Designing a marine bidet

gptyk

Anarchist
California
We could go full on Japanese techno toilet.
I've got one of those at home. Heated, lighted, self-opening, heated bidet water, self cleaning, multiple spray patterns, etc. It's very nice. 

I have a fresh-water bidet on the boat too - reach over and grab the shower sprayer. It's heated too, if the engine has run in the last coupla days. 

jamhass

Anarchist
Just go with the time-tested designed used on square riggers -- the Head.  Particularly effective in heavy weather. 

thinwater

Super Anarchist
Deale, MD
Americans are so funny... and I'm one of them.

I never paid much attention to the idea. I'd had them in a few hotels.

But them my wife started chemo, diarrhea is part of the journey, so I installed one. For her, it has been a life saver. But I also changed my opinion... because I was wrong before and because most of the negatives expressed above (which I also believed) are simply incorrect. They really work and are much cleaner. We're all afraid of what we don't understand.

estarzinger

Super Anarchist
How do you dry your lower parts when the water is done spraying? Just sit and drip dry or is there a heated fan on these bidets? 
When I was doing management consulting in Europe, one of my clients was the leading manufacturer of toilets to luxury hotels.  Their models had essentially blow driers built in.  Good bidets are very very nice, none of the issues those who have not used them imagine.

It was an interesting company. Built their own really high end robotics - Toyota came for a site visit to see of they made such excellent surface finishes.  

I never thought much of their advertising copy but ....

CAN A DRYER BE INTELLIGENT? Yes, as the dryer arm is extended independently of the spray arm and aligns itself automatically into position. The air temperature is reduced gradually, therefore leaving a changing heat sensation on drying skin.

TWO NOZZLES ENSURE A NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE A pulsating shower spray – refined through dynamic aeration – ensures a more intense clean, a particularly pleasant and revitalising feeling and lower water consumption.

A DISCREET NOZZLE The separate Lady shower is characterised by its particularly soft shower spray. Its nozzle is integrated into the spray arm and is therefore hygienically protected when not in use.

INTUITION AT YOUR FINGERTIPS Intuitive usability is the idea behind the remote control. All inputs can be dealt with using one hand. The display on the rear allows individual settings and indicates when descaling is pending.

Last edited by a moderator:

Startracker

Van Isl.
When I was doing management consulting in Europe, one of my clients was the leading manufacturer of toilets to luxury hotels.  Their models had essentially blow driers built in.  Good bidets are very very nice, none of the issues those who have not used them imagine.

It was an interesting company. Built their own really high end robotics - Toyota came for a site visit to see of they made such excellent surface finishes.  

I never thought much of their advertising copy but ....

CAN A DRYER BE INTELLIGENT? Yes, as the dryer arm is extended independently of the spray arm and aligns itself automatically into position. The air temperature is reduced gradually, therefore leaving a changing heat sensation on drying skin.

TWO NOZZLES ENSURE A NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE A pulsating shower spray – refined through dynamic aeration – ensures a more intense clean, a particularly pleasant and revitalising feeling and lower water consumption.

A DISCREET NOZZLE The separate Lady shower is characterised by its particularly soft shower spray. Its nozzle is integrated into the spray arm and is therefore hygienically protected when not in use.

INTUITION AT YOUR FINGERTIPS Intuitive usability is the idea behind the remote control. All inputs can be dealt with using one hand. The display on the rear allows individual settings and indicates when descaling is pending.
Say what??  I don't have a display on my rear or want it de-scaled either!

https://microship.com/boat-bidet/ This sounds nice though.  Heated seat for the cold mornings!

estarzinger

Super Anarchist
De-scaler? Does it work on fish?
I know you all are making fun . . . but it is a self-cleaning feature (of the toilet not your ass lol), nice if you dont particularly like cleaning toilets, and saves labor in the hotels.

We did some market studies of the US to see what the potential was for these sorts of toilets and determines that the US customer, even the 'high end ones', were mostly too barbarian and uncivilized and closed minded to consider (those were the client's words not mine).  This was some time ago, perhaps @Ajaxis demonstrating that the young US man is more open to such things today :)

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
 Good bidets are very very nice
Recently I’ve been working on the electrical for a new house build that has, if I recall, five bidets...each costs around $5000 each...they’re very, very nice (but I haven’t tried them :) ).  Wife is Japanese, hubby a Westerner.  They obviously have a good budget (the bidets are a small fraction of the total electrical budget), but he’s also clearly catering to his Japanese wife’s needs.. :)

mpenman

Pompano Beach
What say the quorum? Would you use it if it existed?
Absolutely, we have a Tushy, saves a ton of paper. Water out there is easy to make. They don't use a lot frankly.

I always ask people........say you got crap on your hands, would you wipe it off with a paper towel, or would you wash it off with water?

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
Being a well traveled military man as well as my own personal travels abroad has exposed me to many things, good and bad.

Ok, I won't go to the hassle of designing a dedicated "marine bidet" and I'll just install a "bum gun" and practice my aim. My conclusion is this:

• Composting toilet is probably best (but doesn't fit in my allotted space)
  • Marine flush toilets only reluctantly pass paper products (and are easily jammed by any other foreign matter such as feminine hygiene products)
  • Keeping a waste basket of shitty, used paper next to the toilet is absolutely unacceptable to us
  • This leaves a bum gun as the workable solution

thinwater

Super Anarchist
Deale, MD
I've noticed that all of the negatives are from people that have not used one. Pretty funny and pretty typical.

• Save TP and clogging.
  • Don't actually use more water because there is no TP to push through.
  • Wife will like it.
  • Drying is really not a problem. Do you buff that area with a towel when you shower?
  • Cleanliness is improved, which has a number of advantages no one has been frank enough to enumerate. You wouldn't wash your hands with a wad of TP:

No more klingons
  • Cleaner clothes
  • Reduced need to shower or sprung bath, saving the water you just used.
  • Reduced hand washing. You didn't touch anything if you did it right.
  • Reduced problems with irritation due to saltwater or diarrhea.
  • Faster.

I think Americans are too embarrassed to ask.