Designing a marine bidet

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
Hmm... even though I used low-volume tubing partly for this reason, it still wastes about a liter of water to get hot water all the way from the heater to the head.  I suppose that volume could constitute the "fresh water flush."  Now we need some rationale for running the engine first thing in the morning. A time when I usually prefer peace and quiet.  Still, the idea is gaining traction.

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
a very very smart man
Yeah, I currently find myself in slightly above freezing temps in my boat trying to “finish” a very annoying and of course difficult heater duct/fan installation...in attempt to pull more heat off the diesel cabin heater and duct it down low for her:  happy wife happy life :)

(Fingers crossed.  But they’re quite cold, so it’s hard. Stupid me, I never thought to actually light the heater when I got here, figuring it wasn’t worth the trouble, since I’d only be here “an hour” :) )

55189D82-0EB0-42FB-B54E-45E9F8C0BDD0.jpeg

estarzinger

Super Anarchist
.... duct it down low for her:  
We did pretty well on heating on Hawk . . . except I did not get it down low quite enough, so initially our knees and up would be toasty but feet a bit cold. I put carpet down one winter, thinking it was not nautical and we would have to take it up to go sailing . . . but it actually was extremely grippy (rubber backed) and did not move around at all and we just left it down the whole time we were in the south.  It made a surprising difference in foot warmth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ishmael

Yes, we have no bananas
Fuctifino
Hmm... even though I used low-volume tubing partly for this reason, it still wastes about a liter of water to get hot water all the way from the heater to the head.  I suppose that volume could constitute the "fresh water flush."  Now we need some rationale for running the engine first thing in the morning. A time when I usually prefer peace and quiet.  Still, the idea is gaining traction.
All our drinking water goes through a Brita jug filter, so we fill that with water used to warm up the lines. No waste.

Startracker

Van Isl.
We did pretty well on heating on Hawk . . . except I did not get it down low quite enough, so initially our knees and up would be toasty but feet a bit cold. I put carpet down one winter, thinking it was not nautical and we would have to take it up to go sailing . . . but it actually was extremely grippy (rubber backed) and did not move around at all and we just left it down the whole time we were in the south.  It made a surprising difference in foot warmth.
+1 on the floor covering.  On my first boat I used those grippy foam tiles that interlock for gyms.  Interlocking them and cutting them took a few hours.  Easy to lift up any one section for the bilge without a big carpet to roll up.   

Not as nice a boat as Hawk, old glass beast.  But it meant that the propane Dickinson kept us warm and barefoot were comfortable.  I measured the temperature change from ceiling to floor as dropping about 8 degrees over the 6'.  1 degree after.  Propane usage dropped noticeably, I got an extra day between fills.

Seemed to cut down on mold growth too keeping the warm air out of the bilge.  

jtsailjt

Americans are so funny... and I'm one of them.

I never paid much attention to the idea. I'd had them in a few hotels.

But them my wife started chemo, diarrhea is part of the journey, so I installed one. For her, it has been a life saver. But I also changed my opinion... because I was wrong before and because most of the negatives expressed above (which I also believed) are simply incorrect. They really work and are much cleaner. We're all afraid of what we don't understand.
I had a very similar experience a few years ago when my wife started having similar problems due to some medication she was taking just as Covid was beginning and store shelves were bare.  I was skeptical but found that I liked it a lot more than I ever expected to and it helped my wife with her issues as well.  Then my 92 year old mother broke her right arm so I got her one which helped her out a lot. Its one of those things that sounds sort of icky and unnecessary at first but once you try it you wonder why they aren’t in every home.  Now that I’ve had it awhile I wouldn’t want to be without one in my home. 

My boat has vacu-flush heads and a Watermaker so fresh water is available, so I still might install one and since I’m not often plugged into dock power I wouldn’t want to use the heated toilet seat or heated water options.  Plus, it would be one more thing to have to winterize on a boat in a cold climate.  Maybe a bum gun would be a good compromise on a boat though? 

accnick

Super Anarchist
My boat has vacu-flush heads and a Watermaker so fresh water is available, so I still might install one and since I’m not often plugged into dock power I wouldn’t want to use the heated toilet seat or heated water options.  Plus, it would be one more thing to have to winterize on a boat in a cold climate.  Maybe a bum gun would be a good compromise on a boat though? 
The Vacuflush 506+ actually has a hand-held spray option. I found it by accident looking for a place to buy a replacement 506 online. Several other models use that same style of valve, so I bet you could do this as a retrofit on other models.

Sealand%20Dometic%20506%20Spare%20Parts.jpg

PirateFoxy

We installed one of the ones that just works from water pressure in our RV, no heating, and while the fancy heated one at home is considerably nicer, the unheated water in the RV was not nearly as bad as I was expecting it to be. Helps you conserve water though since you definitely only run it as long as you absolutely need. And that was with using it this past winter when it was near freezing so the water was Not Warm At All.

Highly recommend them, way way better than dealing with toilet paper in the tank.

More than a few days  late, and a dollar short - however if you are installing one of those fancy Japanese jobs make sure you have disabled the 'automatic tampon removal ' function.

A lot of inquisitive men have come to grief pressing that button.

At anchor the simplest solution is a bollocky 'bomb' off the back of the boat. That is sure to get rid of the Klingons around Uranus .

Blitz

Super Anarchist
Ok I gotta ask.  Seeing how water flows downhill and when on the pot your balls and butt cheeks are at a lower elevation than your butt hole......  See where I'm goin with this?  So many questions.

thinwater

Super Anarchist
Deale, MD
There is no need for heated water in warm weather. Honest, room temperature is fine.

thinwater

Super Anarchist
Deale, MD
Ok I gotta ask.  Seeing how water flows downhill and when on the pot your balls and butt cheeks are at a lower elevation than your butt hole......  See where I'm goin with this?  So many questions.
a. Good aim. And you wash the surrounding area as well.

b. Water does that in the shower too, no problem.

Not trying to be funny.

Ishmael

Yes, we have no bananas
Fuctifino
To expand on asking questions, what do you do after hosing off your nether parts? Use one of the guest towels to dry?

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
To expand on asking questions, what do you do after hosing off your nether parts? Use one of the guest towels to dry?
Duh. The good ones have a blow-drier down there, too.  (The really good ones just have a blower.)  :eek:

BTW, Mighty Snow Dog has totally got the bathroom at the marina figured out.  He has a slurp from the auto-refill water bowl, then goes over and dries his face in the motion-activated snout drier.   

thinwater

Super Anarchist
Deale, MD
a. If you hover for a few seconds there is actually no need. That is what I have found.

b. If you are fastidious, TP, but very little. But see (a).

PirateFoxy

a. If you hover for a few seconds there is actually no need. That is what I have found.

b. If you are fastidious, TP, but very little. But see (a).
I suppose you could keep towels for the purpose as well. I’d get washcloths a different color to normal ones just for the sake of paranoia. But no different than underpants, really. Wash ‘em together.

I prefer them to using toilet paper with my hand...

They have pinpoint accuracy and can be adjusted to just the right spot using a control or simply adjusting one's posture.

Once done there is an air dryer, toilet paper could be used or nothing done. The dampness wouldn't be unfamiliar to sweating and I don't notice it a few seconds after of standing up. 

I have toto washlet that is plugged in and has it's own water heater.