "Disney sucks" so Disney can suck all the tax revenue right across the Gulf stream.....

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
Maybe Disney should just shut DW down for a year or so and see if there is any impact on the Florida economy.  
If they ever did that, it would crush Florida.  The ripple effect would go on for years.  And Governor Potsie would be out and selling used cars somewhere in scrub land.