Det or Chi Noods?

Rumbulls

Super Anarchist
Boyne City
ACE:
The only connection Bacardi had to BYC was the Mac race, and Bacardi doesn't sponsor that anymore.

Mt Gay is served at the Detroit NOODs as it is a SW/Lands End/Mt. Gay event.

Its been a couple of years....and in '04 the bartender at the byc said that he didn't sell that shit on this side of the lake, and also, they don't sell MG in the Ghetto.

Its good to here about the progress in Detroit...we're selling the J24, picking up an Olson30...so maybe we'll be back in a couple years.(after we get the hang of the boat)

L Z

Reporters
Its watered down rum....easy to drink....clear. or did I spell it wrong and you're giving me shit?
She's giving you shit since you haven't figure out that Bacardi has never been involved with the NOOD in Detroit and is no longer a sponsor of the BYC Mac.

Time to wake up pal. NOOD is Mount Gay and has been for a while.

Pack you boat and show up for the races.

LZ

mvining1

Super Anarchist
Great Lakes
Never been to the Chicago NOOD. That's usually Mills race weekend. Done the Detroit NOOD a bunch of times. It's free to launch at Bayview or at any one of a bunch of other places near by. Heard from some T-10 boys that one of the problems with the Chicago NOOD is you have to pay a yard to launch. True?

I can confirm that doing ten Detroit NOODS when measured in liver years is about 25. The party rocks!

Shife

Super Anarchist
Its been a couple of years....and in '04 the bartender at the byc said that he didn't sell that shit on this side of the lake, and also, they don't sell MG in the Ghetto.
The dislike of Mt. Gay at BYC is a whole different subject.

Why do guys from Detroit think that making a loud mechanical drink mixer makes the party that much more cool?

I am surprised that no one has posted about the upstart NOOD in Toronto. I have heard that club makes the Chicago Yacht Club look like a bunch of rebellious peasants. Something about the name Royal on the title.

ChiGuy

Super Anarchist
Never been to the Chicago NOOD. That's usually Mills race weekend. Done the Detroit NOOD a bunch of times. It's free to launch at Bayview or at any one of a bunch of other places near by. Heard from some T-10 boys that one of the problems with the Chicago NOOD is you have to pay a yard to launch. True?
True, there are no launch facilities for a T10 on the lakefront. I believe you can launch trailerable boats (like Melgi) at Burnham harbor. For smaller keelboats like a J/24 or Melgi, there's cranes at Chicago YC Belmont and maybe Corinthian YC at Montrose. But I do not believe they have the capacity for a T10.

glexpress

Super Anarchist
Hill Valley
Why do guys from Detroit think that making a loud mechanical drink mixer makes the party that much more cool?
It just does.

It is just a contributing factor. There is also the fact that the drinks are flowing in the tent on average twice as long as the Chicago NOOD. You are also allowed more than one trip through the food line.

There is also no "caddy day at bushwood" attitude towards the sailors, as the entire BYC membership takes pride in hosting the event. Granted I've never let that atmosphere at the CYC keep me from having fun, I've had a great time there. Only because I have great drinking buddies and I'm easily amused.

Paint shaker aside the party on the dock at BYC is way better in every way, don't believe me? I encourage anybody that does both events to stop and take in their soundings at midnight. You'll find plenty of things going on at BYC, at CYC you'll see pockets of drinkers hanging out on boats. You might even catch me tossing firecrackers at pedestrians walking by CYC. In the bars at each club you'll see the same thing.

I'm fully aware that there is a more captive crowd at BYC seeing as there is a drive involved in going outside the club to do anything. That is a contributing factor to a greater party for sure.

barleymalt

Super Anarchist
Michigan
It is more about the prevailing attitude than any mechanical devices or backpacks that the BYC Melges crowd favor. BYC has always been one of the friendlier clubs to walk into.

Rumbulls

Super Anarchist
Boyne City
She's giving you shit since you haven't figure out that Bacardi has never been involved with the NOOD in Detroit and is no longer a sponsor of the BYC Mac.
Time to wake up pal. NOOD is Mount Gay and has been for a while.

Pack you boat and show up for the races.

LZ
Yeah...no shit! And in '04 they advertised red stripe and Mount gay, and when we got there......BACARDI (they weren't a named sponsor, but no MTGay to be found!!! I remember so clearly) so back off jack, I was telling of my experiences at the Det and CHI NOODS....which is what this thread is about. B)

mvining1

Super Anarchist
Great Lakes
For smaller keelboats like a J/24 or Melgi, there's cranes at Chicago YC Belmont and maybe Corinthian YC at Montrose. But I do not believe they have the capacity for a T10.
Yea used the crane at Belmont before. Got a parking ticket in the lot next door later. I guess another plus for Detroit and Bayview is all you have to worry about is your car getting stolen. Never about a parking ticket.

Having hotels that rent by the hour near by Bayview is also an advantage. Those nice hotels in Chicago are expensive and way too nice.

FastrSailr

Super Anarchist
Detroit
The dislike of Mt. Gay at BYC is a whole different subject.
That dislike is slowly fading into the history of the club. Used to be you'd get chastised for even mentioning MG in the bar. Then, only a delicate few could get away with ordering it. MG is no longer taboo at BYC like it once was. It's just a habit to not order it down there. Besides, who wants MG when you can get a Dark and Stormy?

I can remember not so long ago when BYC staff yelled at me for wearing a Red Hat around the club...

Go Fuck Yourself

Super Anarchist
Fuckoffville
I remember a riot breaking out at a CYC NOOD back in the day; ten people were stabbed, three anal rapes, and 13 people were arrested for public urination. What a wild night...

Last edited by a moderator:

HSG

As a Melges 24 sailor, there is no comparison. I have done both and Detroit rocks. It is all about the racing and the party in Detroit- and with both, if you cannot bring it hard, you better stay at home. Chicago seems like an ideal place to race big boats though.