DeSantis Ratchets Up His Run Against DIsney

Navig8tor

Super Anarchist
Whoops Lil Ronnie I Wannabe the President One Day may have overstepped- he's getting some push back from the voters.

WASHINGTON, April 29 (Reuters) - A bipartisan majority of U.S. voters oppose politicians punishing companies over their stances on social issues, a cold reception for campaigns like Florida Governor Ron DeSantis' against Walt Disney Co (DIS.N), a Reuters/Ipsos poll found.

The two-day poll completed on Thursday showed that 62% of Americans - including 68% of Democrats and 55% of Republicans - said they were less likely to back a candidate who supports going after companies for their views.

Sponsored by Salesforce
Unite your teams around your customer with Customer 360 and Slack.
Watch the world’s #1 CRM bring a team together to get their free-falling customer the help she needs. Land on your own solution with Salesforce.

Learn more

DeSantis signed a bill last week that strips Disney of self-governing authority at its Orlando-area parks in retaliation for its opposition to a new Florida law that limits the teaching of LGBTQ issues in schools. read more

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/americans-do-not-support-politicians-punishing-firms-their-views-reutersipsos-2022-04-29/

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
I’ve been at a conference this week, and have had the chance to ask various politicos if they can recall so much as a single incident in which Tallahassee took an action wrt Disney that Disney did not want taken. Perhaps today will be the day when someone can point out the exception to the rule.  

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
I’ve been at a conference this week, and have had the chance to ask various politicos if they can recall so much as a single incident in which Tallahassee took an action wrt Disney that Disney did not want taken. Perhaps today will be the day when someone can point out the exception to the rule.  
Nah, it won't be. Ron has already cashed his commission check, and Mickey is a happy m-o-u-s-e.

Not for nothing

Super Anarchist
jupiter
Fuckking Desatan is going really Goofy

Ron DeSantis Blames Disney for Suddenly ‘Injecting Sexuality’ Into Cartoons as If Pepe Le Pew Doesn’t Exist (msn.com)

Now he's going after  image.jpeg

"I am Pepé Le Pew, your lover!"

Pepé Le Pew is an animated character from the Warner Bros. Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies series of cartoons, introduced in 1945. Depicted as a French .

Last edited by a moderator:

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
There's some buzz about this being against the Florida constitution.  If so, this could be yet another serving of red meat for his fan club that has a good chance of being overturned - AFTER THE ELECTION.

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
There's some buzz about this being against the Florida constitution.  If so, this could be yet another serving of red meat for his fan club that has a good chance of being overturned - AFTER THE ELECTION.
I can see where it would run afoul of Article 1, Section 10, though I have not and most likely will not seen the contracts involved.

SECTION 10. [SIZE=10pt]Prohibited laws.—[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]No bill of attainder, ex post facto law or law impairing the obligation of contracts shall be passed.[/SIZE]

Navig8tor

Super Anarchist
Fuckking Desatan is going really Goofy

Ron DeSantis Blames Disney for Suddenly ‘Injecting Sexuality’ Into Cartoons as If Pepe Le Pew Doesn’t Exist (msn.com)

Now he's going after  View attachment 507591

"I am Pepé Le Pew, your lover!"

Pepé Le Pew is an animated character from the Warner Bros. Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies series of cartoons, introduced in 1945. Depicted as a French .
Well Xi had Pooh banned for the similarities, the word is Ron has being doing some extra loving.

Maybe he needs some character,  Pepé works for me.

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
I can see where it would run afoul of Article 1, Section 10, though I have not and most likely will not seen the contracts involved.

SECTION 10. [SIZE=10pt]Prohibited laws.—[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]No bill of attainder, ex post facto law or law impairing the obligation of contracts shall be passed.[/SIZE]
IIRC, that's what the article I read referenced.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
I didn't know that we have 1,288 independent special districts in FL.

No, Florida Republicans Do Not Care About Crony Capitalism

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis recently signed legislation that strips Walt Disney World of its independent, special-district status after the company objected to the state's new law regarding discussion of sexual orientation or gender identity in classrooms. While the motive behind this action is problematic, some of its supporters argue that there is nothing to fret about, since it was time to revoke a cronyist privilege granted to Disney 50 years ago anyway. But if this is really a fight against cronyism, the legislation goes about it the wrong way.

Cronyism is the unhealthy alliance of business and government. It takes the form of government officials at the state, local, and federal levels granting special privileges to particular companies or industries. These privileges can include special tax breaks, government loans, direct subsidies, or—as in Florida—so-called "special districts." I spend a great deal of my work hours researching the harm cronyism causes to citizens. That's because, as my colleague Matthew Mitchell wrote a decade ago, "Whatever its guise, government-granted privilege [to private businesses] is an extraordinarily destructive force. It misdirects resources, impedes genuine economic progress, breeds corruption, and undermines the legitimacy of both the government and the private sector."

So, is Disney benefiting from a handout that should be stripped away? Yes, Disney certainly has been getting an incredible privilege to act as its own government within the limits of Orange and Osceola counties. For instance, it runs its fire department, administers planning and zoning rules, writes building codes, employs its own inspectors, and is exempted from local regulations and some $200 million in taxes. It levies the remainder of the taxes it owes.

Removing special district status means these types of responsibilities would be absorbed by the two counties in which Walt Disney World sits. Local taxpayers would then shoulder the cost for all municipal services on the property—a cost estimated to be $1 billion. The company, in turn, would be subjected to the same subpar local government services and regulations that most of us are accustomed to. In addition, Florida will be tied up in years of costly litigation to figure out how to disentangle the company from the counties.

But maybe untangling this special treatment is worth the cost. Just don't expect it to result in a fairer regime. Indeed, if this setup is so unacceptable—a claim most Republicans didn't seem to make for the half-century the special district has been in place—it should also be unacceptable for the other 1,844 Florida special districts. Of these, 1,288 are, like Disney, independent districts. But we aren't hearing significant Republican complaints about these.

I'd say "problematic" is putting it mildly and to Jules' comment about the FL constitution, I'd add that there's a federal first amendment problem with retaliatory action like this for some of the same reasons that the first amendment and retaliatory action are awaiting action at SCOTUS right now in Egbert v Boule.

Not for nothing

Super Anarchist
jupiter
This whole mess could cause a bigger mess, If the state backs out an agreement that past government made, then any agreement could be cancelled that the state has made with any companies or citizens, that don't fit the current office holders, aka: lobby monies, kickbacks, bribes and so on.

The state and local governments were way different then!

I question the 50 years, how much has Disney brought into the state, first taxes paid, then all the secondary benefits: other parks, hotels, housing, restaurants, airports, trains, cars gas station the list could go for pages. So good deal or bad, Florida made a ton of money off it!

How the last part GAYS, I think most workers at Disney are gay? Orlando is a big hot spot for gays! (Pulse club) as a matter-of-fact Florida has some the USA (best known) spots for gays, Key west, South beach, Tampa/St. Pete, Jax Beach. So if De Satan wants to make it a straight white state, he's got a lot of work, or become governor of Kansas  ( sorry Kansas 

An Idea he could send all the gays to P-town on the cape, shit he wants to send illegals to Martha Vineyard, I like to be on that cruise ship, illegals/gays eating salsa drinking Tequila and dancing all night, If Disney uses it's ships for that cruise they make a ton of $$$$$$$$$$$

hobie1616

Super Anarchist
West Maui
Central Florida leaders say dissolving Reedy Creek irresponsible, not well-thought-out

Central Florida lawmakers held a news conference Monday morning to address the dissolution of the Reedy Creek Improvement District, the government that allows Disney to govern itself.

Sen. Linda Stewart stated she did not like the way the dissolution was introduced, in a 12-24 hour period, over a "difference of opinion on a social issue."

"There was no study done on the consequences of dissolving the district, we weren't given much notice to look into all the ramifications," she said. "An analysis stated there will be an indeterminate fiscal impact on residents, businesses and local general-purpose governments." 

Stewart stated that dissolving the district would require a vote by members of the district, "and I don't think there's any interest in that Reedy Creek district dissolving themselves." 

She stated that one proposed solution, if the district is dissolved, is for a new district to be created, run by Gov. Ron DeSantis with appointments by the governor. If that were to happen, Stewart said, the state of Florida would inherit Disney's $1 billion in bond debt. If Orange and Osceola inherit that debt, she said that could mean up to an additional $2,200 in taxes for property owners. 

"Turning it over to Orange County and Osceola County would create the largest property tax increase in our history. We don’t want that to happen. Our residents do not want this to happen," said Stewart. 

Sen. Randolph Bracy stated that even the discussion of creating a new district shows how "hare-brained" the entire ordeal has been. He said the decision to attack Disney has been purely politically motivated by DeSantis, calling it "irresponsible."

"He gave no thought to what he was doing, or how it would impact Orange and Osceola County," Bracy said. "What he's done is essentially raise taxes in Orange and Osceola County." 

Bracy said given Orange County's existing debt, taxes could double if not more. He added that they are still waiting for specific numbers from the Comptroller. 

Sen. Victor Torres said this decision also impacts thousands of workers employed by Reedy Creek.

"When was the last time you heard a Republican governor bragging about raising taxes on one of thee the largest private companies in the state and saying government has a right to punish government for private business decisions?" Torres said. "Disney is not the one being punished by this bill. The workers and taxpayers are."

Stewart said officials continue to scramble to determine how to proceed. 

"There are legal minds on all sides working to figure out what can be done legally," Stewart said. "This has not been well-thought-out."

But Sean Snaith, the Director for UCF's Institute for Economic Forecasting said it may not be the time to sound the alarm. 

"I don’t see this as being this massive tax hit that’s going to be just dropped on Orange and Osceola County," he said. 

While taxpayers may take on Disney's debt, Snaith said there is more to account for. 

"There’s also revenue that they collect. And presumably, we’re not going to just get the debt. We would also get the revenue stream that Disney’s using to service that debt," he said. 

Snaith points out that this is far from a done deal. 

"I’d be really surprised if this is fully and completely dissolved," he said. "However if it is, I don’t believe that this is going to be some catastrophic blow to those of us who live in Orange and Osceola counties."

WESH 2 News reached out to the Orange and Osceola County Comptrollers. 

In a statement, the Office for the Osceola County Clerk & Comptroller Kelvin Soto said:

"Osceola County Clerk & Comptroller Kelvin Soto, Esq. is evaluating the developing situation regarding the dissolution of the Reedy Creek Improvement District and the impact it may have upon the Osceola County Community. The public trust requires precision and objectivity from our office, such that we cannot provide any commentary with the information available at this time. We can only rely on the continued effort of our legislators to determine the best outcome and will inform the public once legal matters settle and reliable information becomes available."

The clock is ticking for Disney. The company has less than 14 months to get rid of the 55-year-old Reedy Creek Improvement District. It's a move that many have speculated could mean a burden on taxpayers.

Last week, Gov. Ron DeSantis didn't attempt to disguise the fact that the elimination of Reedy Creek was in response to Disney speaking out against the Parental Rights in Education law, dubbed the "Don't Say Gay" bill by critics.

"I am not comfortable having one company with their own government and special privileges when that company has pledged itself to attacking the parents in my state," he said. "When that company has very high up people talking about injecting pansexualism into programing for young kids, it's wrong. Walt Disney would not want that. And so get back to the mission. Do what you did great. That's why people love the company, and you've lost your way. Maybe this will be the wake-up call that they need to get back on track."

He has previously stated that additional legislation will be proposed to make sure there won't be any tax increases for any residents from this new law.

Reedy Creek leadership has said it's in the dark about what will happen going forward.

Board member Don Greer said what happens next is up to the state.

"It will be a while before anybody knows what we’re dealing with," he said.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
They're completely missing the point. It's a Democrat area and deserves to be punished.

Is Disney better off losing control and shucking the financial burden? Dunno but it could be this benefits Disney and that's one reason Ron is pushing it. He's already fought them on the cruise ship thing and lost stupid bad.

- DSK

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
They're completely missing the point. It's a Democrat area and deserves to be punished.

Is Disney better off losing control and shucking the financial burden? Dunno but it could be this benefits Disney and that's one reason Ron is pushing it. He's already fought them on the cruise ship thing and lost stupid bad.

- DSK
If it is allowed to take effect it is because Disney wants it to take effect. 

The I-4 corridor is a pretty volatile place, politically. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

Not for nothing

Super Anarchist
jupiter
another retard fighting Mickey, aren't there more important going on in our country, the world then figthing some cartoon mouse?

FIRST ON FOX: Rep. Troy Nehls,R-Texas, is looking to strip Disney of its no-fly-zone privileges over both of its stateside theme parks.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
If it is allowed to take effect it is because Disney wants it to take effect. 

The I-4 corridor is a pretty volatile place, politically. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. 
The local low-info voters will happily pay their $2200 cause they will OWN the libtards!

Ishmael

Fuctifino
another retard fighting Mickey, aren't there more important going on in our country, the world then figthing some cartoon mouse?

FIRST ON FOX: Rep. Troy Nehls,R-Texas, is looking to strip Disney of its no-fly-zone privileges over both of its stateside theme parks.
Gotta keep the culture war going. Assholes.

Not for nothing

Super Anarchist
jupiter
When Gov. Ron DeSantis and the Florida Republican Party punished Disney for its criticism of the "Don't say gay" bill — in other words, for corporate speech that was clearly political in nature, their retaliation was not just fiscally shortsighted, it was illegal. Any government attempt to restrict a corporation's speech based on the content of that speech must satisfy the strictest scrutiny, meaning the restriction adopted by the government must be narrowly tailored to serve a compelling government interest. Restrictions based on political viewpoint have long been prohibited. Stripping Disney of its special tax status in two Florida counties (which both lean Democratic), while leaving intact more than 1,800 similar tax districts in largely Republican counties, is not narrowly tailored to achieve any clear objective, nor is silencing political critics a compelling or even legitimate government interest in the first instance.