Devotti Singlehander- D-One

jwlbrace

Super Anarchist
A34 - due south
Anybody got any actual photos of this new boat on the water yet... oh yes, what do people think of it on first impressions?

Devotti D-One

more info, but sadly no photos, here:

http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/?article=145296

3303803884_aa0382f949.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bistros

Super Anarchist
Hiking Dinghy made by Finn boat builders.
They must own stock in the local MRI and Arthroscopic clinics.
I'd love to try it out. It would be nice to see if the boom cleared the side rails though! I just don't have the kind of flexibility I used to have for those "under the prison fence dives" they call tacking in Finns.

Looks comfortable to hike on (if that is possible) - and if they put effort into improving hiking comfort over the Finn, they may have conceded that head & back injuries aren't in the boats best interest.

Appears to be more of a hard core performance approach than the CL Stealth, although the Stealth has steadily been refined by Owen's efforts. I think the Y&Y article is a little ambitious regarding market acceptance and distribution - getting a new performance dinghy class accepted and growing quickly is harder than converting George W. Bush to Islam.

--

Bill

USA190520

Super Anarchist
Hiking Dinghy made by Finn boat builders.
They must own stock in the local MRI and Arthroscopic clinics.
I'd love to try it out. It would be nice to see if the boom cleared the side rails though! I just don't have the kind of flexibility I used to have for those "under the prison fence dives" they call tacking in Finns.

Looks comfortable to hike on (if that is possible) - and if they put effort into improving hiking comfort over the Finn, they may have conceded that head & back injuries aren't in the boats best interest.

Appears to be more of a hard core performance approach than the CL Stealth, although the Stealth has steadily been refined by Owen's efforts. I think the Y&Y article is a little ambitious regarding market acceptance and distribution - getting a new performance dinghy class accepted and growing quickly is harder than converting George W. Bush to Islam.

--

Bill
bill, where is this article, i;d like to see it.

Hawk779

Reminds me a bit of the laser eps... similar toilet seats. Not too sure if the Y&Y article is indicating a weight equalisation system via adjustable wings / different top sections. Not too many classes have been successful in gaining acceptance of this sort of thing.

jwlbrace

Super Anarchist
A34 - due south
Reminds me a bit of the laser eps... similar toilet seats. Not too sure if the Y&Y article is indicating a weight equalisation system via adjustable wings / different top sections. Not too many classes have been successful in gaining acceptance of this sort of thing.

There's hardly any info in the public domain at the moment, a few finn sailors are hypothesising that Luca Devotti will be bringing different shape mast sections offering different bend characteristics to the table- a la finn developements, rather than doing a straight n simple Laser vs Radial downsize for lightweights.

Interesting idea- but it's a bit of a munter in the aesthetics department.

ARNOLD

Anarchist
Could it be that Devotti knows the end of the Finn in the olympics is in clear sight and is developing a replacement?

jwlbrace

Super Anarchist
A34 - due south
Could it be that Devotti knows the end of the Finn in the olympics is in clear sight and is developing a replacement?
well I guess the fact that the Musto Performance Skiff didn't get the nod after countless years in development as the 'Olympic Singlehander Project' he's playing the long odds... does anyway seriously think the finn will get the boot before 2016?

Last edited by a moderator:

bistros

Super Anarchist
well I guess the fact that the Musto Performance Skiff didn't get the nod after countless years in development as the 'Olympic Singlehander Project' he's playing the long odds... does anyway seriously think the finn will get the boot before 2016?
I think (and hope) the Finn will stay as the Olympic mens heavy weight single hand boat. No other boat class as nice as the MPS needs the putrid taint of the Olympics destroying it's future potential. I'd be surprised if future Olympics has as many classes on the water at all - and the Finn is a highly likely victim of trimming the non-TV revenue generating activities.

I'd be surprised if Devoti is trying to position the D-1 as a future Finn - he was involved in initially getting the Musto Performance Skiff off the ground.

The Olympics lost relevence to me when they started to cater to professional athletes and television revenue instead of amateur athletes from worldwide on a level playing field.

The market will decide if this new design has any worldwide potential quick enough. At first glance it looks to be expensive to campaign, with the need for crew-matching tuned carbon masts and equalized competition via wing width tweaking.

--

Bill

USA190520

Super Anarchist
I think (and hope) the Finn will stay as the Olympic mens heavy weight single hand boat. No other boat class as nice as the MPS needs the putrid taint of the Olympics destroying it's future potential. I'd be surprised if future Olympics has as many classes on the water at all - and the Finn is a highly likely victim of trimming the non-TV revenue generating activities.

I'd be surprised if Devoti is trying to position the D-1 as a future Finn - he was involved in initially getting the Musto Performance Skiff off the ground.

The Olympics lost relevence to me when they started to cater to professional athletes and television revenue instead of amateur athletes from worldwide on a level playing field.

The market will decide if this new design has any worldwide potential quick enough. At first glance it looks to be expensive to campaign, with the need for crew-matching tuned carbon masts and equalized competition via wing width tweaking.

--

Bill

IMHO the RS700 or Musto skiff should replace something....

but what.... i agree on your view on the olympics.... but if we can get some exciting classes involved in the sailing events, we may generate some more interest in sailing as TV coverage tunes in to watch....it's a double edged sword..

lukepiewalker

Anarchist
Scotia
I think he just wanted a boat more towards the Musto Skiff, but that he could sail. He posted on the Y and Y forum that after all the development work on the Musto Skiff he found he couldn't actually sail it.

BalticBandit

Super Anarchist

--

Bill

IMHO the RS700 or Musto skiff should replace something....

but what.... i agree on your view on the olympics.... but if we can get some exciting classes involved in the sailing events, we may generate some more interest in sailing as TV coverage tunes in to watch....it's a double edged sword..
According to one of the IYRU officers I talked to back in 1999, the sailing event was the most expensive/competitor event for the Olympics to run and hence not only to they want to limit classes but competitors/class (not sure how that last works out in numbers but...)

The problem the Finn faces is that it doesn't test any particular set of skills that the Laser doesn't and so I agree that its likely to get cut.

If they need a replacement - A Musto style skiff would very much fit the bill since it is much more telegenic. I could also see the 470 going since it is somewhat a duplicate of the 49er.

Frankly what I'd like to see as an Oly slate is

Windsurfer: Open and womens

Laser: Open and womens

Solings, Etchells or Stars (both course and match racing): Open and Womens

49er: Open and women's

Tornado or F18: Open and womens

Done.

Hawk779

According to one of the IYRU officers I talked to back in 1999, the sailing event was the most expensive/competitor event for the Olympics to run and hence not only to they want to limit classes but competitors/class (not sure how that last works out in numbers but...)
The problem the Finn faces is that it doesn't test any particular set of skills that the Laser doesn't and so I agree that its likely to get cut.

If they need a replacement - A Musto style skiff would very much fit the bill since it is much more telegenic. I could also see the 470 going since it is somewhat a duplicate of the 49er.

Done.
Whilst this isn't a thread about olympic classes but there's a few wild comments in that one. 49'ers are chalk and cheese from a 470, Tornado, now why have they been drop from 2012. As for the ladies in 49'ers go for it but the concept of the 29erXX was probably more appropriate and they've been left out... . As for the the Keelboats I simple don't get it why the Star is still there, so many more relevant classes

In the current format Sailing in the Olympic format doesn't interest me. The 49er is a step in the right direction. As for the D-One, I would put a skiff in it's place and say the heavy weight sailors get down the gym....

BalticBandit

Super Anarchist

Done.
Whilst this isn't a thread about olympic classes but there's a few wild comments in that one. 49'ers are chalk and cheese from a 470, Tornado, now why have they been drop from 2012. As for the ladies in 49'ers go for it but the concept of the 29erXX was probably more appropriate and they've been left out... . As for the the Keelboats I simple don't get it why the Star is still there, so many more relevant classes

In the current format Sailing in the Olympic format doesn't interest me. The 49er is a step in the right direction. As for the D-One, I would put a skiff in it's place and say the heavy weight sailors get down the gym....
The only gotcha with the "heavyweight sailors get down to the gym" is that I was 75kg in HS while I was on the ski-race team as a 16yo. By middle of Uni, I'd added upper body strength and to get to 79-80kg required me to have bodyfat below 10%. Now if I'm going to compete at the Oly level, that's an acceptable standard, but the idea that I cant compete even regionally in any performance dinghy because of how I'm built (good eastern euro peasant/serf: square legs, arms and shoulders - thick head) then I'm going to get frustrated. That's what initially drew me to the 49er because it did have "weight compensation". Turned out that the weight compensation didn't really work, but that's another story.

bistros

Super Anarchist
The only gotcha with the "heavyweight sailors get down to the gym" is that I was 75kg in HS while I was on the ski-race team as a 16yo. By middle of Uni, I'd added upper body strength and to get to 79-80kg required me to have bodyfat below 10%. Now if I'm going to compete at the Oly level, that's an acceptable standard, but the idea that I cant compete even regionally in any performance dinghy because of how I'm built (good eastern euro peasant/serf: square legs, arms and shoulders - thick head) then I'm going to get frustrated. That's what initially drew me to the 49er because it did have "weight compensation". Turned out that the weight compensation didn't really work, but that's another story.
You are laboring under the "rose-colored glasses" perspective that sports should be fair. Sports are not fair. Most sports tend to favor specific body types (basketball anyone?), and those of us who do not meet the pre-determined optimum body type just have to work harder and accept that someone else may be able to get better results with less effort.

--

Bill

Latest posts